DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

I dont know if this is the right thread or anything for this. I don't usually venture outside the wrestling forums, save for the occasional music post.

Today is my 28th birthday, and I just thought I'd be doing so much more in life than pounding domestic lights and listening to early-2000s hardcore. All my friends are getting married. Even the one perpetually single guy in our kliq finally met an awful girl on Tinder. Everyone's buying houses, and I'm just barely making my rent month to month. I'm just in a rut. What do you guys do when you get bummed out?

I dont know if this is the right thread or anything for this. I don't usually venture outside the wrestling forums, save for the occasional music post.

Today is my 28th birthday, and I just thought I'd be doing so much more in life than pounding domestic lights and listening to early-2000s hardcore. All my friends are getting married. Even the one perpetually single guy in our kliq finally met an awful girl on Tinder. Everyone's buying houses, and I'm just barely making my rent month to month. I'm just in a rut. What do you guys do when you get bummed out?

What do you want to be doing? If you have a dream, pursue that motherfucker!! 

1. Make prank phone calls.

2. Troll the mouth-breathers on Sherdog.

3. Play pinball.

I am also a pinball guy to cure my blues. I'm a pinball guy all the time, but play obsessively when I am down.

Whenever I'm feeling a bit down I just make sure to surround myself with friends and family and just go have fun whether it's play video games, go to the movies, play basketball whatever.  If I do feel like being alone then I'll go for a workout, maybe go for a drive like Stallone and just zone out to the music.

I think the best way to get over shit is to try to better yourself whether it's a working out altering appearance/dieting thing like I did a few years back or education or just finding new hobbies.

if it's been an overly long/stressful day/week/month/etc, you can always find me playing Legend of Zelda. the original. i know that game forwards and backwards, so it is a tremendous relief on my mental faculties to just slay some octoroks and collect rupees. it still gives me a smile to beat some of the levels that were such a strain when i was younger.

moral of the story:

find something that gives you joy. i don't care if it's by yourself or with others. i don't care if it's loud or quiet. but do it, unashamedly, for as long as it takes until you feel happy.

i remind myself that I have three goals* and I'm achieving part of them every day

these happen to be particularly broad goals so it's easy to point to a thing and go "okay, not wasting time, right on"

if things are going really bad, I pour some johnny walker and watch seven samurai again

Some people just emerge at different times, dude. You've been amassing knowledge and experience unique to you that you couldn't have got any other way. That is not a thing to devalue and it is not a thing to discard cuz Others Got and You Don't. 

*make music, help people, move freely

if it's been an overly long/stressful day/week/month/etc, you can always find me playing Legend of Zelda. the original. i know that game forwards and backwards, so it is a tremendous relief on my mental faculties to just slay some octoroks and collect rupees. it still gives me a smile to beat some of the levels that were such a strain when i was younger.

moral of the story:

find something that gives you joy. i don't care if it's by yourself or with others. i don't care if it's loud or quiet. but do it, unashamedly, for as long as it takes until you feel happy.

Discovered Zelda Classic a while back...plays original Zelda on your computer and lets you create custom quests.  Also has a bunch of downloadable quests...some are better than others and you can use items from other Zelda installments.  Good times...I'd rather play Zelda or Tetris than some of the more modern games.

I was informed by my boss today that my position was likely going to be cut due to budget cutbacks. They said that they would "let me know at the end of next month."

I'm just thankful for another month's worth of paychecks. I'm already looking for new jobs.

Damn, that sucks.  Good luck, man. 

I love my parents.  But they feed into each other's worst qualities. Being in the same room as them is a chore.  I just know that if I'm of sound mind if/when that time comes, I'm going to put them in a nursing home and not look back. And I hate feeling like that.

I'm thankful for my sister in that she's the responsible and sensible one of the two of us.  I was crushed when my mom passed away and never would have been able to handle the formalities that followed.

I was informed by my boss today that my position was likely going to be cut due to budget cutbacks. They said that they would "let me know at the end of next month."

I'm just thankful for another month's worth of paychecks. I'm already looking for new jobs.

Damn, that sucks.  Good luck, man. 

Thanks man. Unemployment benefits should sustain me for a little while, provided my employer doesn't contest my eligibility. They raised some performance concerns that were previously unknown to me (and there's absolutely no written record of them addressing these concerns) so I'm preparing for a challenge. What sucks is that I was having a casual chat with a co-worker when my supervisor and her supervisor approached me and told me to meet them in our office library. I thought that that was totally unprofessional and embarrassing. I spent the rest of the day and all of this week actually just in total shock. I'm the most junior employee so it makes sense that I'm on the block but fuck. 

I wasn't totally happy with the job so it's not a total loss. It might be the kick in the ass that I need to get to doing something I actually enjoy. 

I ordered my wife a Christmas present that I was going to surprise her with. She tells me every year not to get her anything, but I get her things anyway because. . .well, why wouldn't I?

I ordered this gift the day after Thanksgiving. As we're overseas, the package started out with UPS and was then transferred to the USPS to be shipped to our APO box, so I couldn't request to have it sent "Priority" or anything.

It's been sitting in a postal facility in New Jersey since 30 November. After speaking with a USPS Customer Service person, it probably isn't getting here any time soon.

Yeah, first-world problem, I know. . .but it's still a fucking annoyance.

I ordered my wife a Christmas present that I was going to surprise her with. She tells me every year not to get her anything, but I get her things anyway because. . .well, why wouldn't I?

I ordered this gift the day after Thanksgiving. As we're overseas, the package started out with UPS and was then transferred to the USPS to be shipped to our APO box, so I couldn't request to have it sent "Priority" or anything.

It's been sitting in a postal facility in New Jersey since 30 November. After speaking with a USPS Customer Service person, it probably isn't getting here any time soon.

I called up the White Plains, NY post office today for just this reason! Well, I TRIED to call, as no one picked up after 20-30 rings, on two or three separate occasions. Saw a bunch of Google reviews saying this is pretty much the worst post office in America, and there's reason to believe packages "disappear" there intentionally. Mine's only been sitting for a week, though, and the general post office 800 number says they can technically hold it for eight days without actually doing anything. For some reason.

I called up the White Plains, NY post office today for just this reason! Well, I TRIED to call, as no one picked up after 20-30 rings, on two or three separate occasions. Saw a bunch of Google reviews saying this is pretty much the worst post office in America, and there's reason to believe packages "disappear" there intentionally. Mine's only been sitting for a week, though, and the general post office 800 number says they can technically hold it for eight days without actually doing anything. For some reason.

Mine's sitting at the one in Secaucus, New Jersey, according to the info I have. Apparently when it gets transferred from UPS to the USPS, it goes into their lowest priority category of package, which means it doesn't get loaded onto a plane or whatever until after all of the Express and Priority packages get on there. . .and if there's no room, there's no room. So, they (allegedly) know where it is, but it's going to be sitting there for a while with the Christmas shipping rush.

I've pretty much resigned myself to not getting it until after Christmas. It's still going to be a surprise to my wife, but it's not going to be a Christmas surprise like I wanted it to be. If it doesn't get here shortly after Christmas, I'll be filing a claim.

• Like 1

This morning, I probably had my most interesting dog walk session ever. I hope nothing ever comes close to it.

I came across a woman that had most likely been sexually assaulted. She was trying to run, but was wearing different shoes, one high-heeled boot and a running shoe. And she most certainly wasn't dressed for the weather. She was in tears, and going up to random houses pounding on the doors. When she asked me for help, I realized I'd left my phone at home. My attempts to flag down a motorist didn't  work, although I probably looked like a nut in the streets trying to wave down a car, complete with the 75 lb dog on a leash.

I was able to convince her to follow me home and wait on the porch while I fetched my phone and gated in the dog, and grabbed an extra coat so she could warm up. After calling 911 and having the police show up, I overheard that she didn't remember anything from about midnight onward, had no idea how long she'd been walking around, and could see that had vomited. There was no sign of alcohol on her breath or clothes. After giving all of my information to the police and my recount of the events, she went with the police to get home safely. 

I'm relieved she was going to make it home safely, but really don't want to think about what happened to get her in the state she was this morning.

I found out last night that my youngest sister and two nieces (whom I've never met) are living in a homeless shelter! I'm sorry if I sound cold, or un-brotherly, but as horrible as I feel for those two little girls. I don't have any sympathy at all for her. She's a ninth grade dropout, got knocked up at eighteen, got arrested two years ago with her boyfriend (now husband) for possession of heroin, and was living in a shithole in Rochester, NY. 

She makes all theses facebook posts about wanting to have a better life, but, she won't actually do anything. It's like she saw Aladdin too many times, and thinks that she's going to find the magic lamp and the Genie is going to grant her three wishes. She got a job offer starting at $11/hr and turned it down because she didn't like the hours and didn't want her kids hating her for not being around (instead of being happy to have food and clothes). Then she got an offer for a bunch of grants and financial aid to go to a vet tech school in Buffalo, and she turned that down because it was too far to drive.  She was all set to move out of the apt, but, then her new place fell through when they ran the background check and found the heroin arrest, and now she's kicked out of the one she was in because she didn't pay her rent, since she planned on moving out anyway.

This morning, I probably had my most interesting dog walk session ever. I hope nothing ever comes close to it.

I came across a woman that had most likely been sexually assaulted. She was trying to run, but was wearing different shoes, one high-heeled boot and a running shoe. And she most certainly wasn't dressed for the weather. She was in tears, and going up to random houses pounding on the doors. When she asked me for help, I realized I'd left my phone at home. My attempts to flag down a motorist didn't  work, although I probably looked like a nut in the streets trying to wave down a car, complete with the 75 lb dog on a leash.

I was able to convince her to follow me home and wait on the porch while I fetched my phone and gated in the dog, and grabbed an extra coat so she could warm up. After calling 911 and having the police show up, I overheard that she didn't remember anything from about midnight onward, had no idea how long she'd been walking around, and could see that had vomited. There was no sign of alcohol on her breath or clothes. After giving all of my information to the police and my recount of the events, she went with the police to get home safely. 

I'm relieved she was going to make it home safely, but really don't want to think about what happened to get her in the state she was this morning.

Good on you for actually helping the poor lady out. Too many people would have just brushed her off or assumed her to be a crazy person. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's a midwestern thing, but I would generally try my best to help someone in most situations like that. And, that's sad about your nieces, Mike, your sister may be screwed up, but it's far worse for the kids. In a situation like that you hope she figures out something to make her life work instead of making excuses or blaming other things, but it often just doesn't happen. I wouldn't give up on her as a family member, but I'm not her brother, so I have no clue how messed up everything is, but hopefully they can find some kind of help from this point forward for the kid's sake at least.

A sad state some folks end up in when they have every chance to at least attempt to get out of a bad life situation while so many others are pretty much fucked by society or the laws of reality from birth all over the place regardless of what they do.

Had a really good weekend with guest sets at two different area comedy clubs...so of course I get a check-engine light on the way home this evening.  Car just lost a ton of power right there.  Luckily I was almost home so the car limped the rest of the way, but I still have work tomorrow morning.