DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

When the baby naps Daddy plays catch up on Kamen Rider Zero One and damn, the first 15 episodes have pretty much made for the first major arc and its been damn fun. The pay off for Aruto is that he after getting all the Progrise Keys he an, he ends up with Fuwa's Assault Wolf Progrise Key and combines it with Shining Hopper Progrise Ky to get Kamen Rider Shining Assault Hopper and its badass

James

• Like 1

Enjoyed the second My Hero Academia movie. The action was better than the first movie, but writing not quite as good as Two Heroes

I wasn't a big fan of how they handled the whole Deku passes on One for All to Bakugo thing, which clearly wasn't going to stick. But the way they undo it was beyond moronic.

The movies are basically filler stories, but still fun. Heroes Rising gave the other classmates a little more to do. But Two Heroes still had that cool anime Die Hard thing going for it. Plus, I like how Two Heroes dealt with how manipulative and crippling nostalgia can be.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, TheVileOne said:

Enjoyed the second My Hero Academia movie. The action was better than the first movie, but writing not quite as good as Two Heroes

Reveal hidden contents

The movies are basically filler stories, but still fun. Heroes Rising gave the other classmates a little more to do. But Two Heroes still had that cool anime Die Hard thing going for it. Plus, I like how Two Heroes dealt with how manipulative and crippling nostalgia can be.

I could watch a whole series of the UA students just helping out that sleepy little town. I also didn't realize how much I needed this movie - because I was so happy to see some of the UA students get a moment to show why they're badass. I love Iida and Su so those two getting moments to be clutch had me popping. Dark Shadow was another one that I feel like hasn't been awesome since the tournament arc.

I was getting choked up in the climax - but then the "explanation" happened and I just laughed. What an eye roll of a moment. I would have even settled for the revelation that this is how Midoriya has changed the One For All power - that he can do what he did in times of extreme need. I mean that idea sounds like it fits in with his character so well. But when All Might said what he said there was a lot of laughter in our theater.

Despite that glaring flaw we had a blast tho. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I could watch a whole series of the UA students just helping out that sleepy little town. I also didn't realize how much I needed this movie - because I was so happy to see some of the UA students get a moment to show why they're badass. I love Iida and Su so those two getting moments to be clutch had me popping. Dark Shadow was another one that I feel like hasn't been awesome since the tournament arc.

I was getting choked up in the climax - but then the "explanation" happened and I just laughed. What an eye roll of a moment. I would have even settled for the revelation that this is how Midoriya has changed the One For All power - that he can do what he did in times of extreme need. I mean that idea sounds like it fits in with his character so well. But when All Might said what he said there was a lot of laughter in our theater.

Despite that glaring flaw we had a blast tho. 

It's the anime equivalent of Superman's amnesia-inducing kiss. 

Also, Tokoyami and Dark Shadow are like my favorite characters in this whole thing.

Edited by TheVileOne

Shout! Factory and TubiTV are streaming all of th original Kamen Rider subbed. This i anticipation of Shout! announcing the rights to all of amen Rider for US release!

James

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Shout! Factory and TubiTV are streaming all of th original Kamen Rider subbed. This i anticipation of Shout! announcing the rights to all of amen Rider for US release!

James

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I am pleased with this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Altered Carbon: Resleeved

Checks a lotta right boxes.

I'm all in for the story but I hate the CGI animation.  May as well play Altered Carbon:  The Telltale Series.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:37 PM, J.H. said:

People make fun of me for pimping Tubi, but they make outstanding content choices for their service.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

People make fun of me for pimping Tubi, but they make outstanding content choices for their service.

They have all the Transformers and GI Joe series (except Joe Extreme, which is bad but in an interesting way) and I have been enjoying revisiting the super fucked up GI Joe 2-parters (Synthoid Conspiracy, Worlds Without End and No Place Like Springfield).

Finishing up Jojo's G3/S2 tonight, and I'm left with one burning question:

WHY DOES ARAKI DRAW SHOULDERS LIKE THAT?  Every man wearing a sleeved shirt looks like he's got giant cyborg arms under his clothes and it's super distracting.  It's been a lot of fun to finally watch this after hearing about it since the 90s anime, but there will be a long break before I tackle G4.

Kind of anime-ish I guess. I was very mixed to borderline hated Season 3 of Castlevania. I feel like nothing really happened this season. The cracks in Warren Ellis' writing really started to show. Everyone sort of speaking in the same quippy, banter. Nothing really progressed. The story sort of ended in the same place we were at the end of Season 2. I feel like they lost direction without the presence of Dracula to drive things along.

If the show continues, they really need a new writer for Season 4. Season 2 had pacing issues but not like this. Not to mention they got 10 episodes this time. 

• Like 1