DVDVR Message Board
J.H.

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

On 2/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, J.H. said:

Have you tried Golden Kamuy?
Its a really good period piece set after Sinio-Russo war about a search lost Aiunu gold that somehow still ropes in elements of the Shinsengumi into the story

James

I wasn't into it at first, but I really got into it after I started diving into the second season and started watching the rest.

It's a really weird show. Like the way it mixes slapstick humor shouldn't work, but it does. Like one moment, they could do a scene that's complete and total goofy slapstick, and in the next people are getting shot and their heads blown off. And then in another season they are providing a nice education on Ainu culture and cuisine. Like the Ainu stuff is almost like they are pausing stories to provide educational lessons like that are government mandated...and yet those work for me too. The show had me wanting to try chitatap. 

Here's an example of the show. One of the major antagonists, Tsurumi, is visiting one of his underlings, Nikaidou while he's recovering from getting his freaking foot blown off. Dude's already had his ear cut off and his brother brutally killed by the main protagonist, and he's trying to get a morphine fix. Then Tsurumi comes in and basically treats him like a dog...and yet it's scripted as this goofy, light comedic moment. And it's hilarious. 

I kind of feel like this humor and presentation could work only in Japanese anime and not in Western cinema. 

• Like 1

This is straight-up my favorite anime OP right now, dat song is bitchin...

(The first episode of the season is lit too; really shows how awesome the MC is despite being the weakest.)

• Like 1

Went to see Gundam NT atthe cinema tonight and it was really good. Probably the best Gundam movier since Char's Counterattack

Wraps up the Unicorn saga pretty nicely

James

• Like 1