DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

20 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Found it. Expecting to Fall Into Ruin, I aim to Become a Blacksmith. Basically the inverse male version. Except he’s meant to end up with the villainess from the game 

Ah, that! I remember reading the manga... isn't it more Shounen than Otome?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:02 PM, Eivion said:

I dug all three of these.

Liked Drifters and Golden Kamuy quite a bit.  Starting Fire Force this weekend.

Next week is probably 91 Days and Joker Game.  Kinda intrigued by Dororo (2019).  Not familiar with the manga but there was a somewhat obscure PS2 game (Blood Will Tell) based on it that I'm still a big fan of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Liked Drifters and Golden Kamuy quite a bit.  Starting Fire Force this weekend.

Fire Force is standardish shonen but solid. You probably started off too high seeing Drifters and Golden Kamuy first. The latter by the way should be gettign another season this year unless the curren tpandemic pushes it back to next year (other shows are already having to delay a season)

• Like 1

Watched Violet Evergarden earlier this week.  Good stuff.  Extremely well done.  It's not for everyone - it's talky, largely devoid of action and most anime tropes - but definitely one of the best series I've seen.

Watching Ajin; Demi-Human for the second time.  Am I the only person who likes this show?  I don't recall ever seeing a review that rated the show better than average or mediocre, but I really get into the show.  The graphic violence is off-putting, especially since a lot of it is gun violence, but otherwise it's an enthralling show.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Watched Violet Evergarden earlier this week.  Good stuff.  Extremely well done.  It's not for everyone - it's talky, largely devoid of action and most anime tropes - but definitely one of the best series I've seen.

Don't forget to catch the special and movie.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Watching Ajin; Demi-Human for the second time.  Am I the only person who likes this show?  I don't recall ever seeing a review that rated the show better than average or mediocre, but I really get into the show.  The graphic violence is off-putting, especially since a lot of it is gun violence, but otherwise it's an enthralling show.

I enjoyed it well enough when I saw it a few years ago. Its just nothing super standout to me.

Finishing up Kill la Kill.  Great fun.  Probably the most enjoyable anime I've seen in a good while.  I think I liked the front half a little more, when it was more over the top and sillier.  The babyface turns, Makoi's short-lived heel turn, and the introduction of the real big bad were all fine, but made the show feel a little more conventional.

With no live sports and first-run scripted pickings getting slim, I finally have time to make a dent in my really large anime backlog.  

Anyone watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 yet?

I kinda want to hold off in the hope that they'll release it on DVD or blu-ray (as they've done with Castlevania), but who knows when or if that might happen.  I'm a big fan of Kamiyama's so I'll probably break down and watch it sooner instead of later.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

With no live sports and first-run scripted pickings getting slim, I finally have time to make a dent in my really large anime backlog.  

Yeah- one thing with the time off on it I've seen is I can really start hitting through all the series in a huge backlog. Even without touching VRV as much since reupping, I got through Eden of the East (disappointing), Disgaea (disappointingly lame), Death Parade (interesting), DAIMIDALER: Prince vs. Penguin Empire (stupid generic crap), Chaos:HeaD (disappointing like Eden of the East), D-Frag (worse than I thought it'd be), C-Control (had some moments)Baka and Test, Cat Planet Cuties, and Ben-To (Why the hell I still had them at the top of my queue and didn't give up on them is beyond me.) 

On 4/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, TheVileOne said:

I forget what it's called, but I believe there's another isekai just like this. Like the premise is identical except it's a male and his fate is to marry basically the villainess of a fantasy story of a game he played in his world.  

This is likely the reason I stopped watching anime for so long: It seems like virtually everything that's come out in the 2010s was either "generic slice of life" or "generic isekai". What was worse was, all the slice of life was "humor? Story? Who cares. Here's a few cute girls, and you losers will make one of them your waifu and we'll cash in because of it", and all the isekai was "I was transported into a mysterious new world...which is a fantasy world where magic takes the place of technology, and everyone does adventures in a guild, with everyone planning to save the world from a mysterious evil force...and who the hell are we kidding. It's World of Warcraft. The hero was put in World of Warcraft. This whole show is a hero fantasy where they get to be the best player in their MMORPG of choice and get rewarded with power, and fame, and every hot girl avatar in the game begging to be with him." 

18 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yeah- one thing with the time off on it I've seen is I can really start hitting through all the series in a huge backlog. Even without touching VRV as much since reupping, I got through Eden of the East (disappointing), 

I've got plans to watch East of Eden sometime soon.  I watched it the series when it was first released and, like you, was disappointed to the point that I didn't watch the movies that wrapped up the plotline. On the other hand, I like director Kenji Kamiyam quite a bit - he was chief director and writer  of Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, which is one of my favorite animes - so I'm going to give it a second look.

Been watching a lot of anime lately.  Digging back through the output of my favorite studios and creators to see what I haven't watched or should rewatch.  Been rewatching the likes of Serial Experiments Lain and og Hellsing for the first time in at least a decade.

Digging through the filmography of Production I.G - my favorite studio - looking for new shows.  There are a number of shows I wouldn't give a look if they weren't from I.G, but look interesting enough to give a watch.

9 minutes ago, Control said:

Prime just added the first series of LUPIN THE 3rd. This will be the first anime I try watching since ATTACK ON TITAN, which turned me off with its fascism.

Prime also the most recent Lupin series (the one set in France). 

• Like 2

Never actually watched Saint Seiya and the original 1980s series is on Netflix, so going to give it a try.

The animation looks like it’s either been remastered or kept in good condition these last 30 years all things considered.

• Like 1

I know when Seiya got its first DVD Box Set release it ggot remastered, don't know if it was done so again for the Blu-Ray rlease. Its 80s animation and its most 80s!

James

• Like 1

Saint Seiya (Netflix):

So far, just not my cup of tea. I gave it about 10 episodes and not sure if I want to continue. Maybe it picks up later, but I'm just having difficulty latching onto any of the characters. 

Irregular at Magic High School Movie (Now on Funimation):

I get the appeal of Tatsuya as a character since he's stoic, OP, ultra-competent and gets shit done without whining or complaining about it. However, the movie was very plot clunky. It seems like a lot of important things happen offscreen and the story relies on you having been familiar with the light novels before seeing the movie. I just find the stuff with Miyuki off-putting. She just doesn't seem to have much of a personality other than, "Onee-sama!" Lina seemed like the most interesting character in the story but we don't really get to see her do a whole lot.

Also, I'm sort of confused who is on who's side in this whole conflict. The movie didn't really do a job of establishing that. 

The 8th Son Are You Kidding Me? (Crunchyroll)

Basically just another one of your basic fantasy isekai stories that's now getting an anime adaptation. It still surprises me which fantasy isekais are getting anime before ones I really like, such as Skeleton Knight. I remember reading the manga for this one a little bit, and it was OK for a while. The first couple episodes are OK, rather average, but they seem a little different than what I remember in the manga.

Demon Slayer

Is this like my favorite Shounen Jump series? No, but I get why it's so beloved. Great animation, great music, likable characters. Sort of ticks all the boxes. Just hope the wait isn't too long in the US for the movie and also a second season. The trade off is that they won't be running up against the manga storyline and hopefully get to spend more time on making the animation great. Zenitsu is my favorite character.

Once you get out of the Galaxian wars and its Bronze Boys v. Ikki which feeds into the Silver Saints it really piks up.. Kurumada has even admitted he probably whould have taken a different approach for the first arc but he was a pro-wrestling fan and went for a pro-wrestling kind of vibe with the Galaxian Wars. There are some good filler before the Silver Saints start (especially the Crystal Saint, which fleshes out Hyoga) and then of course its on to Sanctuary and that's where you really get what Saint Seiya is all about.

All in all it is that show that was doing 70s era shonen in the 80s that didn't quite carry over to the 90s 00s so well

James

• Like 1

Realized a few days ago that I've somehow never seen FLCL.  Like, I don't even remember seeing five minutes of a single episode.

Bought the entire series (original and reboot), so I may get to this weekend.  Also want to get to Promised Neverland soon and I'm in 26 eps in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (prob. start Stardust Crusaders today).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Anyone watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 yet?

I kinda want to hold off in the hope that they'll release it on DVD or blu-ray (as they've done with Castlevania), but who knows when or if that might happen.  I'm a big fan of Kamiyama's so I'll probably break down and watch it sooner instead of later.

I did watch it, and I'm very mixed on it. On one hand, I can clearly see the effort is there. The plot starts out a little slow. Once it gets going, it feels like classic Ghost in the Shell content. The dub team brought EVERYONE back from the Toonami/Adult Swim era. So Mary Elizabeth is back as Major, Richard Epcar as Batou, Crispin Freeman as Togusa, and even the minor actors reprise their roles. Even Melissa Fahn is back as the Tachikomas.

The CG animation and models? Bad. Now, the directors are experienced directors and they do create some decent shots from time to time with the CG. However, it just looks weird and awkward and off-putting. It looks nowhere near as good as the original two seasons of SAC. The original series was hand-drawn style with some CG thrown in from time to time for the vehicles and what not and the Tachikomas. That was enough. It's almost 15 years later, but a lot of the characters don't look much older. Togusa should be in his 40s right now, but he still looks pretty strong and youthful. I realize Major is a full-body cyborg, but her design looks weird. It's like they gave her the shell of a teenager. 

Story-wise, I think once they get about midway through and they've established the main conflict, it's a lot more interesting and it feels like Ghost in the Shell. Roger Craig Smith basically playing a mashup of Mr. Smith and Wesker is fun, especially considering Roger Craig Smith basically played Chris Redfield for many years on Resident Evil.

The music is missing something without Yoko Kanno. Yoko Kanno is probably one of my favorite composers ever, and the show has definitely lost something without her influence. I don't think she's working on anime very much these days, but the lack of her music has definitely hurt the series. I asked around and I think she recently did music for a ceremony for the Emperor of Japan. 

• Sad 1