DVDVR Message Board

The "have they ever wrestled?" thread

For whatever reason I found myself watching the 2007 Royal Rumble the other night and Finlay and Flair were the first two entrants.  That prompted me to look up matches between the two and a 2007 Smackdown match was all I could find. During the intros, JR(?) said that this was the first time the two of them had ever met.

I know that with google, youtube, cagematch, etc this is something that people can look up themselves, but these sites are seldom all-inclusive and others here might have more knowledge about a potential matchup offhand or be able to make recommendations.  Anyways...

Have these ever happened-

Terry Funk vs. Finlay

Terry Funk vs. Regal

Finlay vs Rick Martel

Finlay and Funk were in a Battle Royal together during the ECW WWE days

Plus they were on opposing teams in a 3-way Hardcore Tag match

WWE Vs. ECW: Head To Head
Jun 7th 2006 The Big Show Def. Al Snow, Balls Mahoney, Bobby Lashley, Carlito, Edge, Finlay, Justin Credible, Kurt Angle, Little Guido, Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, Shelton Benjamin, Stevie Richards, Tatanka, Terry Funk, The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Tony Mamaluke Battle Royale

WCW Thunder
Apr 11th 2000 Norman Smiley & Terry Funk Def. Hugh Morrus & Meng, Brian Knobbs & Fit Finlay Three-Way Hardcore Tag

I know that with google, youtube, cagematch, etc this is something that people can look up themselves, but these sites are seldom all-inclusive and others here might have more knowledge about a potential matchup offhand or be able to make recommendations. 

I think people should supply proof that they exhausted these methods before posting a question in this thread.

Pretty sure it never happened but Vader vs Kevin Nash would be very interesting to see.

There is this, not taped: 

WCW @ Cleveland, OH - Public Hall - March 19, 1992

Ron Simmons & Big Josh fought Big Van Vader & Vinnie Vegas to a double disqualification; Simmons sustained an eye injury early on and was replaced by Marcus Alexander Bagwell; the match ended after Simmons came back out, with a brawl ensuing

How about Rude vs Bret and Rude vs Savage? I guess BRet/Rude could have been on a house show in '88 or '89. Not sure when a rude/savage could have taken place, maybe Memphis?

You would be correct

The Hulk Hogan vs Genichiro Tenryu match that was posted in the Hogan of the day thread, I had no clue these two had wrestlied in SWS of all places and not New Japan. That was news to me, that Hogan wrestled over in Japan for anyone other then Inoki.

Re: Flair vs. Abby, they wrestled in Amarillo 1977...JJ Dillon managed Flair who came in.

Also,
JUNE 23, 1978 @ ATLANTA OMNI
Stan Hansen & Dick Slater d. Ric Flair & Abdullah the Butcher
Dusty Rhodes d. Ernie Ladd
Tony Atlas & Thunderbolt Patterson d. Ole Anderson & Ivan Koloff
Mr. Wrestling II d. the Assassin
Handicap Match: King Kong Mosca d. Klondike Bill & Bill Irwin
Pez Whatley & Rick Martel d. Hartford Love & the French Angel
Rick McGraw d. Len Denton

I think I asked this recently but I was rather shocked there isn't a televised Flair vs Abdullah the Butcher match. I'm not sure they ever had a singles match.

In regards to the singles match part - do you mean ever or on TV?

I am only asking because I know they had a singles match against each other sometime in Texas in the 70s

EDIT - What ML said

The Hulk Hogan vs Genichiro Tenryu match that was posted in the Hogan of the day thread, I had no clue these two had wrestlied in SWS of all places and not New Japan. That was news to me, that Hogan wrestled over in Japan for anyone other then Inoki.

Back in the early 90s, WWF had a co-promotion deal going with SWS. That's how Tenryu ended up in the 93 Rumble.

Back in the early 90s, WWF had a co-promotion deal going with SWS. That's how Tenryu ended up in the 93 Rumble.

Which led to the memorable sight of Boxcar Valentine vs. Great Kabuki complete with the "She's Got The Look" intro for the Hammer.

Also Tenryu and Kabuki in '94.

Which led to the memorable sight of Boxcar Valentine vs. Great Kabuki complete with the "She's Got The Look" intro for the Hammer.

Video proof of that last bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynhlXsm1ug

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Isn't that Shane McMahon as the ref too, or are my eyes failing me?

Have Kurt Angle and Mick Foley ever had a match? I wasnt watching TNA when Foley was there so I wouldnt know of they did or not. I'd image they where both in a King of a Mountain or Lethal Lockdown but I'm talking about an actual one on one match.

Also Tenryu and Kabuki in '94.

And Tenryu and Kitao at WM7 against Smash & Crush.

Isn't that Shane McMahon as the ref too, or are my eyes failing me?

So odd seeing Valentine IN JAPAN dressed as Elvis due to that damned team with HTM. Without the Elvis stuff, in the ring, he looks a lot like Choshu.