DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

10 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Thinking of watching Dr. Stone?  Worth it?  I'm intrugued, but not really a big fan of Naruto/Bleach/Hunter x Hunter and this looks to be in the same general ballpark.

I like all of these shows, but Dr. Stone is pretty different from all of those. Its not really action oriented. Five the first 3-5 episodes a shot to see if you are interested. I thought the show was pretty good.

• Like 1

I watched the Altered Carbon joint.  Flash was good, but not a whole lot of substance.  Barely builds on any of the content for the show.  

Might leave a bad taste in your mouth if you watch it as a stand-alone and then try to watch the live action series.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I watched the Altered Carbon joint.  Flash was good, but not a whole lot of substance.  Barely builds on any of the content for the show.  

Might leave a bad taste in your mouth if you watch it as a stand-alone and then try to watch the live action series.

That is disappointing to hear. Any idea when its supposed to be taking place? I'm assuming between S1 and S2?

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

That is disappointing to hear. Any idea when its supposed to be taking place? I'm assuming between S1 and S2?

It feels like it takes place between S1 and S2, but does not address how Takeshi ends up in the female sleeve at the start of S2.

it would've been nice if Resleeved had been a better transition for the seasons of the live action series the same way that Pitch Black:  Dark Fury was for Pitch Black / Chronicles of Riddick or the way that Tales of the Black Freighter was a prequel to Zack Snyder's Watchmen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, Eivion said:

When will that show up on netflix over here?

It looks like the first season is finished in Japan, since it was 12 episodes. Not sure what the current coronavirus situation going to do to cause delays for the US release. Hopefully before the end of the year.

• Like 1

The staff of Mashin Sentai Kiramager, the 44th television series in Toei's Super Sentai franchise, announced at a TV Asahi press conference on Tuesday that Rio Komiya, who plays the show's protagonist Jūru Atsuta/Kirama Red, has been diagnosed with the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Komiya reported on March 24 that he had lost his sense of taste. Other cast members have not reported symptoms.

The show's filming has halted as of last weekend, but it has finished shooting for episodes until about the middle of May. The series premiered in Japan on March 8 with jewels and vehicles as its motifs.

Toei closed its studio on Tuesday for disinfection following Komiya's diagnosis. Toei Studios has not announced a reopening date as it depends on the decision of health officials.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-31/kiramager-rio-komiya-writer-actor-kankuro-kudo-diagnosed-with-covid-19/.158154

On 3/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Thinking of watching Dr. Stone?  Worth it?  I'm intrugued, but not really a big fan of Naruto/Bleach/Hunter x Hunter and this looks to be in the same general ballpark.

I don't think it is. I tried watching Naruto and it felt like 10 episodes would take place in the same 10 minute time frame. Dr. Stone MOVES. My whole family loves it- shit it made my youngest decide he wants to be a scientist. 

Can't recommend it enough to people who are even slightly interested.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I don't think it is. I tried watching Naruto and it felt like 10 episodes would take place in the same 10 minute time frame. Dr. Stone MOVES. My whole family loves it- shit it made my youngest decide he wants to be a scientist. 

Can't recommend it enough to people who are even slightly interested.

I finished it tonight and didn't really get into it.

On an anime kick since live-action television... uh, yeah.

Next couple shows on my watchlist: Golden Kamuy, Fire Force, Drifters.

Five sets of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure should arrive tomorrow provided the US postal system doesn't collapse overnight.

Anyone want to sell me on D. Gray Man or Mob Psycho?  Leaning toward giving Gray Man a go.  Not really into Mob Psycho, but it got great reviews and made a lot of Best of lists.  How much comedy is in it?  I have a really low tolerance for anime comedy and googly faces.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 4/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I finished it tonight and didn't really get into it.

On an anime kick since live-action television... uh, yeah.

Next couple shows on my watchlist: Golden Kamuy, Fire Force, Drifters.

Five sets of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure should arrive tomorrow provided the US postal system doesn't collapse overnight.

Anyone want to sell me on D. Gray Man or Mob Psycho?  Leaning toward giving Gray Man a go.  Not really into Mob Psycho, but it got great reviews and made a lot of Best of lists.  How much comedy is in it?  I have a really low tolerance for anime comedy and googly faces.

I dug all three of these.

I like both D.Gray-Man & Mob Psycho. If you check out the former know that you can mostly skip S2 as its mostly filler. Look around on the net and you can probably find out which specific set of episodes. Also suggest watching it subbed. Mob Psycho is a comedy. There is some big, serious action and darker aspects, but its definitely absolutely a comedy. I love it, but you might want to skip it. In general I suggest just checking out an episode or two to see if you can enjoy it. 

On 4/1/2020 at 11:44 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

A good rule of thumb for Mob Psycho is- it was made by the same creator of One Punch Man (and had roughly the same mix of action/comedy)- so if you liked One Punch Man, you'd probably like it. If you didn't, you can probably give it a pass. D. Gray-Man- again, the second season would be a problem, since it had a lot of the 2000s shonen anime style of "starts out really good, really interesting, but then falls off a cliff really quickly. " 

...not sure if my tastes should be listened to, though, realizing "I first watched anime 20 years ago, could be called a fan for 19 years- and somehow, today marks the first time I've ever watched an episode of Dragon Ball Z." 

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

A good rule of thumb for Mob Psycho is- it was made by the same creator of One Punch Man (and had roughly the same mix of action/comedy)- so if you liked One Punch Man, you'd probably like it. If you didn't, you can probably give it a pass. D. Gray-Man- again, the second season would be a problem, since it had a lot of the 2000s shonen anime style of "starts out really good, really interesting, but then falls off a cliff really quickly. " 

...not sure if my tastes should be listened to, though, realizing "I first watched anime 20 years ago, could be called a fan for 19 years- and somehow, today marks the first time I've ever watched an episode of Dragon Ball Z." 

Same here.  I've been watching anime off and on for several decades, and most of my exposure to Dragon Ball was marathoning Dragon Ball Super back around the first of the year.  I caught some of Dragon Ball Z back around the time it first started airing on Toonami, thought it was kinda terrible, and never checked it out again.  To be fair, the only thing I really remember from the Toonami run is the Buu saga, which seemed to go on forever at the time.

I'm planning to give DBZ Kai a go sometime this year.

• Like 1

Forgot to add an important thing about AC: Resleeved that kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

Spoiler

Takeshi's female partner turns out to be his sister, Rei. No explanation about how she ends up in the sleeve of an established CTAC operative a year after Tak put a bullet in her stack, but if anyone had the contacts and resources to needle cast a secret escape route it would be Rei.

Given the events of S1, I still find it hard that Rei has apparently let bygones be bygones, unless she's been double sleeving the entire time and her current CTAC persona is oblivious to what happened on earth during the Bancroft investigation.

I know it's possible and very illegal to double sleeve, but It felt a bit like fan service to have Rei survive the events of AC S1 and it is obvious that she'll be back in future installments of Resleeved.

Edited by J.T.

20 hours ago, turk128 said:

New season of animes dropped.... and I totally forgot that the infamous tales of the Bakarina got adapted, freakin sweet!

I forget what it's called, but I believe there's another isekai just like this. Like the premise is identical except it's a male and his fate is to marry basically the villainess of a fantasy story of a game he played in his world.  

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I forget what it's called, but I believe there's another isekai just like this. Like the premise is identical except it's a male and his fate is to marry basically the villainess of a fantasy story of a game he played in his world.  

There's a couple out there, if you remember the title , please tell me! It maybe something I haven't read yet.

The otome game isekai subgenre has become super crowded, a lot of Korean/manhwa have jumped on the craze.

The current popular one from the males PV is...The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs https://mangakakalot.com/read-aj9xw158504853643

58 minutes ago, turk128 said:

There's a couple out there, if you remember the title , please tell me! It maybe something I haven't read yet.

The otome game isekai subgenre has become super crowded, a lot of Korean/manhwa have jumped on the craze.

The current popular one from the males PV is...The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs https://mangakakalot.com/read-aj9xw158504853643

Found it. Expecting to Fall Into Ruin, I aim to Become a Blacksmith. Basically the inverse male version. Except he’s meant to end up with the villainess from the game