DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Well I won't be watching the New Saint Seiya reboot on Netflix. That trailer is so embarrassing I won't even link to it. /straight up changing one of the main characters from male to female makes zero sense. The reasoning is even worse ("it was just a group of guys" is NOT a reason to make Shun female, also the manga and anime have rules for female saints regarding their masks and the consequences for being unmasked)

So fuck that train wreck

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Well I won't be watching the New Saint Seiya reboot on Netflix. That trailer is so embarrassing I won't even link to it. /straight up changing one of the main characters from male to female makes sense. The reasoning is even worse ("it was just a group of guys" is NOT a reason to make Shun female, also the manga and anime have rules for female saints ergarding theri masks and the consequences for being unasked)

So fuck that train wreck

James

Why is Netflix so gungho to remake anime? I thought the Voltron was a one-off until GITS and now Saint Seiya which I had no idea was coming.

14 hours ago, J.H. said:

Well I won't be watching the New Saint Seiya reboot on Netflix. That trailer is so embarrassing I won't even link to it. /straight up changing one of the main characters from male to female makes zero sense. The reasoning is even worse ("it was just a group of guys" is NOT a reason to make Shun female, also the manga and anime have rules for female saints regarding their masks and the consequences for being unmasked)

So fuck that train wreck

James

It's all fiction so rules can be amended? Underlying lore is rarely the driving force of a good story. I haven't seen the trailer, mind you. I bet the art style will annoy me.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Why is Netflix so gungho to remake anime? I thought the Voltron was a one-off until GITS and now Saint Seiya which I had no idea was coming.

Because they did a pretty good job with Voltron?

16 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Did they?

I mean really?
Shitty animation and an ugly redesign of a great mecha turned me off no matter how good the story was BUT I'm also one of those rare people that thinks Vehicle Voltron was better due its harder sci-fi political storylines.

James

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

6 hours ago, J.H. said:

Did they?

I mean really?
Shitty animation and an ugly redesign of a great mecha turned me off no matter how good the story was BUT I'm also one of those rare people that thinks Vehicle Voltron was better due its harder sci-fi political storylines.

James

As someone who is in the middle of the final season I can say its been a mixed bag with only the Earth invasion/rebellion season from before really knocking it out of the park. Otherwise its been a general mix of good, terrible, annoying, and pacing issues.

My thoughts overall of Voltron is that I'm ok with the animation due to liking Airbender.  Also, OG was a bit of a mess because of the kiddie editing, and I remember Nickelodeon's attempt at reviving Voltron with that sequel series that fucked with the robot design Waaaaay more than LD did.  Also, Voltron Force was fucking awful.

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Not sure where to put this. But there is going to be a five week sentai mini series. It will involve a battle royal of 150 rangers.

Soooo... 49 less Sentai members than the 199 Legend War?

James

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Not sure where to put this. But there is going to be a five week sentai mini series. It will involve a battle royal of 150 rangers.

That sounds cool. What’s the premise exactly? Is it a deathmatch, or will they just be beamed out of the arena if they get hurt too much?

Hell I'm so behind on Toku, a new season of GARO started and I kinda don't care, though that might be I went back and started rewatching Kamen Rider EX-AID and discovering that it is actually pretty awesome

James

23 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That sounds cool. What’s the premise exactly? Is it a deathmatch, or will they just be beamed out of the arena if they get hurt too much?

It sounds like it is copying the last Dragon Ball tourney. Guessing there will be a ring. Not much info right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

It took me six months, but I finally finished the first year of Jojo's.  I'm definitely coming back for at least Stardust Crusaders, but giving the series a rest first. Catching up on My Hero Academia (I barely started season 3 before I wandered off for a bit) will probably be my next bus watch.

• Like 1

Saint Seiya: Saintia is... not terrible. I mean its basically ignoring the rules for female saints altogether to redo the 1st Seiya movie's villain and setting it all up as events that take place i nthe original Seiya timeline (i.e. episode 1 takes place weeks before The Galaxian wars begin). I'm enough of a Seiya fanto see where this goes

James

• Like 1