DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Battle of The Planets hooked from the moment I heard Hoyt Curtain's amazing theme music in 1978, from there it was Star Blazers and then jump ahead a few years to Voltron and Robotech. I got hooked on Robotech watching it Saturday mornigns on WNBC in NYC at 6am. It was the episode with Rick & Lisa trapped durin a battle inside he SDF-1 and the whole episode was them talking and I was kind of amazed by that. The next time I went ot the old Forbidden Planet store on 59th between 2nd & 3rd avenues I saw and bought a copy of Robotech Art 1, which had a pretty good rundown of the history of Anime thus revealing to me that BotP was Gatchaman).

I saw Akira while at college in 1990 and it blew me away. After being asked not return for my second semester (I managed to get incompletes in every class I was taking my first semester) I ended up i nthe Marvel mailroom. Thrlugh a co-woker I was introduced to a gjuy who was willing to give me tapes of stuff from Japan in exchange for ther weekly comic bundles (both DC & Marvel). I scored episodes of Gatvhaman, 3nd gwn unsubbed with commercials, a nice subbed copy of Be Forever Yamato and got introduced to Saint Seiya, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers and Tenku Senki Shurato.

My addiction just got worse from there...

James

• Like 2

I've got a feeling several people on this board would geek out of Hi-Score Girl on Netflix. 

It's a really fun coming of age story about a time period that I can relate to. And it's gotten my kids into Street Fighter II Turbo.

So if you grew up in arcades in the 90's, and have fond memories of playing games like Final Fight with your BFF....this show is for you.  

• Like 1

I can think of a whole bunch of stuff Discotek could pick-up that I'd drop money, not the least of which is Shurato so w2e can finally have all 3 God Warrior shows available i nthe states

James

I'm not sure how I feel about the Netflix Ultraman series. The action is good but the long drawn out talking parts are supposed to move the story along are... long talking parts to a fault. Of course I have an issue with it being doen as a direct sequel to original Ultrmana ignoring thel ast 40 years of Ultra history

James

Watching the first ep of Mix! and it's like a warm blanket on a cold day.  Adachi's big-eared characters look a little odd in modern animation, but that's okay. For me, this is the very definition of anime comfort food even as I await the inevitable brutal tragedy.

Meanwhile I'm watching one of the other baseball anime this cour, Cinderella Nine.  I guess I'm a sucker for things about all-girl baseball teams, considering I've watched A League Of Their Own, Princess Nine and Taisho Baseball Girls.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:57 AM, J.H. said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Netflix Ultraman series. The action is good but the long drawn out talking parts are supposed to move the story along are... long talking parts to a fault. Of course I have an issue with it being doen as a direct sequel to original Ultrmana ignoring thel ast 40 years of Ultra history

James

I wish it wasn't in CG. It just looks so janky. The movement always looks so unnatural. 

Also everyone should watch My Roommate is a Cat if you want a sweet, wholesome and cute show that is guaranteed to give you diabetes. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I tend to be a sucker for baseball anime in general. Between Major and Ace of Diamond and everything Adachi basebsall anime is always good times

James

That reminds how much I miss that SD/anime baseball phone game i used to get every year, but I think stopped like 5 years ago. 

Edit: baseball superstars 

Edited by odessasteps

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, J.H. said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Netflix Ultraman series. The action is good but the long drawn out talking parts are supposed to move the story along are... long talking parts to a fault.

Of course I have an issue with it being doen as a direct sequel to original Ultrmana ignoring thel ast 40 years of Ultra history.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, TheVileOne said:

I wish it wasn't in CG. It just looks so janky. The movement always looks so unnatural. . 

This sounds like total blasphemy.  I'll probably hate it so I will give it a hard pass.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:31 AM, J.H. said:

Battle of The Planets hooked from the moment I heard Hoyt Curtain's amazing theme music in 1978, from there it was Star Blazers and then jump ahead a few years to Voltron and Robotech.

Sounds like the path I took through my Japanese Animation phase. 

In retrospect, I kinda wish that Battle Of The Planets had been a straight import without the blatant inclusion of 7 Zark 7 to make it seem more kid friendly.

For the longest time, I hated the local Fox affiliate in my area because they were the last one in the state to start showing Star Blazers.  The Norfolk / Va. Beach indie television stations always seemed to get the good cartoon shows first.

Then the Thundercats / Silver Hawks / Transformers / GI Joe era began and all was forgiven.  It was a great time to be a kid.

Edited by J.T.

So I've tried the first episodes of Cinderella Nine, MIX!, and the first episode of Ace of Diamond and I liked them all. They felt really familiar but in a good way. Like the animation of MIX!, with the older style character models, but the sister kinda creeps me out.

We also hit up Fairy Gone. I like the world and the premise, so I'll stick with it for a few more eps before I make a firm decision to see it through. Thought the way the main girl protag got her powers was contrived and baffling. Didn't anyone else see it? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaedmc said:

We also hit up Fairy Gone. I like the world and the premise, so I'll stick with it for a few more eps before I make a firm decision to see it through. Thought the way the main girl protag got her powers was contrived and baffling. Didn't anyone else see it? 

It was a decent first episode but nothing that quite draws you full in despite the world being interesting. I will probably stick with it until the end unless its gets frustratingly terrible.

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

So I've tried the first episodes of Cinderella Nine, MIX!, and the first episode of Ace of Diamond and I liked them all. They felt really familiar but in a good way. Like the animation of MIX!, with the older style character models, but the sister kinda creeps me out

I also recommend Major if you want a relly long deep dive Baseball anime. Hell the manga ran for 15 uears or so before thery even decided to animate it soit never had the problem of having to do anime original stories

James

On 3/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, TheVileOne said:

I think Castlevania is good, but it definitely suffers from pacing issues in Season 2 when they went from 4 episodes to 8. Secondly, the Warren Ellis snark definitely shows. I think Ellis is a talented writer, but sometimes his brand of snarky humor gets a little obnoxious. 

First season was like too quick. It was basically like a pilot movie as Eivon stated. 

But once season 2 picks up, it is a lot of fun. Basically, Dracula is the protagonist. They did the whole Dracula as tragic antihero bit very well. 

I just finished episode #4, and that's my only real complaint. It almost feels little too Game of Thrones-esque, with Godbrand being disgruntled and Carmilla seemingly plotting against Dracula. But, as a longtime fan of the series, I'm really enjoying it. I've always liked the character of Alucard, and I think the portrayal of him in the series has nailed it. And, I love the inclusion of the Hector and Issac characters (although Issac looks a little different than he did in Curse of Darkness).

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

I just finished episode #4, and that's my only real complaint. It almost feels little too Game of Thrones-esque, with Godbrand being disgruntled and Carmilla seemingly plotting against Dracula. But, as a longtime fan of the series, I'm really enjoying it. I've always liked the character of Alucard, and I think the portrayal of him in the series has nailed it. And, I love the inclusion of the Hector and Issac characters (although Issac looks a little different than he did in Curse of Darkness).

The Godbrand stuff felt like padding to me considering where it went. 

Season 3 seems to be setting up a Curse of Darkness type season, but not sure if they are going in that direction.

• Like 1