DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:36 PM, TheVileOne said:

The Godbrand stuff felt like padding to me considering where it went. 

Season 3 seems to be setting up a Curse of Darkness type season, but not sure if they are going in that direction.

That's the vibe I got from the end of the season. With Issac in the desert creating a new army, and Hector being enslaved to Carmilla.  I enjoyed the first season, but the second season blew it out of the water. I loved the choice of 'Bloody Tears' for the music during the first battle scene.  Like I said above, the only thing I really didn't care for was the storyline of Carmilla being out for herself.  Mostly because it was Carmilla, who has been something of a recurring character in the games. If it was Godbrand or one of the other nameless generals who wound up being killed in the final battle scene, and I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it.

• Like 1

Kazuo Koike has passed. n top of writing Lone Wolf & Cub, Crying Freeman, Hannape Bazooka (with Go Nagai) and countless others he also helped train such mangaka as Rumiko Takahashi and Hokuto No Ken artist Tetsuo Hara!

Koike and Minkey Punchh in the same week.. .damn that hits hard!

James

On 4/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, TheVileOne said:

I knew Kenja no Mago was getting an anime, but I wasn't expecting it to be out in April, and now Arifureta has been moved to July.

Kenja no Mago is basically Gary Stu Isekai the series. Enjoy everyone! 

Unfortunately, it was a tall order to produce a good anime from that source material. Even when they try to hamfist humor into it, it still doesn't add any spice to the incredibly bland plot. At least it's better than the Cellphone isekai anime? Right? ?

In good news, the Bakarina adapt is moving forward after a too early announcement.

Edited by turk128
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turk128 said:

Unfortunately, it was a tall order to produce a good anime from that source material. Even when they try to hamfist humor into it, it still doesn't add any spice to the incredibly bland plot. At least it's better than the Cellphone isekai anime? Right? ?

In good news, the Bakarina adapt is moving forward after a too early announcement.

It's very much cut from a similar cloth as cellphone isekai, just no harem.

Did some more Lupin rewatch. 

I liked the Jigen mini movie, although all the Fujiko nudity in the eyes wide shut section was a little  creepy. 

Now watching Cagliostro, which ive likely not watched this century. (I have it on vhs somewhere) 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was all set to order the Blu-Ray of Beautiful Dreamer but then Prime informed me I can watch it for free with my Prime membership. The problem is... I still want that hard copy. Anothert problem is I also wish Only You was available!

James

Well, as of "Death Thirteen" I'm no longer comfortable watching Jojo on the bus or at lunch (between the diaper change and the gory dog violence). Gonna check out Black Clover and Haikyuu for my big loud shonen show to watch in transit.

Crunchyroll/Vrv has added a ton of old stuff in the past 2 weeks.  All the Discotek stuff that was on Amazon previously, but also all of Blue Seed, a bunch of stuff I've never seen, and Hatlock SSX. Guess I know what my new bus anime will be.

Baki the Grappler sort of lost me in its second half. The first season was so crazy and insane that I could understand the appeal. This season was even more disjointed and took even more ridiculous tangents. Spoilers for safety:

There's a whole episode dedicated to Yujiro Hanma meeting Muhammed Ali in the 1970s and verbally fellating him which is totally out of character, praising him for defending the weak and standing up for the rights of African Americans. People tell me it's simply the author being a fanboy for Ali, but to me that's just bad writing and storytelling. Everything from what I understand about Yujiro is that him doing something like this is totally out of character. Not to mention, Yujiro is a f'n rapist. This is sort of where the show completely lost me.

Also, Doppo Orochi is OK after getting his face exploded. We never find out what happened to his wife though. Once again, the writing for this show is insanely disjointed.

Also, I guess the Death Row convict tournament is over now? No idea.

Turns out I actually liked the first season better than the second (though we still aren't finished). Pretty talky. We got a lot of amusement out of Peter Stormare sounding like a half redneck, half European vampire though, until his character got too irritating to handle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Turns out I actually liked the first season better than the second (though we still aren't finished). Pretty talky. We got a lot of amusement out of Peter Stormare sounding like a half redneck, half European vampire though, until his character got too irritating to handle.

I think the Godbrand character was an interesting idea on paper but weak in execution. 

Y'all are slipping, guys.

This year marks the 35th anniversary of the release of Nausicaa and Fathom Events is sponsoring a theatrical re-release on May 20th and 21st.

Fathom also has a limited release of Saga of Tanya the Evil - the Movie this coming Thursday in select venues.  It will be the first showing of the feature outside of Japan.

Edited by J.T.

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think the Godbrand character was an interesting idea on paper but weak in execution. 

I think the character served his purpose, they wanted to show that not all vampires are smart or cunning, but eventually you just want Dracula to take him out and paintbrush him for being an asshole and a whiner. So, his fate was pretty satisfying.

Always got a kick out of Stormare saying "metalphetamine" in Spun too, btw haha

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think the character served his purpose, they wanted to show that not all vampires are smart or cunning, but eventually you just want Dracula to take him out and paintbrush him for being an asshole and a whiner. So, his fate was pretty satisfying.

Always got a kick out of Stormare saying "metalphetamine" in Spun too, btw haha

I guess what I mean is he didn't really do anything. He was kind of built up and then he just gets unceremoniously and abruptly offed. I was expecting him to have a more climactic finish. 

• 3 weeks later...

I loved that you could see both sides of the argument and no one wanted to budge. I'm a team Armin guy so I was distraught. It was definitely an episode that lived up to my anticipation of it. This next one better deliver on the fucking basement.