DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

Is DA2 going to be necessary story-wise for this game? I am picking back up (and restarting) DA: Origins, but I know the views on DA2 are not positive.

Inquisition builds more off of DA2 and the books Asunder & The Masked Empire than it does Origins. Still you should be able to go in and play w/o playing or reading any of it. Its just usually a bit more rewarding.

Apparently knowing the lore is really really helpful. Well more that you get more out of the story not that you can't jump right in

Kotaku put together a guide to help folks new to the story

This. Good call here.

I've decided I'm getting DA:I on release day, partially due to lack of other things to do. From what I hear of multiplayer, it's not worth doing without a full team, all with headsets and strategizing.

Gotta be honest, I'm really hoping for a cameo from The Hero of Fereldan at some point in this game. I have no clue how they'd do it, but I'm hoping.

Apparently knowing the lore is really really helpful. Well more that you get more out of the story not that you can't jump right in

Kotaku put together a guide to help folks new to the story

This. Good call here.

I've decided I'm getting DA:I on release day, partially due to lack of other things to do. From what I hear of multiplayer, it's not worth doing without a full team, all with headsets and strategizing.

Gotta be honest, I'm really hoping for a cameo from The Hero of Fereldan at some point in this game. I have no clue how they'd do it, but I'm hoping.

Its been said that the Warden won't be featured in the game though looking at various info and images there does seem to be at least one mission about the character even if the make no appearance.

I am playing through DA2 before I start this one and holy shit is this game bad.

It says something about the strength of the lore and story telling that I keep running through this thing.

Any thoughts on how PS3 and PS4 gameplay compare? Should I just hold off until I have a PS4?

So, I'm not sure if this would qualify as a spoiler note, but I just had a thought

Leliana, it appears, is part of your team no matter what in this game... But what if you kill her off in DA:O in the hunt for the Sacred Ashes?

Still there.

There are other horrible things you can make happen to her depending on you choices within DAI.

Okay, I'm really trying not find spoilers, but I did see a video of the home base in the game and the customization options and crafting and upgrading and oh god I'm entering flashbacks to Skyrim when I spent hours finding the resources to make 3 perfect homesteads. I'm going to have way way way too much fun doing absolutely nothing constructive in this game.

• Like 1

Just spent about half an hour dorking around with the Keep on the Origin site. Just randomly changing stuff here and there. . .don't know if it makes a damn bit of sense, but it should be interesting.

I got about halfway through the first game before my XBox 360 gave me the RRoD. . .never replaced it and never bothered picking it up for PS3. But Inquisition looks pretty awesome, and I'm damn sure not going to question BioWare at this point.

So yeah, I'll probably get this in the next day or two.

• Like 1

Welp. Figured I'd have this last little note before I go into insanity over the next couple days, I figured I'd post my planned first world state and how I plan to play my first play through.

Dragon Age 1:

Played as female city elf

Romanced Leliana

Saved the Circle

Peaceful solution to the Werewolf/Dalish problem

Everything went perfect in Redcliff

Bhelen is King, and Branka is dead.

Morrigan baby solution

Loghain killed, though part of me wants to rework that. I actually understand what Loghain was trying to do, he just didn't have the right perspective.

Dragon Age 2

Fem Rogue Hawke, so Carvers dead

Romanced Merrill, and the Eluvian is still together

Only squad mate who isn't alive is Anders, cause fuck him

Arishock killed

Sided with Mages

Dragon Age Inquisition plans

Will be playing as an Elf as Ive said, but my stance on what direction I'm going in terms of play style is more up in the air. I'm open to Mage or Rogue, though Archery is now an option to me. Elf is set though: The idea of being a racist against humans Dalish Elf being the leader of the inquisition is just simply too delicious not to take.

I think the biggest thing that has me super excitied about this game is that it seems to be the only big game on the calender that the developer was confident enough to submit for review in advance of the release.  When the entire industry seems to be delaying reviews on games that aren't 100% ready for launch, they allowed their game to be reviewed in advance and I'm pumped for it. I think I've liked every Bioware game I've ever played, Dragon Age 2 was a low point, but I still liked all the character stuff.  The only thing that is going to stop me from dedicating my entire day to this is that I have to go to court tomorrow about a car accident I was in a couple months back. (Side note:  Who knew a court case was required for a citation of following too close? I was so hoping she would just plead no contest and I could move on with my life.  Don't they know that I have a videogame to play?)

• Like 1

What makes it more amazing is the game wasn't (isn't) 100% at least on PS4 that they promise they'll have a day one patch for but still, when you have 3-4 big games coming out on the same day and you're out there with your mostly complete game...kudos to BioWare

Okay, I did the VPN thing so I could play it at 10am.  Pretty fuckin' good. 

Tactical view seems somewhat limited.  You can't just pan the camera around with the mouse like I'd really want.  Positioning doesn't seem intuitive.  You can't just click a dude and click where you want 'em to be.  You use the keyboard to move a circle to the spot.  I keep hitting space bar when paused and then it queues a jump.  I just need to acclimate to how it operates.  Ranged people have stayed put and not rushed towards the monsters like idiots.  I really can't wait to use the landscape more and be a real asshole.  I wish I could zoom out further sometimes.

Remember how in Origins you could hit tab and it would highlight monsters and shit you could interact with?  Now you hit V and a Witcher 2 stink sphere emanates from your character. You'll be hitting V a lot.  Auto-search mod is on my agenda.  I don't like how finicky it is to get your character to pick up loot.  You don't just right-click and they walk over.  You gotta position them real close and then finagle the icon to appear.  Probably not as bad as I'm making it sound.

Default AI for party members isn't completely inept.  I haven't had fuckers just stand around not doing anything useful.  Rogues can enter stealth inside combat with no penalties seemingly.  Sometimes it can be unclear if you're actually flanking.  I like how melee abilities aren't blown if you whiff on the bad guy.  They only go into cooldown if you make contact (hit or miss).

I beat the tutorial and had to stop.

Everybody's hair looks like Roy Orbison melted LP.   Oddly shiny.

Probably try using my controller later.

• Like 1