DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Raziel said:

For Fuck's sake Funimation, it's not that fucking hard to get a GOOD singer to do an english version of Ultimate Battle recorded in an actual studio instead of whatever the fuck you recorded for the DBS 116 dub.  Damn they did EVERYTHING RIGHT with the episode except for that.

At least they didn't screw it up on the last episode with Goku and Gohan's Kamehameha on 2 and 6.

• Like 1

I'm not even posting the new trailer for it but all I'm going to say about this shitfest remake of Saint Seiya is that this CGI looks like a fuckin ps1 game!

James

2 hours ago, John Austin said:

At least they didn't screw it up on the last episode with Goku and Gohan's Kamehameha on 2 and 6.

I'm just hoping they get Ultimate Battle redone for when it comes back by the final fight.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, Matt D said:

The 17 year old has inflicted That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime on the wife and I, and we're bonding with him so we watch. It's fairly harmless until you realize it's part of a bigger genre (I did not know this for I am out of touch), of people getting reincarnated in games where they are generally all powerful. And not in that Kenshin way where he can theoretically beat everyone but the hook is whether or not he can continuously save everyone around him without breaking his vow not to kill, or anything like that. 

Eva, to me, always felt like a major pastiche of the genre of shonen which was basically training young Japanese boys to someday carry the weight of the world on their shoulders as wage employees that dominated a lot of the 80s and 90s. 

That this Isekai stuff is so dominant now just makes me feel old. 

Just treat it like a genre, akin to the superhero genre.

Currently, the more popular ones are thinly veiled power trips and revenge fantasies. FYI Slime is an example of the better ones amongst those tropes. (Another one is called Death Mage *insert really long title*, which is a power trip/revenge fantasy on the surface but at it's core is, I kid you not, an exploration of transhumanism. Yeah, it's a trip.)

Thankfully, there are some great diamonds in the rough (not power trips and revenge fantasies). These are essentially Quantum Leap type isekai where there's no cheat skills whatsoever to start with, just plain ole modern knowledge. Ascendance of a Bookworm is slated to debut in October. I'm hoping the others will also get picked up.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the first Kamen Rider of the Reiwa era... Kamen Rider 01!

66705456_1759376864165789_72447887766338

I dig the design, very sleek and not busy. Some of the early Toy catalogs show that the the Henshin/Powers are cassette based and cause the color change in the non-black portions of the suit. September 1st is the day!

James

• Like 3

On 7/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, J.H. said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the first Kamen Rider of the Reiwa era... Kamen Rider 01!

66705456_1759376864165789_72447887766338

I dig the design, very sleek and not busy. Some of the early Toy catalogs show that the the Henshin/Powers are cassette based and cause the color change in the non-black portions of the suit. September 1st is the day!

James

A cassette based theme for this sounds like it could be interesting.

More 01 info has come out...

- The main gimmick for this series involves memory-card based devices known as Progrise Keys which are inserted into Drivers and weapons to unlock new abilities. Thus far all Progrise Keys seem to be based on animals.

- Kamen Rider Zero-One will henshin using the Rising Hopper Progrise Key in his unique Driver- tentatively known as the Hiden Zero-One Driver

- Additional forms to be used by Zero-One include Flying Falcon, Biting Shark, Flaming Tiger, Freezing Bear and a massive armored drone form called Breaking Mammoth

Kamen-Rider-Zero-One-Scan-14.png

Kamen-Rider-Zero-One-Scan-2-1-150x150.jp

Like BUILD his bike starts asa cellphone

James

• Like 1

Not super into the belt/cassette interaction now that I've kinda seen it in action. Rest of the suit is pretty slick though. Small quibble, not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Yeah that was a shitty thing to read before I went to sleep last night. The suspect has no known connection to the studio either so the motive is still unclear. Every time I read an update, it just gets worse.

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Holy fuck this is horrible.  Someone set fire to KyoAni's Building One.  Multiple fatalities, suspect in custody.

Heard about this on the radio while the way to work this morning 

Very sad.  My prayers are with the families.

Reports are that the suspects intention was to kill people rather than property but even if no one had died, Arson not resulting in homicide can still carry the death penalty especially if you set fire to a building that people use as a habitat or if you intentionally try to destroy any element of Japans' mass transit system.

If the Tokyo Subway Attacks had resulted in zero casualties, Shoko Ashaha would still probably gotten a death sentence since his symbolic target was part of Japan's rail system.

Edited by J.T.