DVDVR Message Board

I've Never Seen Star Wars

Fuzzy Dunlop

So, you don't like it because of... the fans who take it too far? I don't get it. What's that got to do with the show's content, whether it's any good or not? There's approximately fifty billion Christians with whom I can't have a civil conversation about my personal beliefs, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to totally mark out for the story of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane (which I totally do mark out for).

Also: you're not including the entire original TV show in your broad dismissal, since Klingons never had a separate language back then. They just spoke English, like all the other aliens... which, of course, makes no real sense at all. (Same thing in the animated series.) Why is it so weird to compose a new fake language for a fictional race of sentient beings? Linguists have been doing that shit in their spare time for centuries.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of legit reasons to dislike the Trek. But I just don't understand the ones you named. Along similar lines, it's not like Harry Potter invented the entire idea of "magick" in the first place, in fact J.K. Rowling blatantly stole like 99% of of her stuff from many other sources before repurposing it and mashing it all together George Lucas-style.

You're arguing with a guy that has a cartoon for an avatar that dismissed the entirety of science fiction as dumb out of hand. Save your energy.

• Like 1

AxB vs This List:

Breaking Bad (seen the first two seasons, the other one I own the boxsets but haven't watched yet)

Justified (Seen all of it)

Mad Men (Not interested)

30 Rock (Nah)

How I Met Your Mother (Nah)

Deadwood (Seen, and will watch again)

The Wire (Seen twice at least)

24 (Apparently it's Neo-Con propaganda. No thanks)

The Shield (Seen and own)

Dexter (Seen. Won't watch again, it gets terrible)

House (Nah)

Glee (Gave up after 2 seasons)

Friday Night Lights (Not been on a proper channel in UK)

Sons Of Anarchy (Seen)

Rescue Me (Is that the Dennis Leary one? I saw the first episode once)

True Blood (Gave up after 5 seasons - too late)

The Closer (Never even heard of this one)

Brian, why's your avatar Christina Hendricks if you don't watch Mad Men?

Saw her on some talk show or something, don't remember and, well, I like boobies.

She's an excellent reason to watch pretty much anything she's ever in.

Also, Fowler, I'm halfway with you on The Wire. I saw the first season and about half of the second, before just losing interest and wandering away. It felt kinda like they were trying to mash Homicide, The Sopranos, and The Shield into one super-epic cops-&-criminals story. But so much of the stuff was humdrum "we watch cops doing surveillance work for half the episode" procedural stuff that by the end I found myself not caring nearly as much as I should've.

She is an excellent reason to watch Firefly.

She's on Firefly? Well shit now I have a reason to watch it besides my girlfriend constantly telling me "It's so awesome!"

All I ever hear about The Wire is "well it takes a couple of seasons to get really good" which isn't really terribly promising. See also: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Um, shouldn't a TV show be good from, you know, the beginning?

The Wire is good from the beginning, it just takes time to pick up speed and introduce you to all the characters and plotlines. People just don't have patience and/or taste. Not aimed at anyone specific here, just judging from the reactions I've been given all over.

She is an excellent reason to watch Firefly.

She's on Firefly? Well shit now I have a reason to watch it besides my girlfriend constantly telling me "It's so awesome!"
Only two episodes. Which ain't saying much, though, since the whole show only ran for like a dozen episodes total. And she's amazing in those two episodes. She's pretty damn good on Mad Men too, but all too often the show kinda forgets about her character for too-long periods of time.

The Wire is good from the beginning, it just takes time to pick up speed and introduce you to all the characters and plotlines. People just don't have patience and/or taste. Not aimed at anyone specific here, just judging from the reactions I've been given all over.

I'd readily admit to fitting that description. Not that the show wasn't good, it totally was, but it moved VERY slowly, had a HUGE amount of characters and backstory you had to memorize, and just didn't personally draw me in like my real favorite shows do.

I coined a term for when the fanbase of a show/band/federation/movie is the main reason you don't want to see it.

I call it "browncoating"

Or as Rippa and I often say, "The fans that like the same things that I do sometimes make me want to hate those things."

• Like 1

I've never seen Jaws.

Again, this stirkes me similarly as not seeing THE GODFATHER, as in HOW is that possible? Even if you had no interest or desire to see it, it seems impossible that you wouldn't run across one of the zillion times it's aired on cable and eventually just give in to it.

I mean, I guess with JAWS there's the additional factor of maybe you have an intense fear of sharks or a desire not to have the beach ruined for you forever.

I've never seen Jaws.

Again, this stirkes me similarly as not seeing THE GODFATHER, as in HOW is that possible? Even if you had no interest or desire to see it, it seems impossible that you wouldn't run across one of the zillion times it's aired on cable and eventually just give in to it.

I mean, I guess with JAWS there's the additional factor of maybe you have an intense fear of sharks or a desire not to have the beach ruined for you forever.

I've never seen Jaws either.

I've never seen Jaws.

I've never seen Jaws either.

Yeah, me either.