DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Man, sort of jealous of Rising of the Shield Hero. Finally gets an anime, and it looks like it's got some nice animation and 2 cours. 

Goblin Slayer was good and they didn't over-extend the story with only 12 episodes, but I wish it got some of the extra bells and whistles of Shield Hero. 

Finished SSSS.Gridman.  We all really enjoyed it, but I think we all wanted more of everything. Probably not 12 more episodes more, but maybe wish they'd hit different beats throughout to give the characters more to do. Shinjo Akane is a fun villain. The ending wasn't really a surprise, as they pretty much set you up for it very early on, and with only 12 eps there probably wasn't enough time or reason to give us something more complicated.  

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA may be my favorite of the more current batch. I was disappointed that they settled into the regular pop idol act after a few episodes, but it's still a funny show. I just watched Episodes 7 and 8 yesterday and they're two of the best. 7 in particular was  a great story that had a good amount of heart in it.

HINOMARU SUMO

Me and the kids still dig this mostly for the story. I don't know if I just didn't noticed it before but the animation seemed to take a nose dive after the last time I wrote about it here. There was one episode during the big tournament where the cutting of corners was super apparent. Long stretches of cameras panning over still frames that either featured inner monologue or actual spoken dialogue. One poorly animated quick sequence of people cheering was reused within the same episode. But my and my kids really enjoy the story, and like that the hero isn't overpowered and actually gets beat.

We're still watching Golbin Slayer. It's still okay. I'm watching it in Dub, because we have Funimation and I don't think I like the voice for Goblin Slayer. I might check it out in Japanese and see if I like it better. I liked the episode where they fought the Ogre and used the scroll. That inspired me for the D&D games I'm running. I dig the world, and the premise of it, I don't really like any of the characters so far.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is still dope though. We're 10 episodes in, and I'm on board with everything.  

I might go back to Tokyo Ghoul. The third series wasn't going the way I'd hoped. Anyone watch it? Is it good? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I might go back to Tokyo Ghoul. The third series wasn't going the way I'd hoped. Anyone watch it? Is it good? 

I've heard it was terribly rushed. I only watched the first episode, bu tit definitely felt like quite a few steps were skipped and that is coming from someone who hasn't read the manga/light novel.

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

IMHO, Hinomaru Sumo really picks up once they get to the tournament and actual sumo matches. 

It did. I think part of that is because the show effectively set up the characters and the stakes with the episode before hand. I'm totally into these guys. They've got defined personalities and needs. It's not just "Be the best" - it's more specific than that.  They also used those episodes to set up how big a threat future opponents will be. I'm fucking STOKED for some fights later. 

Once it got to the tournament I was all in. I think that's why I was disappointed with some of the animation, because my body was READY for some epic shit. 

And that tournament delivered on the drama. I loved all the matches. We got excited for the winners and felt bad for the losers. Characters actually progressed in ability or learned lessons. It was fucking great. I certainly recommend it to anyone . The character design and animation sometimes pull me out, but the story is totally worth it. 

• Like 1

Sweet Jumpin' Catfish! I loved that first episode of The Rising of The Shield Hero!

Such fun! I like that Naofumi has gone to paranoia by the end of the first episode and has taken the "Fuck it! If they think I'm a scumbag then I''ll lean into that to get ahead!" appraoch

James

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, jaedmc said:

We're still watching Golbin Slayer. It's still okay. I'm watching it in Dub, because we have Funimation and I don't think I like the voice for Goblin Slayer. I might check it out in Japanese and see if I like it better. I liked the episode where they fought the Ogre and used the scroll. That inspired me for the D&D games I'm running. I dig the world, and the premise of it, I don't really like any of the characters so far.

Goblin Slayer really lives and dies with the MC. And the inspired way he handles things almost like the author had to deal with some brutal arse DMs.

I highly recommend checking out Maoyuu Maou Yuusha if you want D&D inspiration. It's so incredibly meta in a good way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, J.H. said:

Sweet Jumpin' Catfish! I loved that first episode of The Rising of The Shield Hero!

Such fun! I like that Naofumi has gone to paranoia by the end of the first episode and has taken the "Fuck it! If they think I'm a scumbag then I''ll lean into that to get ahead!" appraoch

I'm very hesitant to get into the anime since I read the majority of the manga. Like I hope they solve much of the problems of the manga somehow (i.e. MC edgelord in the house and criminally incompetent 'antagonists').

If you want to see a main character edgelord, wait until they release Arifureta later this year. I think that will probably be spring season. Except there, imagine what would happen if a chuunibyou geek got betrayed and became an edgelord. 

Anyone watched new Baki the Grappler yet on Netflix? Like is it worth checking out the whole thing? It definitely looks like it has some over-the-top old fashioned anime blood and goore.

• Like 1

So I was already psyched for the new City Hunter movie "Shinjuku Private Eyes" but now I'm spazzing out because the new trailer revealed that Tsukasa Hojo''s 2nd most popular franchise are returning in this movie. That's right I'm talking Cat's Eye!

James

• Like 1

Ok the new Baki the Grappler series was kind of insane. Though admittedly, I can kind of see the appeal for fans. It's like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone and JCVD fans. That said, the story was sort of disjointed and all over the place at times.

The fights go on these weird, bizarre tangents. Like a Vince Russo match on steroids. The fight will basically take a left turn and get to a "how did we get to this point" type of moment. Now, there could be some sort of genre-subversion or borderline self-parody at work. Not all too familiar with Baki before this series other than briefly checking out an OVA once back in the day. I mean in Bobobo that stuff works because it's a comedy series and they do a good job of riffing on how utterly absurd battle and shonen type stories can get. 

Not sure if I will continue watching the second half. Just so much weirdness, even for an anime series. 

Saw the dub for Broly in theaters tonight. I loved it. Animation was amazing. I loved how when they powered up, the animation was really emphasizing just how powerful the powerup is. Kinda get spoiled for obvious reason in the regular series but the way they did it in the movie just works well. 

Can't wait for it to come out on BluRay

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Saw the dub for Broly in theaters tonight. I loved it. Animation was amazing. I loved how when they powered up, the animation was really emphasizing just how powerful the powerup is. Kinda get spoiled for obvious reason in the regular series but the way they did it in the movie just works well. 

Can't wait for it to come out on BluRay

How about at one point:

Their fight basically shatters reality and Gogeta is like "What the hell just happened?"

I like that Broly's presence in this film sort of shatters all previous logic and knowledge about power levels and power-ups. I imagine Broly's base power-level is comparable or perhaps even stronger than say a base Gohan Super Saiyan because of where Broly grew up and was forced to train. That's my theory anyway. 

I never looked it like that, I just thought your spoiler was that intense the animation called for it. I like your theory better. 

His power level at base level I have to imagine, and i would've liked to have to have seen that tested,  but I think the lack of the other supporting characters helped the story move along better.

• Like 1

I saw it last night, luckily I knew to go an hour early and got tickets for me and my nephews. I saw half of Bumble Bee when I went into the theater. Which was sadly empty as it was really good.

Broly ended up being sold out, The start of the movie got applause and there was cheering at various points. 

The movie was amazing and really fleshed out the series mythos. Paragus ended up being a great character. Expanding on what what was done in the 93 movie. Broly was changed greatly from 93, but I think it is for the better. Even though I like Broly 93. 

The collateral damage was Bardock. The movie made the 91 special non canon. But that is less important to me now.

We got a reminder that Frieza is evil. During the tourney he was working with the U6 team and was more a dick than anything. 

The animation is the best I have ever seen in Dragon Ball. Only thing close are Dead Zone and World's Strongest. 

It was great. 

• Like 1

In case y'all didn't know the Beta for Jump Force is available for download on the PS4. So if you ever wanted to team-up Seiyaa & Ryo Saeba and have them smack Goku and Vegeta around thne this game is for you!

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of having a hard time getting into Stardust Crusaders the way I did the first two Jojo generations, so I've been looking for a new morning bus anime.  I thought Food Wars sounded good, but between the foodgasms and the fact that it leaves me outrageously hungry I'll have to keep looking.

Have you tried Golden Kamuy?
Its a really good period piece set after Sinio-Russo war about a search lost Aiunu gold that somehow still ropes in elements of the Shinsengumi into the story

James

• Like 1

I just ordered the Harlock SSX box set in the current Right Stuf sale (my first purchase from them in probably a decade).  I had no idea just how much cool old stuff (and recent and recent-ish stuff that Crunchyroll or Amazon licensed for streaming but had no initial physical-media licensor) Discotek had, but I could easily have spent $300 on it if I weren't careful. (just doing the Kimagure Orange Road pre-order and all the Lupin stuff would've gotten me there)