DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

My old Jeep had the same problem. Engine light came on, and nothing would turn it off. The code checker came back with 'small emissions leak' but nobody could find anything. it got to the point where a mechanic guaranteed he could get it turned off and kept off, and it would only cost me $600. Since my wife had a perfectly fine car, and we worked opposite shifts, we declined that offer.  

My daughter attends pre-kindergarten at a small Lutheran school in the city, partly because we didn't want her to go to Catholic school, but Philadelphia public schools, by and large, are absolutely abysmal and the charter school system is a crapshoot at best. (And because of my wife's job, we have to live within city lines.)

We got a letter yesterday from the teachers and staff saying that the school board (mainly just the church's pastor and some other people) recommended the school's closure after this year.

My wife spent all night filling out applications for charter schools in the event of the worst case, but I'm still panicking.

This one's a little personal...

Last night was my wife's night to host her ladies bunko group.  The gathering includes dinner for all, wine, blah blah blah.  A fun time was had by everyone.  When it came time to leave, one guest says to my wife something like "you don't need our help cleaning up since you don't have kids" or words to that effect.  It was meant to be a "ha ha" kind of thing since nobody ever stays to help clean up the hostess's home.  But, see...it's not like we CHOSE to not have kids.  It's not like my wife WANTED to be part of the age group that was poisoned by infected milk in Michigan as a child, thus knocking about 7 years off her child-bearing years and giving her the colon cancer she had 3 years ago.  It's not like she CHOSE to have 4 miscarriages - at least.  So...yeah, that comment stung.  A lot.  And it's hardly the 100th time she's heard the "...you don't have kids..." thing in some context other than just a factual statement.  And I know there was no malice intended by the woman who said it but still.  How about not saying anything about what can be a very sensitive subject for a lot of people?  So...yeah.  My wife took it pretty well but she was obviously upset by the comment and that, in turn, upsets me.  :(

That's a very inappropriate comment even if none of what happened to your wife had, but that's just incredibly insensitive and mean if the person who said it is aware of it, intentionally or otherwise. The actual stuff she went through and you vis a vis being her husband is horrible enough to have to deal with without something like that. Hopefully, the insensitivity of the comment won't linger too long in terms of the emotional impact it has on you guys, you have my respect either way.

• Like 1

We have to do some emergency car shopping this weekend.  I'm just hoping we don't get boned too badly.

On the upside having car problems gets us out of going to the girlfriend's mom's house for Christmas, so I get to spend xmas day in my robe drinking, as god intended.

My wife has PCOS, so her fertility was always in question, especially as she gets older. That we conceived our daughter without trying and had zero complications was nothing short of a miracle.

She wants another child, but I don't know if we can afford the private school expenses when said child gets to be school-age (see above for my opinions on Philadelphia public schools).

Man, fuck those people, Tabe. The wife's friends must have known about the issues in the past. That's just insensitive shit dude.

Very, very few of our friends know the details I've shared here. The friend in question absolutely did not know my wife's backstory. Still incredibly insensitive.

And thanks everybody.

Sorry to hear about that bullshit, Tabe. I just had a daughter earlier this year and pray that I don't become one of those asswipe parents who plays the "I have kids/you don't have kids" card every chance I get.

We get that all the time despite the fact that my wife basically was the mother to a niece & nephew as their nanny and that three of our nieces and nephews have lived with us for long stretches. Good on you for trying to not be "that guy".
  • Like 1

Got a call from my brother than he had taken my Mom to his house because she had fallen last night after drinking.  She had really bad alcohol problems & depression when I was young but as far as we'd known she hadn't relapsed in nearly 25 years.  We all talked with her today and turns out she's been doing this for a couple months now while hiding it from all of us.

So Christmas has turned from looking for presents for Mom to looking for rehab facilities.

My four year old came down with a 103 degree fever tonight. Every Christmas since 2010 (my older one's first Christmas) one of both of the girls gets sick. The doctor ran some cultures and it's just a viral infection that will probably pass in a day or two. So, we just have to keep her hydrated and on the children's Tylenol. 

My wife got an endless amount of shit similar to what Tabe described, mainly from her own mother.  Our son finally being born after a decade of trying everything imaginable just shifted her focus.  Now her new thing is to tell my wife how terrible a job she's doing - basically that my wife isn't Donna Reed, and how much of a better job she did as a mother.  Of course, she forgets to mention that she and her husband had a full time housekeeper at the house every day, and that my wife never actually lived with them - she lived with, and was raised by, her grandparents.

Biting my tongue on that sucks, but if I say anything she'll just take it out on my wife, rather than saying anything back to me.

My car problems are nothing compared to the stuff on the last page or so...check-engine light went off on its own yesterday, so hopefully no worries for the time being.

Hope everybody spends the holidays with their loved ones...I've got some family time ahead for this evening and tomorrow.

Don't worry, when in doubt. (The one in my father's truck has been on as long as I can remember and it's not even anything to care about, so they just ignore it as does my uncle's shop he goes too. He was a grease monkey back in the day, so if something is actually wrong he can probably tell.)

4pgXXfv.jpg

My wife got an endless amount of shit similar to what Tabe described, mainly from her own mother.  Our son finally being born after a decade of trying everything imaginable just shifted her focus.  Now her new thing is to tell my wife how terrible a job she's doing - basically that my wife isn't Donna Reed, and how much of a better job she did as a mother.  Of course, she forgets to mention that she and her husband had a full time housekeeper at the house every day, and that my wife never actually lived with them - she lived with, and was raised by, her grandparents.

Biting my tongue on that sucks, but if I say anything she'll just take it out on my wife, rather than saying anything back to me.

Jesus. That is shitty on so many levels.

Dear Shitty Third Party Amazon Sellers

Don't try and swindle my Mom. Especially in regards to Christmas presents.

Because now you are dealing with me and my sister

So yeah there is no way to "fix this bitterness that we have" as you put it in the email.

• Like 2

I was buying some stuff on Amazon, and you have to be REALLY careful to make sure the stuff you wanted got there on time. Like stuff that was by Amazon and by the 3rd party stuff is not clearly delineated, so you can't tell sometimes until its time to check on shipping delivery dates. . .