DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

30 minutes ago, jumbojustice said:

I agree it's by no means an easy problem to solve. But I suppose the counter argument to what you said would be that there are tons of examples of countries where buying a gun is more difficult and where gun control is stricter, and these countries tend to have a lot less gun violence and mass shootings. Whereas drug prohibition seems to fail wherever it is tried. So I don't know if that analogy is totally apt.

There are obviously cultural factors relating to views on guns that make America a special case, but in principal it's hard to see why America shouldn't be able to get to where almost every other country is, if the political will was there. It wouldn't happen over night though, that's for sure.

But think about how many guns are already in circulation. And think about the black market trade that would spring up for guns, probably made in foreign countries. Plus you know there'd be people making them on the sly here like people are growing bunches of pot in states where it's still against the law. And don't even get me started on 3-D printing.

Genie's out of the bottle. We can cap the bottle, but I'm not sure we're stuffing that genie back in.

All good points. If it is possible to change, I think it would take years, probably decades, of slowly rolling things back by tightening regulations and taking guns out of circulation, plus limiting the number (and type) of guns going into circulation. More importantly, I think it would require addressing the strange cultural notions that more guns = more freedom, that more guns is the solution to every problem, and that any attempt to have a rational discussion about guns is an evil government plot. And I don't know how you would even go about doing that, really.

4 hours ago, jstout said:

It bothered me to the core that I was much more bothered by Draymond Green getting suspended than the shootings because the shootings are just another side effect of living in America.

I mean, no president is gonna march the military into people's houses confiscating guns, let's be real with ourselves. And there's already so many guns out there that you're not putting that genie back in the bottle. And if you tighten gun shop buying, they'll buy somewhere else. It's like trying to illegalize drugs. If someone wants to do drugs bad enough or buy a gun bad enough, there'll be a way.

There could be a mass, 50-person shooting every day in America and nothing will ever change. Ever.

That attitude is why we are where we are and I don't at all mean that as a dig. 

I refuse to not want better.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vincey Greene said:

That attitude is why we are where we are and I don't at all mean that as a dig. 

I refuse to not want better.

No dig taken.

And you can want better all you want, but that don't mean it's gonna get better. That Jim Beam commercial makes me want Mila Kunis, but I doubt she's dropping by the house anytime soon.

I want things to change, too, but the gun culture is too entrenched, too dug in, too old to be stopped now, between the money and the politicians and the cold dead hands crowd. If you take it away, people will want it more, just like alcohol during prohibition. And even if there is a ban put in place, as soon as the political stars line up the wrong way for gun control, any gains made will be lost immediately. That's one of the seeemingly thousands of reasons why nothing will change.

Seems like Murphy at least got the bills they had waiting around doing nothing to be put up for a vote, so that's at least a minor success. Anyone stupid enough to vote against the basic junk that they are is going to get hurt badly in the general if they're spot is up.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Seems like Murphy at least got the bills they had waiting around doing nothing to be put up for a vote, so that's at least a minor success. Anyone stupid enough to vote against the basic junk that they are is going to get hurt badly in the general if they're spot is up.

Never underestimate the stupidity of politicians who are so far up the NRA's ass that they know what Wayne LaPierre had for breakfast.

Either way it's heartening to see dems standing on this issue and not running from it.  It could be a temporary thing given that

1) this is a presidential election year and lefties tend to actually show up for those as opposed to a midterm year when they stay home

2) Maybe this is a little bit of dividends from the Bernie bump, coming off a primary with a strong progressive surge among young voters there is energy on the left

Or maybe it's longer term and the NRA is no longer a guaranteed plus for the right in national elections and in some states...and in some states and national politics may now be a liability.  Certainly Clinton is running as way more overtly pro gun control than Obama ever would have dared.  That may be just because she's freed up a bit since she's running against a sentient slug and not a viable opponent or it could be a sign that it's no longer something to be afraid of as a national candidate.

22 hours ago, jstout said:

But think about how many guns are already in circulation. And think about the black market trade that would spring up for guns, probably made in foreign countries. Plus you know there'd be people making them on the sly here like people are growing bunches of pot in states where it's still against the law. And don't even get me started on 3-D printing.

Genie's out of the bottle. We can cap the bottle, but I'm not sure we're stuffing that genie back in.

When I was growing up, there was a bridge in my hometown that was close to a bar and had a shockingly high rate of suicide from people getting drunk and jumping off it. Like, dozens of suicides a year. It was insane. When I was about 10, they put a fence on a bridge, so you'd have to climb it if you wanted to kill yourself. The rate dropped dramatically. There was another bridge less than a quarter mile away on the same road that would have been just as effective, but the immediacy was gone, and so was the problem. 

This is obviously anecdotal, but I think you are underestimating the effect that even the mildest deterrents have on people. Will gun control stop gun violence? No, only a fool would argue that. That being said, we have to do something to set the generations after us up for success. I would gladly live in a world with horrific gun violence and laws that make it theoretically harder to defend myself if it even had the most minor chance of making people's lives better 30 years from now.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jstout said:

EDIT: I meant to quote the above post by JRGoldman. This system hates my phone.

Right. Exactly this.

I have a daughter. One day she will quite possibly have children. I'm looking out for them. I'm already 35, I have no illusions about a peaceful easy America.

• Like 1

I don't get or ever understand how when someone says "hey, maybe we need universal background checks and maybe people on the FBI watch list shouldn't be able to buy AR-15s or hey maybe people who have mental issues shouldn't be buying guns"  someone else replies  "THEY TRYIN TO TAKE ERR GUNS"

The mentally ill terrorists have the right to weapons too or something? I have also seen no proof that aforementioned slug is sentient.

The FBI did make the point that blocking sales to anyone in the watchlist might tip them off...

On the other hand, someone tipped off and scared of the FBI who might not end up arrested > 102 people shot by a psychopath who legally bought his weapons despite the fucking watchlist

Stupid nationalist fuck, there's voting for the Brexit thing and then there's being totally batshit nuts. He apparently donated a lot of money to a defunct Neo-Nazi group. Oy.