DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I don't know if manga discussion really belongs here. However, I am reading Ishinomori's Kamen Rider at the moment, and I am finding the depiction of Batman and Spiderman rather comical. From what I have gathered they are the evil henchmen of the show, as for why they chose the American comic heroes, I do not know.

Finished Garden of Sinners.

5th movie I liked but would rank it near the bottom of the series, too much of a focus on the side characters I didn't care as much about for me. 6th movie didn't seem overly important to the greater story but was really enjoyable as a quick side story and provided so me interesting character development. 

7th movie was great and wraped up everything nicely except for 1 unanswered question 

never did figure out who commited the initial killings before Shiki went into a coma

The bonus epilogue story was a massive waste of time. A 5 minute idea stretched out to 30. Rather forget it even happened. 

Only sporadically watched the Star Blazers series off and on.  More of a Capt. Harlock fan myself.  What order should I watch the available episodes on Netflix DVD followed by the feature films.  I love Matsumoto's design and style, want to start from the begiining with this classic series.

What order should I watch the available episodes on Netflix DVD followed by the feature films. 

No clue what's on Netflix and i've only seem the Yamato version & not Star Blazers but maybe this will help

The breakdown is

1st TV season 26 eps

A highlight movie was made for season 1 but i've never seen it. Has some new footage but from what i've gathered isn't essential

The movie Farewell Yamato/Arivaderchi Yamato comes next

The 2nd tv season is a remake of this movie with a slightly changed plot. They ended up making this because 

ppl were surprisingly not happy that the crew gets killed off in the ending of Farewell Yamato and they wanted to continue the series

I've only seen the movie version myself

After that the order is pretty striaght forward

Yamato New Voyage (movie)

Be Forever Yamato (movie)

Yamato TV Season 3 (i've never seen)

Final Yamato (movie)

Yamato Resurection (recent movie. I have this but haven't watched it yet. I should prob do that this weekend actually :) )

Yamato 2199 (recent TV series, re-make of the 1st season, haven't seen yet, kinda don't want to)

There's also a Space Battleship Yamato live action movie which fucking kicked 9 million billion zillion kinds of ass so i'd say watch that too. 

Th remake of 1st Yamato is surprisingly good as it its handled by actual hardcore Yamato fans like Nobuteru Yuuki and the like. Its pretty faithful and it still has all those parts of Symphonic Suite Yamato we all love.

James

Its pretty faithful and it still has all those parts of Symphonic Suite Yamato we all love.

I think that's partially why I have no interest, to me they got it rite the 1st time so I just can't see the need behind a remake....

• 3 weeks later...

After rewatching GaoGaiGar FINAL for like the eleventy billionth time, it dawned on me that the original GaoGaiGar is almost 20 years old no. I feel very old. But dammit, if there was ever a time for Studio 7 to re-unite for a new GaoGaiGar project then 2017 would be ideal!

James

Started watching my Dragonball DVDs again. I had stopped at the General Blue Pirate Cave stuff. Which I think is the weakest part of the series. But I got to Mercenary Tao and it was amazing. In the comic there was this theme of these seeming scary villains attacking Goku and getting clowned. So it looks like that is going to be the case here. Then Tao kills Bora and beats Goku with ease. I think Tao is the series best villain, because there is something about his evil that was comprehensible. I say this as someone who loves all of DBZ. But at some point Frieza and Saiyans massacres were hard to comprehend. Then I got to the Red Ribbon finale and I thought the stuff with Commander Red and Officer Black was very well done. Especially when Black killed Red. Question for everyone. How would you feel about a dub fixing a continuity error created by the original. At the end of Muscle Tower, Dr.Frappe said he created Android 8. Obviously the anime did not expect Toriyama to revisit the Androids concept later. But would it have been out of line for the dub to mention Dr.Gero as the creator of 8 and Frappe as his assistant? 

After rewatching GaoGaiGar FINAL for like the eleventy billionth time, it dawned on me that the original GaoGaiGar is almost 20 years old no. I feel very old. But dammit, if there was ever a time for Studio 7 to re-unite for a new GaoGaiGar project then 2017 would be ideal!

James

My kid agrees. He can't figure out why they haven't made more. He's totally digging Slayers Next though.

Eh, I don't particularly see why, you'd think it'd be bad I mean. Eva is one of my all time least favorite anime but still, i'm open to this.

The original Nausicaa only covered like 1/4 of the actuall story so there's still a ton more material to work with and i'm sure Miyazaki or someone else from Ghibli would still have a lot involvement to make sure it doesn't go too far astray...

Well I'm all caught up on Attack On Titan and it isn't too hard to figure out who the traitor (or traitors) are. I mean I've guessed right on all the major twist at this point but glad to say I'm not upset about it. Its still a decent enough show. It really shines with the supporting cast more than anything, especially when it comes to developing Jean.

James

Anno's worked with Miyazaki and Ghibli before so it's not that much of a surprise.  And, really, outside of Eva, Anno's not bad at all.

Am I the only person that still likes Eva?  I agree with most of the criticisms, but still enjoy most of it.

I've really enjoyed the Evangelion rebuild.  Kinda bummed that the last movie won't be released (in Japan) for over a year.

Got finished with D. Grayman.  Had a lot of potential, but the show is a real disappointment.  Know their hands were tied because the manga-ka was sick and that caused it to get delayed and all.  But the show moves at a snail's pace.

Really dug D.Grayman when I watched it several years ago, but the snail's pace was definitely annoying. I think there was an entire season that was more or less filler. I've always held out hope that it might continue and finish up eventually.

Anno's worked with Miyazaki and Ghibli before so it's not that much of a surprise.  And, really, outside of Eva, Anno's not bad at all.

Am I the only person that still likes Eva?  I agree with most of the criticisms, but still enjoy most of it.

I've really enjoyed the Evangelion rebuild.  Kinda bummed that the last movie won't be released (in Japan) for over a year.

No, I still like it (except for the total cluster that the third Rebuild movie was), although I'd prefer the more 'mature' version that Banpresto did in SRW @3 along with the F-Type parts for EVA-01 (and they still should have done a cross series combo attack with Great Mazinger's Thunder Break...).  It's just that at times it seems to me that Anno's just booking on the fly, so to speak, as Eva goes on and he seems to just throw things out there and see what sticks.

So while I wasn't looking, Viz announced that they're going to release Ranma 1/2 on blu-ray in 2014.  Shut up and take my money!

I watched FMA: Sacred Star of Milos, and it was pretty good as a stand-alone movie.  I don't know how well it did in Japan, but it seems like that would be an easy way to write more stories for franchises that people love and have finished their series (see also: Trigun Badlands Rumble, which I also enjoyed tremendously).

Also along those lines, I've also been rewatching the Slayers and Ranma OVAs.  I'm kind of surprised that they didn't make more stories with Lina and Naga.  Their characters play off each other really well and the humor is right along the lines of Slayers Next.

• Like 1