DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I recall liking Broly, or at least the idea of him. With Toriyama actually writing him this time around I expect something a decent bit better than what we got years ago.

ck! I LOATHE Broly and the fact he was in 3 movies already irks me no end. Heck I hate most of the SS Era DBZ films (though 3 Great Super Saiyajins is my guilty pleasure). I'd almost rather they bring bck a souped Topaipai than another go round with Broly

James

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

ck! I LOATHE Broly and the fact he was in 3 movies already irks me no end. Heck I hate most of the SS Era DBZ films (though 3 Great Super Saiyajins is my guilty pleasure). I'd almost rather they bring bck a souped Topaipai than another go round with Broly

James

Consider this. This will have no connection to those past movies and be a reboot of the character written by Toriyama himself.

I can't imagine they'll change him that much unless they do this movie and they retell the movie when SUPER starts up again for TV. I mean if they give Broly an actual character/personality then I'll change my mind. Fuck it, I'm just going to re-watch the Dr. Willow movie as it is easily my fave!

James

On 7/11/2018 at 6:30 AM, John Austin said:

So it looks like Broly is going to be put into DB canon starting with the Super movie coming out in December.  Not sure how to feel about it yet.  

Is this movie actually going to be canon though? Look what happened with the last two movies.

What movies did Super retell?  I've seen a few of the films, but couldn't tell you which ones or what the plot was.  My memory of the DBZ movies is very hazy (been a while, and none of the movies really held my attention).

On 7/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, J.H. said:

I can't imagine they'll change him that much unless they do this movie and they retell the movie when SUPER starts up again for TV. I mean if they give Broly an actual character/personality then I'll change my mind. Fuck it, I'm just going to re-watch the Dr. Willow movie as it is easily my fave!

James

That has been a misconception of Broly by both the part of the fanbase that irrationally hates him and irrationally loves him.

My guess is Toriyama saw potential in the parts of the movie that showed glimpses of Saiyan Culture. The revenge story of Paragus and of someone who epitomizes the violent nature of Saiyans. 

13 minutes ago, Player One said:

What movies did Super retell?  I've seen a few of the films, but couldn't tell you which ones or what the plot was.

Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F, the two new movies. Toriyama wanted to do it for the younger audience that did not see the movies in theaters. But he ended up unhappy with how it turned out. I don't know why they did not split the movies into episodes. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 8:26 AM, Eivion said:

What if said movie is really good? Will that bother you then?

I mean I thought Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were really good. And it did bother me they basically tossed them both in the trash and rebooted them for Super. 

I guess a part of me is surprised that Toriyama even likes Broly and is willing to write a story about him.

If you need a Dragon Ball fix,  there's these shorts promoting some card game that's pretty cool,  probably not in canon,  has Future Trunks,  Mai, a new saiyan and the return of Cooler, and another Goku who can go SSJ4. Its good,  but mainly a plug for the card game and leaves you hanging. Only 2 episodes and they're not doing another one until September. 

On 7/17/2018 at 2:42 AM, TheVileOne said:

I mean I thought Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were really good. And it did bother me they basically tossed them both in the trash and rebooted them for Super. 

I guess a part of me is surprised that Toriyama even likes Broly and is willing to write a story about him.

He had not seen the movie since 93. His editor advised he use Broly and he went and watched the movie and saw potential. 

My guess with the plot is that Paragus has created a new army and has taken over a lot of the space that belonged to Freeza. Freeza being revived goes to reclaim it and encounters Broly and gets his ass kicked. Badly enough he seeks out Goku and Vegeta for help. 

That is my guess anyway. 

15 hours ago, John Austin said:

If you need a Dragon Ball fix,  there's these shorts promoting some card game that's pretty cool,  probably not in canon,  has Future Trunks,  Mai, a new saiyan and the return of Cooler, and another Goku who can go SSJ4. Its good,  but mainly a plug for the card game and leaves you hanging. Only 2 episodes and they're not doing another one until September. 

I loved seeing Golden Cooler, my favorite of the old movie villains. 

Goku, Vegeta, & Freiza all against Broly.  And from the trailer Broly's hanging with SSB Goku without going SSJ.  So we're gonna get a finish of Ascended SSB Vegeta/Ultra Instinct Goku vs. SSJ Broly...

Ok, I'm in.

• Like 2

So it was announced that the fourth Rebuild of Eva movie won't come out until 2020.  At this point, does anyone even care about it?  Hell, I'll probably have to rewatch the third one since it's been 6+ years since it came out if I go to see the fourth one.

The line-up for Fathom Event's Studio Ghibli Fest 2018

Mononoke Hime runs on July 22, 23, and 25.

Also:

Sailor Moon, the beloved Guardian of Love and Justice, returns to the big screen for a special theatrical event!

Following an encore presentation of the first movie (SAILOR MOON R- THE MOVIE), the Sailor Guardians unite once more to battle their chilliest adversary yet (SAILOR MOON S- THE MOVIE).

The second week of showings will feature the classic anime's third movie (SAILOR MOON SUPERS- THE MOVIE) along with never-before seen in theaters short, "Ami's First Love." All features are presented uncut and true to the original Japanese version, with English dubbed and subtitled showings available.  (July 28, July 30th, August 4, August 6)

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best-worst sport or game to base an anime after that will be utterly stupid but still have dramatic, lavishly-animated special moves?  I'm leaning toward air hockey for individual competition, and goalball (which has a terrible name but was fun as hell the two times I played it at blind school) for team.