DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

As a Chinese American, I refuse to watch it because I don't feel any kind of sympathy towards what happened to the Japanese during WW2.

I am not going to defend the Imperial Japanese Army. But I don't think the citizens were responsible. I can feel sympathy for the people who were hurt/killed because of what their government caused. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2018 at 6:36 PM, TheVileOne said:

There's literally an isekai where some teen gets reincarnated as a hot spring in a fantasy world. If you think isekai never gets weird or bizarre enough. That's how deep and weird this genre goes. 

We've come a long way from light novels about child soldiers having fun high school high jinx and harem rom coms. 

I'm reading that isekai... past the blatant fan service, it's not the worst (better than the cellphone isekai). Yeah, it at least has a unique approach to the genre.

One that I'm really looking forward to at least a manga of is... Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Victator said:

I am not going to defend the Imperial Japanese Army. But I don't think the citizens were responsible. I can feel sympathy for the people who were hurt/killed because of what their government caused. 

Yeah, didn't the US conventional bombs kill more people and did more damage than the nukes?

The retaliatory bombing of Germany also was devastating. Really shows just how resilient the Germans were (recovering from two incredibly devastating WW).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turk128 said:

I'm reading that isekai... past the blatant fan service, it's not the worst (better than the cellphone isekai). Yeah, it at least has a unique approach to the genre.

One that I'm really looking forward to at least a manga of is... Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power

I really wonder how these authors come up with these concepts. I mean being transported into a game world as an OP avatar for your favorite game. That I can sort of get. Or being reborn as some dude with cheat powers or what have you. They are amusing power fantasies or wish fulfillment trips.

But some author's like, "I want my protagonist to be reborn as a hot spring who will get the pleasure of bathing powerful young fantasy maiden characters." It sounds like something you would have to think of while extremely high. And an editor actually said, "Yeah. We'll publish that." I mean right on I guess. Isekai is popular right now so maybe the weirder you can take the concept the better.

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I really wonder how these authors come up with these concepts. 

Isekai is popular right now so maybe the weirder you can take the concept the better.

I think the genre is so loose and not really defined that practically anything gets approved. And it's popular enough that a lot does. Heck, it's so popular that they banned isekai from some of their contests!

I'm really surprised the genre hasn't picked up in popularity here, like it's even more open than the Superhero genre and at the same time has an easy story hook.

Other interesting isekais: becoming an awesome administrating monarch in a fantasy world, reborn as the villainess in a romantic fantasy (sucks that this one updates so slow), book lover born into a world where books are scarce

EDIT: A really good isekai is: I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World. It's an isekai but the way they approach it is more time travel, as in if you can bring modern technology/products to medieval times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dogwelder said:

As a Chinese American, I refuse to watch it because I don't feel any kind of sympathy towards what happened to the Japanese during WW2.

I respect your right to feel that way and I certainly understand the wellspring where your lack of sympathy comes from.

2 hours ago, turk128 said:

Yeah, didn't the US conventional bombs kill more people and did more damage than the nukes?

The retaliatory bombing of Germany also was devastating. Really shows just how resilient the Germans were (recovering from two incredibly devastating WW).

Truman felt the atomic bomb saved more lives on both sides than doing a ground invasion. I read that when they were still planning a ground invasion, they printed so many purple hearts that the government had them in supply til the early 2000s. 

Sorry for going off topic. 

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not an isekai, but I'm also hoping Dr. Stone will be getting an anime soon.

Dude, that would be so good. I think Boichi likes working on Dr Stone the most out of all his work, it has everything he loves to draw.

I would LOVE to see an adapt of Origin, too. It can easily be the Guyver of this age.

• Like 1

Why Goblin Slayer will be the perfect anime for fans of DOOM. The audio and voice-over almost sync together way too well.

Also proof that the original author and light novel artist are also big fans of DOOM and likely well aware of comparisons made by the fandom:

The girl depicted in the image is the Female Hero who has a side story that takes place parallel to the main one. Like many other characters in Goblin Slayer, she appears to be an expy inspired by other anime and manga characters. In the case of Female Hero, she appears to be inspired by Haruhi Suzumiya.

Ts6lFXF.jpg

• Like 1

I finally finished Dragon Ball Super (i was 20 or more behind everyone). It might be my favorite Dragon Ball series. I loved all the growth of so many and how everything wasn't just a Goku saves the day. The tournament arc at the end was fantastic. I loved most of the other universes and the finale. It was great seeing so many get their awesome moments (Roshi's episode was one of my favorites). Can't wait to see what the do in the upcoming film.

• Like 3

What I do like about Super is that the characters all feel a lot more layered and more natural than they ever did in DBZ. That aside from Goku not understanding what kissing is. I get that Goku is functionally retarded, but the dude has two kids and a wife. And yes I know he thought marriage was a food at first. Dude knows what kissing is at this point. 

• Haha 1

I really dug the first episode of Golden Kamuy , I always am interested in learning hings about the Ainu and the story has such a great caper hook to it that watching it unfold should be good (hopefully)

James

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 3:19 AM, TheVileOne said:

What I do like about Super is that the characters all feel a lot more layered and more natural than they ever did in DBZ. That aside from Goku not understanding what kissing is. I get that Goku is functionally retarded, but the dude has two kids and a wife. And yes I know he thought marriage was a food at first. Dude knows what kissing is at this point. 

Nah, Goku is all business. Get in there and get out. 

The thing that helps Super the most is they do not have to stay two weeks ahead of the manga. They have an outline and can give their own flourishes. Unlike the staff that made GT and they love the series. It truly shows in even the weakest episodes. They also treat the non saiyans with great affection. So everyone gets to have a moment. 

I do wish Yamcha had been there. But you can't have him and Krillin on the same team. Since they basically have the same story arc. I probably would have preferred him in place of Krillin. But Krillin works so much better on the sidelines. 

I unfortunately cannot say the same thing for the manga. Toyotaro is far too obsessed with power scaling and it makes things far more mechanical. He is great at putting together fight scenes. But he treats the lower powered characters like shit.

Spoiler

He has Krillin and Tien eliminated as an afterthought. In the Tournament Of Power.

Even Trunks was treated like Buu Era Yamcha in the Goku Black arc. 

So at this point I greatly prefer the show to the manga.

So after needing to get used to the Xebec designs, the first episode of FMP IV was exactly what I was hoping for.  And I can't wait for the Belial to start trashing things like it does in SRW games.  When even top tier Newtypes have issues fighting it...

I saw there was like one show about horse girls that seems to be getting quite a bit of buzz...watched some footage...

giphy.gif

There's definitely a lot of weirdness in anime/manga/etc I can accept and enjoy. But like a school for horse girls (Like Catgirl but Horse) is where I have to draw the line. 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-15/gundam-00-anime-gets-sequel-project/.130390

But good news everyone, Gundam 00 is getting some sort of animated sequel project. And Seiju Mizushima is gonna work on it! I'm not sure what it's going to be considering the movie pretty much gave everything a closed ending, but whatevs. Gundam 00 was one of the better AU Gundam shows, so I'm fine with a follow-up.