DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Caught the second Thunderbolt Fantasy movie last night. Was nice getting to see Lang Wu's origin, and I continue to be amazed at how awesome these fights with puppets manage to be. This series continues to be my favorite thing from Gen Urobochi. 

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Now that I've read the synopsis of the GoGaiGar vs. Betterman novels all I can say is... CAN WE PLEASE ANIMATE THIS THING!
I NEED TO SEE GOLDION ARMOR~!

James

Are they novels based off of those images that came out years ago of the proposed GGG sequel?

And is there a list anywhere of stuff that people are still hoping/waiting for?  GGG sequel, SEED Destiny movie, Stellvia 2, Nadesico 2, a Giant Robo sequel...anything else I'm forgetting?

The GGG novel is official from Sunrise. Written by one of the show writers and supervised by the series director. It takes all the stuff proposed for Project Z and has a batshit insane story (in true GGG fashion).

The novels are complete and currently are being serialized as manga. Fuck they even recorded and released another updated version of "Yuusha-Ou Tanjou" for it

James

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was just looking at Encore On Demand on Dish and they have full seasons of Robotech and Voltron! I never watched Robotech as a kid but I sure as hell did Voltron so this is definitely getting a run. 

Also on Amazon Prime along with the ADV subs of the Robotech components (though for some reason Macross lacks the OP and ED)

On 1/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Curt McGirt said:

80892972_795872734212945_623947424274474

To the embarrassment of my daughter, I would probably wear Kaneda's Capsule biker jacket out in public.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was just looking at Encore On Demand on Dish and they have full seasons of Robotech and Voltron! I never watched Robotech as a kid but I sure as hell did Voltron so this is definitely getting a run. 

There is also a shit ton of anime on Tubi including Kamui-No-Ken / The Dagger of Kamui.

MY CHILDHOOD HAS RETURNED~!!

Watched the first episode of Plunderer, been hearing a lot of buzz on this. The world building on that first episode is just so wacky and random. 

Like how is there a rule that walking 100 kilometers is one unit of walking for your weird number countdown? It's so weird and arbitrary. Like who decides that rule, and how do people know that one unit is 100 kilometers if that's your number break down?

On 12/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, Eivion said:

I have at 3 with the average girl show (that title is too damn long). Ascendance of a Bookworm and Kemono Mask were the best isekais to me this season.

Average Mile was the huge surprise for me, I read the novel and manga ... the author has lots of flaws to say the least but the anime really fixed much of it.

I'm still a bit miffed at Bookworm's adaptation, how the forced hamfisted humor (with those chibi asides) broke up any rhythm they establish, took the 1st season almost til the end to actually start to shine. Why they hell they didn't wholesale ripoff the manga adapt (amongst the best out there), I do not know.

I'm holding off on watching Cautious Hero since weighing whether to watch the anime or read the manga first.

Whoever they pick, I hope there are no incidents that shutd own the show for 6-9 months like with Cowboy Bebop.

As for casting, I'm up to around ch100 and (a) I can't imagine any human actor playing the pre-timeskip characters and (b) after looking at pictures of the post-timeskip versions doesn't help.

Cross posting from the Horror thread.

The four-part adaptation of Junji Ito's Uzumaki (Vortex / Spiral) will debut on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim / Toonami sometime this year and then premier in Japan.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What is Uzumaki about?

Weirdness in a rural Japanese town brought to you by the demented mind of Junji Ito.

To try to explain it any further would not do it justice.

Edited by J.T.

Received the City Hunter Season 1 set from Discotek yesterday. Never watched it before, but read a couple of chapters from the manga in the past, and like many watched the live-action Jackie Chan flick. I remember what turned me off from it was that I was looking for a substitute for more Cowboy Bebop, and suggestions led to this. But the main character balancing being, and a raging perv kind of turned me off. Now watching it, I think it feeds an itch I have for watching Neo-Niors with an 80’s pastel flair to it. And even though it is 80’s anime, the animation has held up quite nicely. Especially in scenes that try emulate the high action cinema of the time. Which is something that say a live action TV cop drama could never truly accomplish due to budget limitations, and unambitious TV directors.

The pervy stuff is still jarring, but it’s always balanced out nicely with the cliched Japanese two-faced hero who can go from comic relief, to stoic protagonist in a matter of seconds.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1