DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Super Moon at a bar, you say? This should be fun.

NOT.

Although I did make a little skater dude's voice crack like a prepubescent brat's when I grabbed him by his backpack and threw him face-first into the door, causing him to fall off the skateboard I'd already warned him twice not to fucking ride inside the bar.

SERIOUSLY: who rides a skateboard inside a bar and thinks there won't be repercussions?  I'd do the same to Tony F'N Hawk.

• Like 1

My wife felt the bitter feeling for embarassment, for her debit card getting declined at Walmart, for a $20 purchase. She comes home, ready to scream at me, because I handle the finances. And I show our account has more than enough. So, it's off to the bank tomorrow, to find out WTF is wrong with her card.

Could be one of those deals where some unscrupulous person is using a spoofed version of your card and the bank has shut it down due to unusual purchases.

No, nothing that interesting. The bank just decided to shut off her debit card a month after issuing it to her. She'd gotten a new debit card a couple of months ago, but it had her maiden name on it. So, she went to the bank, and they gave her a new one with her married name. The first was one supposed to take precedence or something, because after X amount of days (which was Friday) they automatically shut the card off. So, now she gets to wait for *another* new card, that hopefully has the right name on it.

Brother, I had to to work a full third shift, leave work, and go to the courthouse. So I could sit thelre all day, while they managed to select four jurors, and tell us to come back tomorrow morning. I'd have been more pissed, if I wasn't so exhausted.

Big ups to Verizon for ruining my life today!

My wife and I closed on our new house last week. We made the official move on Sunday and have like 80% of our stuff in the new place. However, there was still a bunch of stuff left at the old place we were too wiped out to grab over the weekend. We really wanted to get started on this right away.

I work from home a lot and need Internet access. I scheduled my date and time for FIOS installation weeks ago for today between 8 - 11 A.M.

It's about 10 and my wife wanted to call to see when we could expect someone. She was transferred a bunch of times before, during her fifth transfer, was disconnected. This lasted roughly 45 minutes. She figured out how to work live chat on her phone and got someone to come from the 12 - 1 window.

The Verizon dude came... at 1, as to be expected. He then told us it would be a few hours before he'd finish, and at least one of us had to stay in the house for this. We also have a dog who we have to keep an eye on when strangers come in and out of the house, ESPECIALLY since this is literally the first day in our new place and she's understandably a bit jittery. So we really can't leave and/or do too much at our old place.

The guy finally finished about three hours later. I asked him on the way out if he could set up our network and password, since I'm comically inept at figuring that stuff out (and my wife is even worse). The rep said he couldn't because "they" told him so. I told him that when FIOS was installed at our old house six months ago, they did so no problem. "Oh, huh. Where was the old place?" I told him it was exactly three blocks away. "Oh. How about that?"

We then got most of our stuff out of the old house. However, a downpour started so now I have to unload my car tomorrow morning.

I eventually got Verizon live chat on the phone to help me set up the network stuff. The first person was helpful but then we got disconnected. My personal and my wife's laptops were set-up great. My work computer -- the most important of the trio -- wasn't. So I had to get ANOTHER live rep to help me with that.

All told, Verizon ate up about seven hours of my life today. And because of that delay, we're pretty far behind where we want to be in terms of getting stuff in the house, unloaded, unpacked, etc.

What's scary -- we went with Verizon because we already went through the Comcast experience.

Every large telecom is shitty. Most of the smaller ones are shitty. I prefer to spend a bit more money not bundling everything together (at present, my phone is AT&T, my internet is Comcast, my TV is Dish) so I can at any given point tell one to go fuck itself.

I did the FIOS thing one time before, both TV and internet- I ended up cancelling them because their customer service was so bad.  I called once to order an event on PPV and had such difficulty I switched over to cancellations and they ended up telling me if I didn't cancel they'd give me some monthly credits and my bill would lower about $30/month so I said yeah.  Fast forward a year later I decide to actually cancel it and they told me I'd have to pay a penalty to which I replied that no I didn't because I wasn't in a contract.  They told me that when they originally altered my bill when I tried to cancel that time that I extended my contract with them which was never brought up on the phone.  They then told me they sent me emails about my new contract to which I replied with the fact that I had never set up the verizon email address and they were able to verify the emails were never read.  They were terrible.  Probably my favorite product as far as TV and internet but not worth the customer service hassle.  Whenever you call you can be prepared for extremely long waits followed by being disconnected and having to call again. 

But now that I live in a more rural area all I can get is 3.0Mb/s DSL internet so I'd probably be happy to switch back to the shitty customer service. 

I know a lot of people have issues with Comcast, but I sailed through my setup at the new apartment with them in March. Maybe a lot of that had to do with the fact that our complex has a designated agent that takes care of everything, but even the techs were great - the one guy called me and asked if we minded if he got there EARLY. Three and a half months in, and we're doing great...for now.

Quality of techs is totally local and not a service area wide thing.  My local Verizon techs are bleh, but I'm a network tech, so I do everything myself.  I don't have issues with Customer Service people because I basically know more than them and call them out on it, and they resolve my stuff quickly (because I also know major metro area district managers so I can name drop).  But, my area has total shit DirecTV techs because they're subcontracted.  My old area Cablevision techs were total shit, but the techs out where I work are top notch, so its all on the area.

Verizon's FiOS products quality of service (the service, not the people) are lightyears ahead of Comcast/TWC/Cablevision though, so I'd recommend sticking with them, even if their customer service is lacking.

We got hooked up with Comcast's new X-1 tech. There are still some bugs getting worked out with it, but there are a lot of little tweaks that make it light years better than that old blue and yellow interface that was shoved down our throats for the last decade. Also, their TV anywhere service is much better than I would have ever imagined.

One of my dogs went to sleep today. She was the first dog I had adopted from the local animal shelter. I told the person there I wanted to adopt the dog who had suffered most and had seen least love in their life. Everyone loves puppies, but adult or abused dogs tend to get ignored by would-be dog owners. The person didn't even have to think about what dog fit the bill, which was just all the more depressing. He told me her life story and it was heartbreaking. All the abuse and neglect and pain it had endured, and then it had stayed at the shelter for three years because nobody wanted her. She was missing patches of fur and had ugly scars all over her face. For me, it was love at first sight. She was very shy at first but slowly she came around and she was a wonderful, loving, warm sweetheart. I've had the pleasure of taking care of her for four years and she's been a beacon of light for me as well. And now she's asleep. And it's killing me.

• Like 2

One of my dogs went to sleep today. She was the first dog I had adopted from the local animal shelter. I told the person there I wanted to adopt the dog who had suffered most and had seen least love in their life. Everyone loves puppies, but adult or abused dogs tend to get ignored by would-be dog owners. The person didn't even have to think about what dog fit the bill, which was just all the more depressing. He told me her life story and it was heartbreaking. All the abuse and neglect and pain it had endured, and then it had stayed at the shelter for three years because nobody wanted her. She was missing patches of fur and had ugly scars all over her face. For me, it was love at first sight. She was very shy at first but slowly she came around and she was a wonderful, loving, warm sweetheart. I've had the pleasure of taking care of her for four years and she's been a beacon of light for me as well. And now she's asleep. And it's killing me.

That's awful! But you did what I consider the best possible thing a human can do on this planet -- and that's help an animal have a good life. All dog's go to heaven.

As awful as my Verizon experience was, this happened to me with Comcast a few years ago.

My wife and I moved from one apartment to a new one and had to do the whole transfer thing.

The new apartment had to have been wired for cable TV and a new router or whatever. First, I had to take an entire day off of work for this nonsense, since they gave us an 8 hour window. They finally called at like 1 p.m. to say they were coming. The guy who was the tech then called about three more times because he was lost and couldn't find my apartment. Sigh.

I was doing some school work in the bedroom and went outside. The cable guy was no longer in our living room. Instead, he had just shut my fridge door and had opened a can of Coke. "Oh, is it cool if I have one?"  He then had to go into the basement to do some drilling. I went down an hour or so later and he was taking a nap.

About one month after the new installation, our Internet service stopped working. Of course, this was solely because the accounts changed addresses and they couldn't figure that out. I was then placed into a call center and had to deal with that stuff. The script that was read to me said that "My system was caught due to system upgrades giving me enhanced services." I inquired what this entailed and, of course, no details were provided. I was on the phone with this person for three hours. I am not kidding. The extent of her help consisted of "Try resetting your modem" and "Try resetting your computer."

Finally I told her to cancel our Internet and I'd find someone else.

Lastly, our On Demand froze the entire cable during the middle of an episode of Season 4 of The Wire. I unplugged the box and all of that and the same image was stuck on the screen. Completely frozen. I had to burn a sick day for this. Finally, they came and the problem happened again no less than one hour after the tech left. I was then on another 3-hour or so phone call that ended with me wishing a horrible, visible skin rash to the wife of the CEO.

So, somehow, Verizon was better than Comcast.

We had Direct TV at our old house. The service was fine. They screwed up the initial installation but fixed it the next day without any problems whatsoever. The only time we lost service was if there was a really crazy storm.

But we cancelled it because we watch all of our stuff online now. I essentially was paying $90 per month or so to have Storage Wars on in the background.

Not having TV has been pretty wonderful. We still watch anything we want in terms of sports/movies/etc. I also read a lot more, too.

All win-wins.

When we moved into our current place three years ago, I'd arranged to have our Verizon DSL and landline services transferred here.  They said it would take a few days, fine.  A few days turned into a week.  I called to see what was going on with our Internet, they said they only switched the phone, the Internet was still at our old place, and that it would take another week and a fee to switch Internet.  I got mad and threatened to cancel our service.

No "please don't leave us" offers or apologies, they just said "ok" and we walked through the process of cancelling, after which I said I'd never give Verizon a dime again.

Cue a bill for $60 for some dumb bullshit.

Since then, I'm pretty much locked into Comcast for life or whenever Google brings their fiber Internet to Philly.  Verizon can go fuck themselves.

I have never had a problem with Comcast (or Centurylink) internet service in all the various times I've been a subscriber.  TV service has been hit and miss.  My fun story, however, DOES involve Centurylink.

So I'm working from home one day because I had a landscaping crew coming out to prune my arbor vitae privacy shrubs.  I decide to take a break and I get up and look out the window as the crew is working and just happen to catch one of the guys CUTTING RIGHT THROUGH THE LINE THAT GOES FROM THE POWER POLE TO MY HOUSE.  Fortunately for the worker dude it was NOT a power line but was, rather, my phone line.  Only I didn't catch that immediately.  I went back to my computer, tried hitting a web site and...nothing (DSL internet).  A little more playing, nothing.  I connect the dots and realize the guy cut the cable.  By this point, probably 10-15 minutes have passed.  And still the guy hasn't come inside to talk to me.  I go outside and they look at me like they have no idea why I'm out there.  I look at the one guy and say "HEY, you just cut my phone line and internet!"  And he gives me a look that pretty clearly indicates he was hoping he would not get caught.  I yelled at the guy a bit - mainly for not immediately coming in and saying something and also how he was making me unable to work - and then I go back inside.  Called up Centurylink and they were out like an hour later fixing the problem.

My folks had to put down Sarge the German Shepherd on friday. He was my fur bro of 11 yrs. I got to rub his belly and lay with him thursday. Its hard watching my dad, who never once cried for a human dying, go through losing his best buddy. 

• Like 1

So today I decided I was going to be positive. To be fair a lot of good did happen, I have managed to find some good friends in my adult life. 

Was hoping to meet Mick Foley in Huntsville tonight. I scrambled last minute to get the money together and a ride. I get the money and take a nap since I had not slept all night or day. My ride never shows, no phone call or anything. Which is annoying but not a huge deal. Hopefully I will get another chance. 

I get some dinner for my niece and sister and decide I'll just relax. That did not last long and the world decided to start picking at me and I remembered why I'm a negative piece of shit all the time. Basically I'm Ned Flanders after the hurricane. 

Ok, so I came down with a BRUTAL viral head/chest thing. Wasted money on the visit to the doc, soldiered through it blah blah blah. Well, I'm almost completely back to normal however...

...SONUVBITCH!

My left ear is completely plugged and will not pop. It's been like this for a week. No pain, just barely hearing through the thing. I've tried decongestants, I've tried the "pinch your nose a blow" thing, hot showers, nasal spray...NADA.

This is legitimately one of the most frustrating things ever. Considering I'm a musician and a radio/audio guy, having one ear at 25% in a headphone/stereo environment sucks the donkey, or, for our Spanish speaking friends, "el burro."

I know that shit all too well. Head used to get stuffed up like that every few years and then once it was like that for both ears for well over a month. Now, every time I get a cold my Eustachian tubes(ear drainage things) get plugged up and I just have to suffer through it. I'm not sure there's much you can do but wait for it to go away and take OTC stuff and hope it helps. Hopefully it's not something more annoying.

My condolences on your loss, Roman. My wife and I put one of our shih-tzus down about six weeks ago. You know you're doing the right thing, but that certainly doesn't make it suck any less.

Condolences to you as well, just drew. (I didn't see your post until after I replied to Roman's. . .it was on the next page of the thread.)

Roman and Just Drew: You have my condolences. It's never easy having to let go, we lost Fantom several months ago and I still tear up whenever someone mentions him. It was really hard, but I figured that the best way to memorialize him was to rescue another cat from the shelter, so we got Twister, as most of the superstitious idiots down here think that black cats are bad luck and no one wants to adopt a year-old cat (they only want kittens).

Turns out they had guessed his age wrong, probably closer to six months than a year. Of course, when the neighbors cat had kittens, we adopted the two black ones so that Twister would have someone close to his age to play with (worked out very nicely, Jackpot, Seven and Twister are inseparable, and the older cats don't have to put up with the little guys bothering them. Brought the total up to eight cats, but what the hell... We can't save 'em all, but at least we can take care of these guys (and gals) 5 and 3, respectively... Ages range from 16 down to five months, with a gap of five years between Sumuru (turned six in May)and Twister (figured April 1st was close enough to use for his first birthday).