DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KONNAN

RIPPA

Hey I was actually gonna ask this again the other day, what were the stips/gimmicks of the Star of Death match again?

Found via a random message board

"Match 6: What started as a four-man street fight in the main event ended up as ten men setting new standards for danger and intensity, with the post mortem in the dressing room looking more like the aftermath of the Battle of New Orleans (the real one, not the Eddie Gilbert angle. Konnan, Aguayo, Perro Aguayo Jr., Super Calo and Rey Misterio Jr. ended up in a 16-sided cage shaped like an eight-point star with Cibernetico, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera(who will be the best wrestler in the world in three years, if not sooner as he's a younger version of Chris Benoit right now), Halloween, and Damian. Besides the requisite broken tables and multitude of chair shots, came all kinds of stunts from numerous dives off the top of the cage and numerous dangerous stunts using a ladder. While the match wasn't as good as the Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match, it was better than any of their other ladder matches. Among the stunts-- 1) With both Psicosis and Guerrera on the next to the top step of the ladder ready for a double-dive, Misterio Jr. did either a flying crossbody off the cage or a shoulderblock off the cage onto the ladder, tipping the ladder over, and Psicosis did a Brian Pillman spot where he on the way down caught his throat(or chin or face) on the top of the cage; 2) Psicosis did a Liger bomb on Aguayo Sr. through a table; 3 & 4) Misterio Jr. did Frankensteiners both off the top of the ladder and off the top of the cage; 5) Calo did a legdrop off the very top of the ladder; 6 & 7) With Psicosis on Konnan's shoulders, Misterio Jr. & Calo both came off the next to the top step of the ladder with a double clothesline and he took a flip bump. Misterio Jr. & Calo did the same thing, this time off the cage of the cage, onto Guerrera

who took an even better flip bump; 8) Konnan power bombed Cibernetico through a table and part of the table shot onto his forehead causing a very deep cut which would up with an incredible amount of blood because of arterial damage; 8) Calo came off the top of the cage with a chair under his butt and did a somersault like a Nakano somersault legdrop, both off the top of the cage with the chair underneath him, onto Psicosis; 9) Aguayo Jr. did a splash off the top of the cage, as did both Psicosis and Guerrera; 10) Guerrera did a dropkick off the top of the cage; 11) Cibernetico did a Muto handspring elbow into the corner but Konnan caught him around the waist and gave him a german suplex (Keiji Muto/Rick Steiner spot). There was a lot more, but those were the highlights and you get the picture. Anyway, after 14:28 of this carnage, the babyfaces climbed the cage and escaped to win, Cibernetico was left in the ring dead doing a Shawn Michaels gimmick, and Konnan was legitimately taken to the hospital and needed 33
stitches-- 18 inside the head to repair the opened up artery. Everyone else except for Aguayo, Aguayo Jr. and Guerrera were hobbling around with knee, hip, and ankle problems. Cien Caras was long gone before any of the "fun" started. Konnan set up the entire match with his regular Tijuana crew changing it from a UFC style match as had been planned to a match combining all the craziest spots he'd seen on ECW and Sabu tapes (minus the cage dive through three tables at once) and adding twists that had never been done before in ECW because this crew is smaller and more versatile and skillful."
This is Meltzer's review of the AAA Star of Death match. Unfortunately, the TV crew didn't show up, so the match wasn't filmed.

Hey I was actually gonna ask this again the other day, what were the stips/gimmicks of the Star of Death match again?

Found via a random message board

"Match 6: What started as a four-man street fight in the main event ended up as ten men setting new standards for danger and intensity, with the post mortem in the dressing room looking more like the aftermath of the Battle of New Orleans (the real one, not the Eddie Gilbert angle. Konnan, Aguayo, Perro Aguayo Jr., Super Calo and Rey Misterio Jr. ended up in a 16-sided cage shaped like an eight-point star with Cibernetico, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera(who will be the best wrestler in the world in three years, if not sooner as he's a younger version of Chris Benoit right now), Halloween, and Damian. Besides the requisite broken tables and multitude of chair shots, came all kinds of stunts from numerous dives off the top of the cage and numerous dangerous stunts using a ladder. While the match wasn't as good as the Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match, it was better than any of their other ladder matches. Among the stunts-- 1) With both Psicosis and Guerrera on the next to the top step of the ladder ready for a double-dive, Misterio Jr. did either a flying crossbody off the cage or a shoulderblock off the cage onto the ladder, tipping the ladder over, and Psicosis did a Brian Pillman spot where he on the way down caught his throat(or chin or face) on the top of the cage; 2) Psicosis did a Liger bomb on Aguayo Sr. through a table; 3 & 4) Misterio Jr. did Frankensteiners both off the top of the ladder and off the top of the cage; 5) Calo did a legdrop off the very top of the ladder; 6 & 7) With Psicosis on Konnan's shoulders, Misterio Jr. & Calo both came off the next to the top step of the ladder with a double clothesline and he took a flip bump. Misterio Jr. & Calo did the same thing, this time off the cage of the cage, onto Guerrera

who took an even better flip bump; 8) Konnan power bombed Cibernetico through a table and part of the table shot onto his forehead causing a very deep cut which would up with an incredible amount of blood because of arterial damage; 8) Calo came off the top of the cage with a chair under his butt and did a somersault like a Nakano somersault legdrop, both off the top of the cage with the chair underneath him, onto Psicosis; 9) Aguayo Jr. did a splash off the top of the cage, as did both Psicosis and Guerrera; 10) Guerrera did a dropkick off the top of the cage; 11) Cibernetico did a Muto handspring elbow into the corner but Konnan caught him around the waist and gave him a german suplex (Keiji Muto/Rick Steiner spot). There was a lot more, but those were the highlights and you get the picture. Anyway, after 14:28 of this carnage, the babyfaces climbed the cage and escaped to win, Cibernetico was left in the ring dead doing a Shawn Michaels gimmick, and Konnan was legitimately taken to the hospital and needed 33
stitches-- 18 inside the head to repair the opened up artery. Everyone else except for Aguayo, Aguayo Jr. and Guerrera were hobbling around with knee, hip, and ankle problems. Cien Caras was long gone before any of the "fun" started. Konnan set up the entire match with his regular Tijuana crew changing it from a UFC style match as had been planned to a match combining all the craziest spots he'd seen on ECW and Sabu tapes (minus the cage dive through three tables at once) and adding twists that had never been done before in ECW because this crew is smaller and more versatile and skillful."
This is Meltzer's review of the AAA Star of Death match. Unfortunately, the TV crew didn't show up, so the match wasn't filmed.

I was about to ask if this was that same infamous match that so many people have found randomly on comp tapes featuring a flaming bat and a bunch of other insanity, but then saw that line at the end about it not being filmed.  This whole thing sounds almost mythic in its outlandishness.

Aw, it warmed my heart to see the INSTANT FLOOD of hate for the K-dawg. Thanks guys! To paraphrase George Carlin, Konnan wrestled like old people fuck: slow and sloppy. His moves stunk, his catchphrases reeked, and oh GOD he was just worthless. It's hard to say whether him or Vampiro was consistently voted Least Valuable Luchadore during the weekly We Watch Shitty WCW meetings, but at least Vamp kinda looked cool and could occasionally move fast. Konnan sometimes looked downright unhealthy to himself in the ring, getting so blown up that he seemed to be having a heart attack. Even Konnan's GEAR sucked; how the hell do you wrestle in saggy underwear, revealing more of your buttcrack than goddamn Lita did? Yet he was living proof that proper booking can get ANYONE over, because people were popping like maniacs whenever his Wolfpack music hit.

I did hang out with him once, after a TNA show. (Not like one-on-one, but me being the odd man out in a roomful of stars.) Weird dude, actually kinda intimidating. Acted and spoke at times like a gangster; not New Jack, I mean more like fuckin' Michael Corleone. And he just KEPT hitting gay jokes on poor Juventud, who was curled up on the couch like a silent midget-elf and hardly said a word the whole time. Konnan did at least have one moment of funny self-deprecation, when he mentioned talking to that jacked-up hispanic dude Apollo: he'd said something about being inspired by Konnan's picture on posters when he was growing up in Puerto Rico. "And here I am now, asking the guy for bodybuilding tips!" (Much later, I wondered if this was code for "...asking the guy for a juice hookup".)

Road Dogg at least was working his ass off in the hardcore stuff earlier in the year, and I'll believe it if someone said the NAO had good matches in early 98. I don't want to go back and watch, but I'd believe it.

They actually did. Their feud against Foley/Funk was tons of fun. All those matches with the Headbangers have aged pretty well too. Hell, they've been fun RECENTLY in their totally self-aware act as two washed-up jobbers who are still clinging to the fading glory of an obsolete nostalgia act and the coattails of powerful friends. Aside from the repetitive catchphrases, the NAO as a team are actually better than you remember. Heck, just give a good close look at Billy Gunn's bumping sometime and prepare to be occasionally amazed.

So you guys are telling me all the people who told me that Konnan was good in Mexico are a god damned lie?  It didn't seem possible to me, but so many people tried to tell me that me was really good and only became fat, lazy, and sloppy when he got to WCW.  Thank you guys for clearing this up, I have some people to find and cuss out.

Ditto. I've had plenty of people tell me the stinky main event to When Worlds Collide was all Perro's fault. Good to know that's a filthy fucking lie.

And hey, anyone got that one infamous ROH match? I doubt they'd give a shit if anyone posted it now.

Oh man, did anyone run the ropes slower and move with less authority than Konnan?  My god, remember how everyone had to go so slowly into the ropes so Konnan could do a tumbling clothesline?  I've seen playgrounds filled with preschoolers doing faster somersaults.  I'm not sure that was batter or worse than his little kick to the tummy, dance spin, X factor thing.  Just head slapping bad.

Konnan is also living proof that wrestling crowds will chant along with anything if its repeated enough times.

RE: Billy Gunn and his bumping I watched a clothesline from hell montage the other day (don't you judge me!) and half of it was Billy doing the Marty Jannetty/Rikishi flip.  It was pretty fun.

Damn my eyes for doing this, but I found Konnan/Sandman... fittingly, on Dailymotion. I've never seen it before and actually wanted to (apparently the crowd felt the same way about Konnan that we do) but there's no way I'll see it on here. But you can!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59fu9_the-sandman-vs-konnan-ecw-house-par_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59fx7_the-sandman-vs-konnan-ecw-house-par_sport

If you really want to torture yourself, Konnan vs. Jake the Snake vs. Cien Caras is on Dailymotion. I think I would deserve to be banned if I posted that though.

On the topic of Vampiro, am I correct in remembering some shoot of his where he said Abby taught him to bump in a hotel room because he had never learned how?

Sadly Konnan vs Sandman and Konnan/Rey Jr vs La Parka and Psicosis aren't on youtube. The best Konnan is Konan Big though.

Grr.  As if I didn't hate Konnan enough.  Fucking useless-ass Konnan.

I'm late to this, but is there a wrestler with more botch GIFs than Konnan? I don't wanna know if there is. I never noticed at the time (mainly 'cause I never paid attention to his matches), but damn he was sloppy.

God, they played that music video every 5 seconds on Nitro. Killed any chance of anyone liking the guy. You never push someone down people's throats that hard without expecting a major backlash.

I always remember tracking down Juventud Guerrera's first PPV match against Konnan a few years after it happened and I was aware of Konnan talking up the luchadores and how great they were and how he brought them to WCW then was puzzled to watch the match where he basically buried Juvy, taking his offence and no-selling a good amount of it, never really letting him get in much of highlight and stiffing the shit out of him.  That was the first time I disliked Konnan.

But then I really dug him as gangsta Konnan and thought that gimmick had legs, then he inexplicably joined the Dungeon of Doom and it made absolutely ZERO sense to me.  Then he started rapping and saying the same thing EVERY week ("Bow down and peel my potato!") and I tapped out completely.

If I were forced to pick one time I enjoyed Konnan, it was his involvement in this match. Sure, it is an overbooked Rey/Juvy spotfest, but there was something there that just made me smile at the time. The fun starts about the 6:15 mark.

• 5 weeks later...

This man Konnan loves butchering folks name man. Just called that man "Luke Rowan."

Somebody sent a Mailbag question to try and bait him into naming as many current WWE wrestlers within a minute. Konnan said he was too high to even try. That would have been good.