DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I saw there was like one show about horse girls that seems to be getting quite a bit of buzz...watched some footage...

There's definitely a lot of weirdness in anime/manga/etc I can accept and enjoy. But like a school for horse girls (Like Catgirl but Horse) is where I have to draw the line.

RlMy5mL.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-15/gundam-00-anime-gets-sequel-project/.130390

But good news everyone, Gundam 00 is getting some sort of animated sequel project. And Seiju Mizushima is gonna work on it! I'm not sure what it's going to be considering the movie pretty much gave everything a closed ending, but whatevs. Gundam 00 was one of the better AU Gundam shows, so I'm fine with a follow-up.

I'm interested or maybe curious is a better word. Honestly, I would be more interested in seeing a prequel or maybe the other Celestial Being team that was doing shit at the same time the main one was.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'd rather if they did  a sequel Gundam project we got a movie for Gundam X but I'm weird that way

James

X felt complete even if rushed at the end. I'd rather they redo F91 or gave us a Crossbone Gundam anime.

• Like 2

So the Gundam announcement is basically UC 1.5, and they've "teased" a Hathaway's Flash film trilogy and UC2...

I have a feeling people are going to eventually tire of UC.  And I'll actually believe Hathaway's Flash when it comes out.  Otherwise I'll just stick it in with the SEED movie...

• Like 1

Also, in case anyone missed it... Season 1 of Kamen Rider AMAZONZ is up on Amazon Prime US/Canada (as Amazon Riders). If you didn't watch it when it was originally getting fansubbed go watch it now!

James

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So the Gundam announcement is basically UC 1.5, and they've "teased" a Hathaway's Flash film trilogy and UC2...

I have a feeling people are going to eventually tire of UC.  And I'll actually believe Hathaway's Flash when it comes out.  Otherwise I'll just stick it in with the SEED movie...

I'm ok with this. I never read any Gundam novel, but I know some of the ending to Hathaway's Flash. The vindictive bastard in me is kind of happy it will be animated if only for that. Really though this gives me a strange hope that they might actually eventually remake F91 and give us Crossbone Gundam. It might take 20 or more years, but I'm ok with UC as long as its moving away from the One Year War and closer towards the post Zeon timeframe of UC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm ok with this. I never read any Gundam novel, but I know some of the ending to Hathaway's Flash. The vindictive bastard in me is kind of happy it will be animated if only for that. Really though this gives me a strange hope that they might actually eventually remake F91 and give us Crossbone Gundam. It might take 20 or more years, but I'm ok with UC as long as its moving away from the One Year War and closer towards the post Zeon timeframe of UC.

Chan fan then?  (I'd rather have Beltorchika than Chan, though...)

There seems to be signals now and then that Crossbone will eventually get animated (even though there appears a growing group of fandom that say that Crossbone isn't as good as the impression that most people get from seeing it in video games).  Frankly, I'd like to see the more obscure stories get animated, like Double Fake, F90 or Silhouette Formula.

I started watching Aggretsuko on Netflix last night.  Made by Sanrio, it's about an anthropomorphic red panda who copes with her soul crushing office job by singing death metal karaoke in her spare time.  Pretty funny show but there's a lot about Retsuko's life that rings true about real life.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Chan fan then?  (I'd rather have Beltorchika than Chan, though...)

There seems to be signals now and then that Crossbone will eventually get animated (even though there appears a growing group of fandom that say that Crossbone isn't as good as the impression that most people get from seeing it in video games).  Frankly, I'd like to see the more obscure stories get animated, like Double Fake, F90 or Silhouette Formula.

I'm pretty indifferent from Beltorchika. The anime version didn't leave a strong impression on me, and I never read the novels. Not so much a Chan fan so much as I hated Hathaway just being a general dumbass.

I don't recall Crossbone being amazing or anything, but I do recall it being rather solid. Beyond that, the Crossbone design is just something I love and want to see animated. I also like the general premise. It was also neat getting a ZZ connection. I think Crossbone and a few of stories connected to it is all I have actually read of Gundam. Its otherwise just been anime for me. I've heard of the three you mentioned at he end. How are they, and what are they about?

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

How are they, and what are they about?

I've actually never read them, although I know what they're all about and think the plots are interesting.  (To be honest, the only scanlations I sort of regularly read right now are New Game! and Hakumei And Mikochi.)

Double Fake is a precursor to CCA and involves a decoy Neo Zeon front set up by Char to fake out the Feds.

F90 is a precursor to F91 where the SNRI is testing the F90 prototype and run into a group calling themselves the Oldsmobile Army and piloting suits resembling OYW stuff.

Silhouette Formula is another precursor to F91 which involves Anaheim Electronics trying to keep up with the SNRI, stealing blueprints from them and creating their own F91 variant.

• Like 1

I actually have heard of F90's premise before. It sounded pretty darn interesting then. I mean just the idea of the large ass old suits vs. new suits was enough to garner my interest. I wish had looked up more about it then. Might have to now. Silhouette Formula sounds potentially interesting as well.

Hakumei to Mikochi is a fantastic series! Like it's probably going to go down as one of my favorites of all time. It's kinda like the anime version of The Littles... except in a world where humans don't exist. The world building is wonderfully rich; how they handle transportation, food, housing... its all so believable. There's a lil bit of My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke there.

It's probably amongst the finest example of the slice of life genre.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, FireThunder said:

I started watching Aggretsuko on Netflix last night.  Made by Sanrio, it's about an anthropomorphic red panda who copes with her soul crushing office job by singing death metal karaoke in her spare time.  Pretty funny show but there's a lot about Retsuko's life that rings true about real life.

I thankfully haven't had a horrible boss like that, but the other stuff rings very true.  My wife got me into it and we both fell in love with the show.  It's very funny and we highly recommend it.

• Like 1

Ask yourself this:

Do you know the story of Devilman? Then ask yourself if you want to see it with Go Nagai designs taken outandvery generic Bihonen character designs n their place with some really chap animation. Stick the old OVA s from the 90s. Even if they never finished the story they look and feel like Devilman, hell CB World of Go Nagai's Devilman feels more like Devilman. Now my worst fear is they follow this with Violence Jack crybaby

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Ask yourself this:

Do you know the story of Devilman? Then ask yourself if you want to see it with Go Nagai designs taken outandvery generic Bihonen character designs n their place with some really chap animation. Stick the old OVA s from the 90s. Even if they never finished the story they look and feel like Devilman, hell CB World of Go Nagai's Devilman feels more like Devilman. Now my worst fear is they follow this with Violence Jack crybaby

James

I much preferred the animation and art style for the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman OVAs. 

Also, Aggretsuko is a very cute show. Fenneko is my favorite character. It's like Zootopia as a slice of life anime series.