DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I loved that you could see both sides of the argument and no one wanted to budge. I'm a team Armin guy so I was distraught. It was definitely an episode that lived up to my anticipation of it. This next one better deliver on the fucking basement.

The thing is both sides were coming more from emotions than anything else, but Erin was absolutely right in that all of the ideas that actually worked came from Armin. Anyone in the know who could have pushed emotions aside would have chosen Armin. Of course I think the only person who probably could have done that would have been Pixis.

The only thing that annoys me is that the Titan Coordinate power is way too powerful in terms of its healing abilities.

This transferring your consciousness into your body bullshit after your head gets knocked off.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the computer animated Captain Harlock movie last night. What a trip! Absolutely gorgeous, made almost no sense at all. ? Might have to look for some of the older shows/movies to see if they used any old plot points better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Watched the computer animated Captain Harlock movie last night. What a trip! Absolutely gorgeous, made almost no sense at all. ? Might have to look for some of the older shows/movies to see if they used any old plot points better.

Crunchy Roll has all of Galaxy Express 999 and both Harlock TV shows available streaming w/ subs

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:19 AM, JLSigman said:

The movie really has no resemblance to any of the past Harlock timelines except the existence of Harlock himself, Tochiro and the Arcadia. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/18/18683609/attack-on-titan-fascist-nationalist-isayama-hajime-manga-anime

Jesus Christ on ice skates. What's more offensive is that a lot of sycophants have bought into this garbage. 

I saw something about this over in ANN's topic. Has the anime gotten to the point where people are picking up on this idea? I ask because if so I'm not really seeing it.

I can see how that can be an interpretation, but I only know the anime. 

But I interpret the show differently. Their is something kind of incredible about its depiction of the cycle of violence. Eren goes from a victim of Titans, to a titan himself swearing revenge, to discovering that the lines aren't nearly as clear as that. Monsters are created by the oppressed. The oppressed defeat the monsters by becoming the monsters, and it keeps going. And the time gulf is so big that who knows how far back this REALLY goes. 

The military is treated as expendable bodies by even the people they protect. There is a disturbing level of fatalism that comes from being confined like rats in a cage for so long. It's a Japanese show, but there are elements that I feel can speak to the tragedy of the American experience and even the more liberal audiences could find it enlightening if they chose to see it.

Some "intellectual" audiences are getting to the point where their pop art consumables need to preach to their choir lockstep, and I'm not cool with that kind of mass homogeneous thinking. I'm actually more interested in a work if it's "problematic" than if it just says "Hey fascism is bad, you're on the right side of history" or some lame shit like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I can see how that can be an interpretation, but I only know the anime. 

But I interpret the show differently. Their is something kind of incredible about its depiction of the cycle of violence. Eren goes from a victim of Titans, to a titan himself swearing revenge, to discovering that the lines aren't nearly as clear as that. Monsters are created by the oppressed. The oppressed defeat the monsters by becoming the monsters, and it keeps going. And the time gulf is so big that who knows how far back this REALLY goes. 

The military is treated as expendable bodies by even the people they protect. There is a disturbing level of fatalism that comes from being confined like rats in a cage for so long. It's a Japanese show, but there are elements that I feel can speak to the tragedy of the American experience and even the more liberal audiences could find it enlightening if they chose to see it.

Some "intellectual" audiences are getting to the point where their pop art consumables need to preach to their choir lockstep, and I'm not cool with that kind of mass homogeneous thinking. I'm actually more interested in a work if it's "problematic" than if it just says "Hey fascism is bad, you're on the right side of history" or some lame shit like that. 

Most of these elements were pretty obvious to me from the first season. Especially with the military aspects. So I don't know how anyone can interpret this as pro-fascist bullshit and accuse the author of being anti-Korean, pro-Japan Nationalist or some garbage like that.

Look at the whole Full Metal Jacket scene ripoff. They indoctrinate the soldiers by trying to instill in them that they are basically worthless garbage.

Edited by TheVileOne

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I saw something about this over in ANN's topic. Has the anime gotten to the point where people are picking up on this idea? I ask because if so I'm not really seeing it.

Yes I think that's why it has cherry picking "journalists" are putting it in their crosshairs now since they are at that point in the anime now.

Edited by TheVileOne

I'm looking for any opinion on the new Evangelion dub that isn't written by the frothing fanboy masses or clickbait psuedo-journo-wasteoids.

I will entertain the idea that not ponying up for the rights to "Fly Me To the Moon" is art murder, though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm looking for any opinion on the new Evangelion dub that isn't written by the frothing fanboy masses or clickbait psuedo-journo-wasteoids.

I will entertain the idea that not ponying up for the rights to "Fly Me To the Moon" is art murder, though.

Here you go. Stick with the existing versions of Evangelion and not the Netflix version. It's not like it's hard to get decent high quality editions of Evangelion on home video. It's been re-released a number of times. 

Re-dubbing Evangelion was relatively pointless. I'd hardly call the original perfect, but it was fine for what it was. 

Now ultimately, I'd just say not to watch Evangelion overall because Hideaki Anno constantly ruins it with his ego and does wrong by the fans. Also, it's overrated ? .

Granted, I get why Evangelion is popular because even though it's a mecha anime series with teen protags, it tends to avoid a lot of the familiar cliche tropes and has a lot of insane sci-fi weirdness. 

It just makes me angry because I thought Rebuild was going to finally fix everything, only for Anno to start snorting coke midway through production dumping all of it and flushing it down the toilet and abandoning it like a fucking asshole. Dude thinks he's David Lynch or something.

I think Anno is so far up his own ass and has been for a long time. I hate he thinks that he can swipe obvious tropes from Gundam and IDEON and act like he made something totally original. Hell at least Tomino has come out publically and essentially has been like "Hey kids, I was kinda in a bad place emotionally when I did some stuff. Sorry I was up my own ass... now watch Overman King Gainer dance the moinkey!"

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

I’m happy to say I was lucky to have experienced Evangelion first with End of Evangelion. Getting smacked in the face with a scene of a teenager jerking off on top of another comatose teenager broke me in. So it was easier to except the middle fingers Anno was shooting at me when I went back to watch the show, and now the Rebuild movies. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2019 at 5:45 PM, J.H. said:

Honestly, depending on what they do after the RDC (if anything) it may become a curse. 

If they just do 13 and finish out the RDC? Great. If they do 26 again and finish the RDC then do OVA stuff? Cool.

If they finish the RDC and then go into the next arc...oh god please no.

• Like 1

At this point they should have stopped One Punch Man after the first season IMO.  There's been a huge drop in quality in the second season.

On the other hand, if there's not a second season of Isekai Quartet there should be a riot.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 5:24 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

It's an overly dry and literal translation with lots of awkward language. It's not the fault of the actors, they were given a shit script with no personality (apparently Anno and Khara have been very hands on with translations starting with Rebuild 3.0 and don't allow the Western licensees to massage the scripts to work better). It's not a hate crime or anything but it's fairly bland and sad.

• Like 1