DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

With the Tournament Of Power over in the anime for awhile and Toyotaro shitting the bed in the manga. I am trying to get my Dragon Ball page more active for the movie in January. I did a list of the six most powerful fighters in the tourney. I ended up not being able to choose between Goku, Vegeta and Kelfa for the four thru six slot. I decided not to count Ultra Instinct for Goku, since he could not control the transformation. I did count the Ascended Blue power for Vegeta, since he controlled it. 

1. Jiren has to be number one. It took Goku and Frieza teaming up, enduring a fight with full power Ultra Instinct Goku to eliminate him. At various points he fought Hit, Vegeta in his Ascended Super Saiyan Blue form, Golden Frieza, Kaioken Blue Goku and Goku and Vegeta at the same time. He beat Super Saiyan Berserker Kale with no effort.

Its clear none of the other fighters could touch him. Though one might have, if given a chance.

2. Anifaze was a combination of the Universe 3 robots and their creator Dr.Papironi. It was explained pretty well why he was hesitant to do this, as the doctor was going to effectively die in creating a new mindless being.

It had a good plan in just giving itself wings and blowing up the ring. It took the combined full power of Goku, Frieza, Gohan, 17 and Vegeta.

Could he have beaten Jiren, I lean toward no. But he would have had no shot vs Jiren and Toppo, speaking of.

3. Toppo showed great power from his first appearance. In the tourney no one was able to give him much trouble. Fighting Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta did not seem to give him much trouble before. Though Golden Frieza and 17 had him on the ropes. Before Toppo revealed he was in line to the next God Of Destruction. With that he decimated Frieza and 17.

Vegeta had to pull out the technique he used on Buu to simply knock him out of the ring.

Also it should not be overstated, how he kicked the ever loving crap out of Frieza.

4. Goku/Vegeta/Kelfa

Goku is not a fun pick, he is the star of the show and there is nothing to add. At Kaioken Blue he was only pushed three times in the tourney and two of those required fusions. I had considered putting Kelfa ahead of him. But even exhausted he was fighting evenly with her before Ultra Instinct Omen kicked in. Now the question is, was Kelfa fighting at full power?

The no killing rule did cause everyone to throttle their power. Kelfa still had the Berzerker SSJ form in her pocket. But that would have caused her to lose control which raised the risk of killing by accident. So I can't really say who was more powerful

Vegeta like Goku is not an exciting pick. But his power in the tourney is hard to deny. He had a ton of elimination, helping in eliminating Anifaze and eliminating Toppo.

He seemed to be in control of his Ascended Super Saiyan Blue form, unlike Goku and Ultra Instinct. He did the most damage to Jiren alone, than any other non Ultra Instinct fighter.

Beyond them, I think Frieza, Gohan and Hit are near these fighters. Gohan having a very underrated performance in the tourney. 17 I don't think was as powerful, but he was great at exploiting his powers. 

42470032_683598848679466_626117209540159

Saw the My Hero Academia: Two Heroes last night. My son tested out his Halloween costume and it went over well. The movie was a blast and it was fun to see it with a full theater of fans. 

The ending fight had was EPIC stuff that reminded me of the old classic anime from my youth. I was happy to see one more All Might goes PLUS ULTRA story, since he's been sidelined on the show for so long. He's my dude.

I'd like to see Melissa Shield show up on the show. Thought she was a fun character.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What I like about episode 1 of Goblin Slayer is that you'd think it would be some cutesy fantasy show based on those early character designs. Of course that shit goes out the window when the goblins show up and then again when Goblin Slayer makes his presence known

On the flipside, SSSS Gridman is so insanely fun!

James

• Like 1

Goblin Slayer was about what I expected based on VileOne's talk of it. I dug it though I have to say I those adventures sans the priestess totally brought that shit on themselves. I was actually kind of pissed off at them because they kind of forced the priestess into that shitty situation.

• Like 1

Yeah, its Goblin Slayer all right. Just the right amount of censorship but still brutal as fuckall.

I hear ya Eivion... those rookie adventurers still piss me off to no end even thou I expected it after reading the manga. Treated it like a field-trip.

• Like 1

The inital party of adventrueres felt like the stereotypical "Newbie D&D Playes throwing in with a sadistic DM" scenario. Nothing worse than a party of complete newbies with a DM with no chill or patience to work with them. A group of level 1s against a goblin horde was a disaster just waiting to hapen.

James

• Like 1

Yeah, the original author is a huge fan of tabletop RPG, and he infuses those ideas throughout the entire story. I especially thought the sound of the dice roll before the credits was a nice touch.

I was overall very happy with the first episode. I know some people are not happy with the scenes that were shown, but I think they handled it the right way and it wasn't too explicit. Some might call it shock value, but it gets across this isn't a happy go lucky fantasy world, and the low level mob monsters are still vicious and dangerous. 

My one real complaint for Episode 1 was they cut out the backstory scenes for the rookie adventurer party. Basically, you see these cute little romantic backstories for them as they are getting torn to shreds. It's really tragic and glorious :D

For the most part, it pretty closely hued to the source material. I hope that's consistent for the next 11 episodes. I greatly look forward to Goblin Slayer's munchkinism, rule lawyering, and cute social awkwardness.

I watched the premiere of the new Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad anime at AX. It seemed OK but I never went back to check in on it more. Will probably have to resume and give it another look. I did like the designs and animation but I was a little confused about what was going on. The first episode gave me the impression that all the characters are stuck inside some Matrix simulation or video game that's on a continuous loop.

EDIT

Some DOOM x Goblin Slayer fun:

lnv6ku79x6r11.png?width=774&s=53dd48ae2a

I'm now 4 eps in to the modernized Legend of Galactic Heroes show.  FUCK I hope it gets another season.  I remember 25 years ago, people on Fidonet and USENET talking the show up without really communicating why they loved it, and kind of filing it away for later.  Coming to it now, it feels like something that was made entirely for me; after I finish this series I'm going to have to go back and watch the original on HIDIVE even though it'll take me probably five years to get through.  I need to get my little brother the Honor Harrington fanboy in on this shit, because "politics and fleet-action space battles as an anime" might be enough to make him forsake his ministerial vows.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 7:24 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I need to get my little brother the Honor Harrington fanboy in on this shit, because "politics and fleet-action space battles as an anime" might be enough to make him forsake his ministerial vows.

I've never seen Legend of Galactic Heroes (besides random episodes), gotta give this new one a try then. For me it was Space Battleship Yamato... would love to see a series reboot of that (the movies don't do it for me).

FYI get your bro to read the short story Prey. It's right up his alley.

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

I've never seen Legend of Galactic Heroes (besides random episodes), gotta give this new one a try then. For me it was Space Battleship Yamato... would love to see a series reboot of that (the movies don't do it for me).

FYI get your bro to read the short story Prey. It's right up his alley.

Have you not seen the more recent Yamato? It's streaming on Vrv/Crunchyroll/Funimation if you're in the US, and it is literally "What if we remake this but with modern animation and storytelling standards, and more than just one woman on the crew?" 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Have you not seen the more recent Yamato? It's streaming on Vrv/Crunchyroll/Funimation if you're in the US, and it is literally "What if we remake this but with modern animation and storytelling standards, and more than just one woman on the crew?" 

Wait a sec... I thought that was just another movie! Thanks for the heads-up!

Goblin Slayer opening isn't great but it's starting to grow on me. I much prefer the music that plays while he does that cave raid in the first episode. I was hoping the opening would be really cool and badass like the S1 and S3 openings for Overlord. Instead they opted for a softer, somber opening. It almost starts out like a Bond theme or some such.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:52 PM, turk128 said:

Wait a sec... I thought that was just another movie! Thanks for the heads-up!

They started out as movies, and were later adapted to tv series. The second season is actually just the first half of the current run of sequel movies. I don't think the final one has even come out yet.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Goblin Slayer opening isn't great but it's starting to grow on me. I much prefer the music that plays while he does that cave raid in the first episode. I was hoping the opening would be really cool and badass like the S1 and S3 openings for Overlord. Instead they opted for a softer, somber opening. It almost starts out like a Bond theme or some such.

It very much reminds me of 90s intro songs... which I never really cared for  ? (Which also shows just how bias I am when they cater to my hobbies.)

Overlord is hands down amongst the best intros this generation (those outro too). One Punch Man being the other.

My favorite intro this gen has been Kogarashi Sentiment;  it came from left field, they did this for only one episode, and it was as perfect a throwback to 80s as you can get. And it was sang by the voice actors, like every character had their own intro for the season... sang by the voice actors (cept for the vampire... the voice actress refuses to sing).

Then again I think Akiyuki Shinbou is unmatched when it comes to his soundtrack selection/cultivation (let alone his artistic flare in directing).

• Like 1

Even with the warnings, I went into Goblin Slayer and had the same feeling I had when watching the first episode of Akame ga Kill, where it looks all nice and sweet and high adventure then HOLY FUCKING SHIT does it go hyperviolent and dark.  I'm in.

EDIT: I swear, if the only instance of Fairy Tail's Season 1 music is the OG theme in the "Next Week" bumper and I don't get Dragon Force when the battle climax hits I'm gonna toss something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Even with the warnings, I went into Goblin Slayer and had the same feeling I had when watching the first episode of Akame ga Kill, where it looks all nice and sweet and high adventure then HOLY FUCKING SHIT does it go hyperviolent and dark.  I'm in.

EDIT: I swear, if the only instance of Fairy Tail's Season 1 music is the OG theme in the "Next Week" bumper and I don't get Dragon Force when the battle climax hits I'm gonna toss something.

Fairy Tail usually does a good job of punching in those music themes at the right moment to get you jazzed up. 

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Fairy Tail usually does a good job of punching in those music themes at the right moment to get you jazzed up. 

It totally did in Season 1, but in Season 2 they changed animation houses and it also changed the music.  While the music did it's job over the big climatic parts of the arc's, To tell the truth, I couldn't pick the music out if you played it for me, while the big music pieces from Season 1 were standouts that I recognized immediately when played in the beginning of the episode, which is why I'm hoping for the Season 1 music and not that they just got the main theme for next episode previews.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Is BLAME! any good? 

It keeps popping up in my new FiOS On Demand recommended viewing queue.

BLAME! is as close a coherent adapt of the uber gothic noire psychedelic trip that was the manga. It's entertaining and isn't bad.

Check out Knights of Sidonia if Blame gets you into a scifi mood.

• Like 1

Crunchyroll/VRV and FUNimation will be dissolving their partnership effective 11/9.  That means all FUNi-owned content that wasn't part of the period where they were co-buying licenses will disappear, and the dubbed stuff that they co-own will.  Vrv will be adding HIDIVE at that time.  So if you had something you wanted to watch, get on it.