DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

As a big time RWBY watcher, it has it's flaws. The first 2 seasons do a good job, imo, making you give a bit of a shit about the characters and some of the fight scenes are outstanding, but the animation is not great. Season 3 and especially 4 the animation got fixed but the story and fight scenes lacked. The fight scene thing is easy to figure, what with the shows creater and fight scene master Monty Oum passing away between seasons 2 & 3. Basically, every season of RWBY has had something wrong with it, but I still enjoy watching it a good deal. Mainly because both Weiss and Yang are just the best, and 2 of my favorite characters in general at this point.

• Like 1

Dies Irae doesn't pass the three episode rule for me, so I'm dropping it.  

Food Wars is still one of my favorite shows out there.  Season 3 is a little slow, but overall fantastic.  Erina's father has just shown up, and the melodrama is hilarious.  

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think you guys just have too much free time or something.

RWBY isn't too bad, but I'm kind of somewhere in between you and the Dragons on it. I don't think really think the story has ever been fully there, but its been decent enough along with the solid fight scenes. The animation has always felt on the cheap side even if done well. I'm curious on how things changed with Monty Oum's passing since I believe he was the main creator behind it.

I am trying to figure out what to compare to. Fanfiction isn’t really the right term even though it is often very derivative. I guess the best thing to liken it to would be fairly inspired backyard wrestling. I guess we all like OMEGA, but I think half of the appeal in watching it in 97 was that it sort of belonged to whoever was watching it in a way that more major and polished and professional promotions never could, and that includes ECW because you had to get on that train earlier to fully claim it.

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

RWBY isn't too bad, but I'm kind of somewhere in between you and the Dragons on it. I don't think really think the story has ever been fully there, but its been decent enough along with the solid fight scenes. The animation has always felt on the cheap side even if done well. I'm curious on how things changed with Monty Oum's passing since I believe he was the main creator behind it.

From what I understand it, Monty had the story setup written down and saved for up to season 7 I do believe already. I can't promise how much they went away from it though.

Montys death (once we talk about it past the fact that a really talented artist died just as his vision got started, and that's horrible) is actually an interesting line to draw in RWBY's history. Monty did some things very well: Tremendous and clever fight scenes, having a great idea on how to design characters (a large part of what sold me on the show was the character designs. Even if the animation wasn't amazing, all of the main cast is more or less perfect in terms of unique and awesome looks, especially Ruby, Weiss, and Yang), and basically knowing how to keep people invested: One of my favorite Monty things is that every major character in RWBY in the first couple seasons had a costume that had pockets clearly designed in it, for convenience for cosplayers. That's such a minor thing but really clever in marketing yourself to that fanbase.

That said, there are some things that were clear flaws as well. Monty wasn't a great story writer, and that led to many problems in the first couple seasons. RWBY kinda has struggled, imo, to figure out it's identity. In Season 1 & 2 it was mostly a teen drama with some awesome fight scenes. The problem is most of the teen drama stuff was centered around a character a lot of people didn't care about, and that fell flat. Also, it's a show that sold itself to people through it's trailers, which featured really really fun fight scenes. The Red, White, and Yellow trailer were mind blowing 5 years ago, and there were only 3 legitimate fight scenes in the entirety of season 1. Now all 3 were cool as shit, but that's over about 20 episodes. That's a lot of weekly episodes without the thing that sold the show, basically. Also, Monty was... flighty. He loved the rule of cool, and would push things just because "Well this is an awesome character design, so we are gonna use this character a bit" with no real plans for the character themselves. His love for side characters at points hurt some of the main characters progression.

But once Monty passed, things had to shift. Nobody else in the company can make fight scenes like Monty, and honestly, they haven't had a fight scene touch one of Montys true best since (Though Volume 5 Episode 4's fight scene, imo, comes close), so they had to focus to the story, and it's been mixed results so far. They basically changed from a teen drama to a full on straight anime style adventure, and... I'm still not sure that was the right call. I think the main plot could have used a couple more years to develop, but here we are. Season 3 was okay, Season 4 was not. Season 4 they tried to change how they animated things and basically took way too big of a bite to chew on, and many things felt rushed and poor. The good news is, Season 5 so far has felt like a significant step up from 4, at least in parts. Without going into spoilers for those who haven't watched it, I've really enjoyed the Yang and Weiss story arcs, have been "eh" on the Ruby one, and the Blake one has just been there to me for a while.

And rant over.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

That said, there are some things that were clear flaws as well. Monty wasn't a great story writer, and that led to many problems in the first couple seasons. RWBY kinda has struggled, imo, to figure out it's identity. In Season 1 & 2 it was mostly a teen drama with some awesome fight scenes. The problem is most of the teen drama stuff was centered around a character a lot of people didn't care about, and that fell flat. Also, it's a show that sold itself to people through it's trailers, which featured really really fun fight scenes. The Red, White, and Yellow trailer were mind blowing 5 years ago, and there were only 3 legitimate fight scenes in the entirety of season 1. Now all 3 were cool as shit, but that's over about 20 episodes. That's a lot of weekly episodes without the thing that sold the show, basically. Also, Monty was... flighty. He loved the rule of cool, and would push things just because "Well this is an awesome character design, so we are gonna use this character a bit" with no real plans for the character themselves. His love for side characters at points hurt some of the main characters progression.

But once Monty passed, things had to shift. Nobody else in the company can make fight scenes like Monty, and honestly, they haven't had a fight scene touch one of Montys true best since (Though Volume 5 Episode 4's fight scene, imo, comes close), so they had to focus to the story, and it's been mixed results so far. They basically changed from a teen drama to a full on straight anime style adventure, and... I'm still not sure that was the right call. I think the main plot could have used a couple more years to develop, but here we are. Season 3 was okay, Season 4 was not. Season 4 they tried to change how they animated things and basically took way too big of a bite to chew on, and many things felt rushed and poor. The good news is, Season 5 so far has felt like a significant step up from 4, at least in parts. Without going into spoilers for those who haven't watched it, I've really enjoyed the Yang and Weiss story arcs, have been "eh" on the Ruby one, and the Blake one has just been there to me for a while

The first two seasons were decent, but the episodes were too short. They basically only make up a real season when put together.  S3 was rushed with a couple seasons worth of stuff happening. Honestly, I think its the weakest season of the show. I thought S4 was ok writing wise. S5 has been decent. Not sure how you can already be "eh" on arc's story seeing as how they really haven't done much with it yet. Its also a little hard to call it her arc with how much focus has been on others and the main plot. Yang has definitely been the high point which is nice after seeing her mope around most of last season.

Honestly, my feelings are strongly influenced by two things. 1. The RWBY Villians mostly suck and are uninteresting, so the more centralized the plot becomes to deal with them, the less interesting the show tends to be. Ruby's story arc basically is the center plot, and that's been one of the main things that haven't done much for me. As said, Weiss dealing with her shit and Yang dealing with her shit have been the highlights of the show for me, and I'm kinda dreading them falling back in with Ruby and becoming more side characters again. And 2. I feel like as much of a disservice Season 4 did to basically all of the RWBY team (and it was one for every single one), no one came out looking worse then Ruby, who went through complete hell in Season 3 and then was still smiling and cracking jokes in season 4 when everyone else got more serious. It was hurt even more by the fact that the Title Character of the Show played 4th fiddle on team RNJR, which is even more not helped by the fact that while I don't mind Ren and Nora (and Season 4 was far from the lowest point Jaune's had on this show, even though I'm still not crazy about him), there's no way she should be playing background to them. So, overall, the RNJR story has been a weak spot on the show for me. Maybe not as weak as the Menagerie storyline, were Blake manages to be the least interesting part about it, but still.

We can certainly agree that Yang (And Weiss, imo) have been the highlights of the season so far. Episode 4's ending was the most hyped I've been for this show in a long time.

14 hours ago, dogwelder said:

RIP Hiromi Tsuru, probably best known as the seiyuu for Bulma in DragonBall and Madoka in KOR. 

Also Mikami Reiko from GS Mikami and Ukyo from Ranma 1/2

I cannot imagine the cast of DB not being in extreme grief right now since that casr has worked with each other for so long

James

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Also Mikami Reiko from GS Mikami and Ukyo from Ranma 1/2

I cannot imagine the cast of DB not being in extreme grief right now since that casr has worked with each other for so long

James

What's even worse is that, according to his twitter, Tohru Furuya was talking to her just moments before she died.

• 2 weeks later...

Peace Out Universe 6, I hope you get wished back. 

I was not a big fan of Ribrianne, but I did not know how disliked she was til recently. My favorite moment was 17 attacking her and friends mid transformation and being scolded for it by everyone.

Have to say how much I love Freeza being around. He is just so evil and creepy, he is hard to resist.

With the built up Sayian relationship between 6 and 7 and Vegita taking to Cabba the way he did, I can't see them not bringing back Universe 6.  

But we're pretty much heading toward a Jiren/Vegitto climatic battle.

It's hard to tell at this point.  Because really Goku has not won a major fight on Super. Well he did kill Freeza, but not sure that counts.

Vegeta has not been featured very much in the tourney and he is past due.

Gohan is a dark horse because Dende knows he could use a win.

Jiren probably won't because apparently he has a selfish wish in mind and I really think the multiverse will be wished back. The same reason I don't think Freeza will win. But you could do a big arc of looking for the Super Dragon Balls to restore the lost universes.

Toppo could win and wish everything back.  I doubt Dyspo could, since he has not been developed much but is not as left field as one of the robots would be. 

I would like to see a crazy U7 fusion like Piccolo/Gohan or 17/18.  Or 17/Piccolo, you get the picture.