DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

i am the world's strongest man

i am now basically in the middle of four entirely separate health crises. There's my two uncles that are, frankly, not both going to make it through the year, there's my grandmother who's hitting the diapers period of alzheimers, and now one of my oldest and closest friends is going through some undiagnosed health issue that seems to be similar to a heart attack, and she's not getting time off work (she's living in Japan (i kind of hate Japan now)). All of this while I'm using a home gym to strengthen my legs and back, so I can stop being housebound. I'm on total auto-pilot because if I think about anything that's going on in any detail I'm gonna cave.

My situation is, quite, bluntly, jack shit compared to what other people on here are going through.  I can't get out of my own head and I'm losing hope that I ever will.  I'm just so tired of the way my brain is wired, making stupid decisions and hurting the people around me as a result.  I don't know if it's some form of autism or Asperger's, but it's frustrating to be on the inside while I make these decisions that I know are dumb.  I'm dealing with car payments again at a time when I need every bit of money I can get for my annual property tax.  Just stressed beyond belief all around...and on top of that, I feel like I'm on thin ice at my job.

To recap:

We bought the house around 5 years ago after looking for a year. Great neighborhood. Safe. Good schools. Etc. Far out, so I have a long commute but that's ok. It was made in the mid 80s. It passed inspection, was in pretty good condition by all accounts past the deck, which was way below code and falling apart and we knew that much. There were unforeseen issues though.

Major issue 1: Beautiful tree in front yard had been planted over the pipes leading to the street. Roots got into pipes and collapsed them. This within the first year of us having it. We had to remove the tree. Also, we had to remove and replace the polybutylene pipes heading to the street, completely redo our driveway, etc.

Major issue 2: The slope on the side of the house led to water coming in. This was an issue as it was a split level. We dug out and changed the slope, filled the hole, waterproofed, etc. then we had the basement carpet and woodwork redone. We dealt with it because that's what we do. The last seven or eight years have had accidents and hospital stays with new, unlikely, chronic conditions and apartment bedbugs and step-kid custody strains and childbirth and really just one mid-level crisis after another, a constant stream of this. It's the only life we know.

Throughout this, we've had minor issues with the house like some termite damage and a bathroom fan that kept breaking on us. The little things you expect with a house. The neighbors aren't quite as welcoming as we first though (it's a little bit stepford in bad ways). We've gained a lot of equity but prices have gone up in parallel around us. We don't have a ton of space here and would like to upsize, especially as time is very much fading when it comes to having another kid (which we are not 100% set on but we want to explore it at least; we'd need another bedroom for that and really can't refit the house due to its layout). It's been hard to prepare to sell and buy at the same time because we have the kid in pre-school and keep getting sick from those germs and I'm exhausted from the commute, etc. 

Now, though, Major issue 3: A couple of years ago, we had the A/C cleaned because the filter was getting wet from the leaking system and freezing. We just brought in someone last week because it happened again. This time they found leaks and missing freon. Filled, replaced, $$$. Also told us that the system was old and would need replacing eventually and that this would be an issue as the ducts aren't sized to match new systems. We'd have to basically tear apart the entire house if and when this was necessary. We could probably get a new system through some connections we have and the cost of that wouldn't kill us, but having to redo the ducts would devour any of the future plans we currently have (some of them with a door permanently closed). But at least we would have a few years to either sell or allocate the time and money to work it out.

Except for last night, it froze over again. We have the guy coming by to look at it shortly but he already gave us the "mechanics, not miracle workers" speech over the phone and used the word "deteriorating" quite a bit. 

If you're not a cat person or animal person, skip this as an old man being maudlin. However, if you, like me love our four-footed friends than please bear with me... My heart is fucking breaking right now, our oldest boy, Nikola (age 15) is dying and there's not fuck-all I can do about it. He's a big black cat with a tiny white bow-tie, at his biggest he was closing in on twenty-two lbs. We got him as a feral kitten 15 years ago and weren't sure it would work. He was so afraid of humans that he would hide under the cat bed and we needed to keep him in a cage. I spent hours lying next to the cage talking to him, finally getting him to take food from my hand and finally, (after almost a month) come out and have dinner with the other cats. The weird thing is that he is the most gentle cat I've ever seen... He's never caught a bird, mouse, lizard, etc. and as far as I know, other than squashing a spider, he's never harmed another creature. Our Alpha Cat, Nemo (who we've had two weeks longer, but we figure is a month younger than Nikola), has tried to start shit with him only once, Nikola just held him down with one back leg looking for all the world like Samoa Joe dealing with some 170 lb. indie upstart. Even with such a decisive advantage he didn't follow up, he just looked at Nemo as if to say "The fuck you think you're doing?" and rolled over letting him up.

He's always let Nemo be the #1 cat, but he's always been the one to check and see if anyone is still outside when it's time for light's out, and he's the one to wake us up if the food dish got emptied during the night or the litterbox needs immediate attention... Just the most wonderful cat that I've ever had. Three years ago we were told that he had a growth near his lungs that would constrict his breathing. They gave him three to six months. He beat those fucking odds by a longshot, but it's finally caught up with him. He didn't eat last night or today and he's a cat that loves his catfood. I've been lying down holding him since last night and he can barely move around. We have to wait for a check to clear today before we can take him to the vet and do what has to be done. I haven't cried like this since we lost little Fantom some years back. He managed to get up and go sit in the sun by the tree where we're going to bury him. I just wish he would pass here among his family, rather than go through the trauma of a trip into town. It's only ten minutes, but he hates being in the car. Anyway, if you have pets, give them a hug today. If you've thought about getting a cat, get a rescue cat, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2016 at 3:21 PM, Patrick B. said:

My situation is, quite, bluntly, jack shit compared to what other people on here are going through.  I can't get out of my own head and I'm losing hope that I ever will.  I'm just so tired of the way my brain is wired, making stupid decisions and hurting the people around me as a result.  I don't know if it's some form of autism or Asperger's, but it's frustrating to be on the inside while I make these decisions that I know are dumb.  I'm dealing with car payments again at a time when I need every bit of money I can get for my annual property tax.  Just stressed beyond belief all around...and on top of that, I feel like I'm on thin ice at my job.

Sounds like a type of anxiety disorder or something in that spectrum. Trust me, I've dealt with that.

OSJ,

Can totally relate to what you're going through. We had a similar situation with our older Shih Tzu a while back. She had been moving around fine for as long as we had her and then suddenly started slowing down. She was a bigger Shih Tzu. . .think on her last vet trip she weighed in at about 18 pounds or so. The vet had given us some pain medication for her and the occasional injection, and they seemed to work for a while, but then the injections got less and less effective and eventually didn't do anything at all..

Rather than let her suffer, we had to let her go, and it sucked. My wife and I were both a mess for a while afterwards. . .we don't have kids, so our dogs get a lot of attention from us. She was a little over 12 years old when we had her put down.

It sucks having to tell yourself that you're doing the right thing by your pet in that situation. . .even if you know you're doing the right thing, it still sucks something awful.

Hang in there, man.

• Like 2

Update: Couldn't get him in yesterday, so at least one more night with him sleeping in my arms. We have an appointment for him two hours from now. Nemo and Seven both know something's wrong, the other cats are probably too little to grasp what's going on.

My mother in law passed away this past Sunday after a long battle with stage 4 small cell cancer.  We're both pretty broken up - my wife and her were extremely close - but at least she's not in pain anymore and she's at peace.  That helps.  She was a wonderful woman and I'm glad I got to know her, if only for a short time.

I'm hitting the point where I'm starting to believe fully that people = shit, and there are few people that aren't terrible human beings all around.

And I'm driving myself crazy holding back on scorch earthing my Facebook at all the dumbass shitty human beings that just hit "repost" on things because they think it's cool and don't know a fucking thing about what they're reposting.

And I want to drive around and punch people reposting that fucking gorilla meme in the face, for being as shitty as the exact same thing they puff their chests out and claim to be "better" than.

Raziel403:

I'm not one to suggest strange behavior, excessive amounts of controlled substances or that sort of thing, but it's always worked really well for me.

I'm writing up a review on Friday, and need to double check something to make sure I'm remembering correctly. I pull up my website to double check and it's gone! I've had it for ten years, and the last payment was made at the beginning of May. Of course, it's a Holiday weekend, so the hosting office is closed until tomorrow. 

On 5/30/2016 at 0:45 PM, OSJ said:

Raziel403:

I'm not one to suggest strange behavior, excessive amounts of controlled substances or that sort of thing, but it's always worked really well for me.

Ripping off Hunter doesn't, obviously.

Scratch that. I just heard her calcium levels are extremely low and she can't move her hands much as a result of this. Fucking hell. She's half a country away and this sucks.