DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Finished up Gundam 00. I see why people are down on that 2nd half, but honestly I liked it more overall than the first half. The storytelling had an edge to it that the first half lacked. Especially when the first half was apparently dealing with harder issues. This was probably the fault of the way the action was story boarded, and animated. The 2nd half I could tell what was going on, and what was at stake as we saw the lives lost of the names, and unnamed background characters. Their was still a lot of New-Type shit throughout the end, but this felt tame compared to the UE. We did also get the prototypical love triangle complete with unnecessary tragedy, but for some reason I liked it, and felt I needed it at that point of the story. 

I did feel a sense of pointlessness as the show ended on an unsatisfying conclusion though. Ending at square one just sucks to me. I would’ve preferred a downer ending, or even a happy ending instead of the middle of the road ending we got. 

I’m going to watch the movie, I’ll take a break from Gundam before I tackle that bad boy. Instead I’ll be watching the VOTOMS TV series, and OVA’s for the first time. I’ll also be rewatching GiTS SAC. I’ve got a hankering for harder stuff.

• Like 1

Been re-watching Psycho-Pass the last two months or so I can recap a bit before catching S3. First season was as good as I remembered. S2 I'm not sure where I fall on it though I did enjoy it. It was nice seeing Akane really get to put that level of skill and competence to use in the second season. I also kind of liked the idea of the Sybil System needing to judge itself in order to further evolve. Thought Kamui was a decent enough villain though there was just something about him lacking in comparison to Makishima. Even beyond that he was maybe just a little too similar. Misa is still a character I hate and easily the weak link of the show. Her character at times doesn't make sense, and the journey she goes through just isn't done super well. I like the idea of her, but it feels like she could have been done better. 

Now I just need to watch the movies which will be difficult since only he first is somewhat readily available to me.

• Like 1

I should’ve finished watching Psycho Pass when it was available on Netflix. Especially now that I’m watching GiTS again, and I know that Psycho Pass was a follow up to it. 

Well, I can add another couple of titles to my watch list. Aura Battler Dunbine, and Gunsmith Cats. One I’ve never watched before(Dunbine), and one I’ve seen countless times(Cats). I’m watching the first few minutes right now of Gunsmith Cats. This transfer looks amazing with what is probably still the best looking OVA from that period. Also even though it’s technically an OVA series, this should still be in the consideration for top 5 80’s-90’s buddy cop action movies.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

20 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I should’ve finished watching Psycho Pass when it was available on Netflix. Especially now that I’m watching GiTS again, and I know that Psycho Pass was a follow up to it. 

Well you can catch it on Hulu if you want.

• Like 1

Went to the Fathom screening of Gundam: Char's Counterattack. This was my first subbed film via Fathom since Mazinger Infinity, and I don't remember ever having trouble with the subs before but these were so thin and thin-bordered that they became totally illegible anytime the bottom center of the screen was mostly white.  Like if someone in a Fed spacesuit was talking or they were on the bridge of a ship.  Good thing I'd seen it before or I would have been lost as hell

Edited by Cliff Hanger
  • Like 1

I went to see char's Counterttack as well and had similiar issues. I mean, fuck there is so much white in the backgrounds when not in space, who thought that putting white subs was a   good idea?

Still the movie is a good watch, especially the chase inside AXIS. The aanimation is kicked up a few notches in that sequence. This was all hand drawn because man the stuff with the funnels would toitally be CGI in this day and age

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ghibli Fest 2019 wrapped up with The Tale of Princess Kaguya. I hadn't seen it before but it was so amazing. First time I've basically wept in a theatre. It was weirdly scheduled at a different theatre and supposed to be the English dub. Thank God they fucked up and played the subtitles version as I can't imagine the dub of such a quintessentially Japanese movie having the same weight to it. As amazing as Miyazaki is, Takahata directed two of my favourite 3 Ghibli movies between that and Only Yesterday. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing the commercials and kick myself for never watching Toonami, so is Dr. Stone worth giving a watch? It looks crazy enough to appeal to me. The only other thing they show that seems like I'd be really interested is Attack on Titan.

Edited by Curt McGirt

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This really was the best show of the season. Save the world, your friends, and the one you love. 

Its been pretty damn fun, but it doesn't quite go that far for me.

8 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Really?  It wasn't even in the top 3 isekai shows this cour IMO...

I have at 3 with the average girl show (that title is too damn long). Ascendance of a Bookworm and Kemono Mask were the best isekais to me this season.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I keep seeing the commercials and kick myself for never watching Toonami, so is Dr. Stone worth giving a watch? It looks crazy enough to appeal to me. The only other thing they show that seems like I'd be really interested is Attack on Titan.

Both of those are great shows and well worth checking out.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What isekai shows were better? Cheat magicians definitely wasn't. 

Isekai Cheat Magician was last cour (and to be honest I think I enjoyed that more than Cautious Hero)

Anyway, like Elvion, my top 3 isekai shows this cour were Ascendance of a Bookworm, Kemono Mask and Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life.  I'd put Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life as slightly better than Cautious Hero.

Kemono Mask was OK. Decent premise, but it got old relatively quickly. I found Cautious Hero superior and they eventually turn the premise on its head. 

Haven't watched make my abilities average yet or ascendance of a bookworm but I will give them a shot. Even if they are just slightly better, that just says to me that all three shows are operating on a high level.

Cautious Hero I respect for both poking at the whole isekai setup but also creating a story with genuine characters and emotions. At the outset, it appears to be a Konosuba clone, but it's actually much more than that.

• Like 1