DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

23 minutes ago, Victator said:
  Hide contents

Freeza being alive is a pretty big nail in the coffin of GT.

Spoiler

Right, I forgot about the trip to Hell and Piccolo being able to take out Freiza.

It is both awesome and sad to watch Lain in the present day and notice how things have finally caught up with the series that absolutely blew me away close to twenty years ago.

That's how far ahead of its time that SE: Lain was in terms of hypothesizing about everything from quantum computing to nanotechnology to virtual reality and even the ethics of cyberspace.

The end titles creep me out more than they did when I was in college, because I am pushing 50 and she is still a naked 14 year old girl floating in the ether of the Wired..

I'll be off for most of the Easter weekend, but I have to drag my ass back into work by Midnight on Sunday, so that's when I'll start watching Key The Metal Idol.

My AOTS: Yurucamp (with nods to Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho & Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

Best Girl: Shirase

Best Boy: Kondo

Best OP: Yurucamp

Best Anime I Didn’t Watch: Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

So for people that read Grancrest (ie TheVileOne) do they ever explain why Marrine didn't go through with the marriage post wedding assassination? I could understand if it was just her own father murdered, but it was her fiance's father as well who died. It just seems like she ended up pushing an unnecessary war for no real sensible reason.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

So for people that read Grancrest (ie TheVileOne) do they ever explain why Marrine didn't go through with the marriage post wedding assassination? I could understand if it was just her own father murdered, but it was her fiance's father as well who died. It just seems like she ended up pushing an unnecessary war for no real sensible reason.

Based on my reading of the manga, Marrine's marriage was a political one between two powerful houses from a situation that was already tenuous. The world of Grancrest already has these various factions fighting each other to gain ground of the continent, Marrine and her fiancee's house are the two most powerful ones in the continent. The hope is that a child of such a union would inherit the Crest power from both parents and create the Grand Crest. And the Grand Crest would be powerful enough to defeat all the Chaos/Calamity monsters and create a long-lasting peace.

However, after the death of their fathers, I guess it's a situation of all bets are off now, and it's back to fighting each other. The death of their fathers, the Archdukes, sparked a war between the two houses. The nobles of the houses probably see the other as responsible for what happened, so they've forced the children to go to war with each other. Marrine is going along with the war in order to "honor her father's memory" or some such malarkey. 

As is often the case, war is never sensible. 

12 hours ago, J.H. said:

The first episode of Souten No Ken REGENESIS is better than all of the of the previous Souten No Ken TV series!

James

Thanks for the heads-up, totally didn't know this was coming.

It's as if Platinum had made an anime.

and so ends OVERLORD II but fear not!

OVERLORD III arrives in July, in which Ains must fight Richard Pryor who has built a Supercomputer... no wait, tht's Superman II... still I'm really happy we get more OVERLORD. Now if you'll excuse me its off to watch the new LotGH

James

Very conflicted about my enjoyment of Overlord. I mean I like it. As far as isekai stories go, it's well done. But it's hard to like Ainz/Momonga and his having such an emotional disconnect with his actions. I get that's part of evolving story, but there hasn't been much headway there. 

What I did like about season 2 though is that all the world building stories and all the stories of the peripheral characters seemed even more interesting than what was going on with Momonga. I do feel bad for Climb though. 

It makes me hope we will get Skeleton Knight in Another World into an anime at some point.  Basically, the same story. It reads like they could be virtual shared  universe or spin-off to Overlord. However, instead of Momonga, the story revolves around a character who has an attitude much more like Momonga's guildmate, Touch Me. I like this story because it sort of relates more to how I play fantasy RPGs. Like instead of butchering NPCs or trying to take over the world, the main character's main flaw is just hoarding loot and treasure. 

I'm glad I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is getting an anime. It's fairly derivative as far as those isekai stories go, but the writer at least has a lot of fun with the main character dealing with life as a slime.

Yeah, OverLord season 2 was glorious. Overall, I'm really loving all the great adaptations of various isekai stories (yes, even Death March, the source material on that was flawed as fuck).

On 4/4/2018 at 1:59 AM, TheVileOne said:

It makes me hope we will get Skeleton Knight in Another World into an anime at some point.  Basically, the same story. It reads like they could be virtual shared  universe or spin-off to Overlord.

Skeleton Knight in Another World seems really not that deep so far (from reading the manga). It's fun for sure thou (besides the slow updates).

There are some wonderful isekai out there that deserves an adapt:

• So I'm a Spider, So What? I'm still amazed it hasn't gotten picked up, it has all the makings of a great anime and is a different approach to isekai.  It's also incredibly cute.
  • With the success of Isekai Shokudou, I'm just waiting for them to pick up Alternate World Bar ‘Nobu’.

Isekais that should never ever get picked up: Re:Monster and 99% of all the isekai manhua out there (unless you want the majority of the time spent 'cultivating'  and blatant Gary Stu with cringey attiudes). Seriously, they are straight up trash. GOSU is a manhwa that does martial arts better than all those manhua combined.

Overall thou, I would rather watch anime  isekai, at the very least they are fairly diverse.

Isao Takahata has passed away. He gave us the sobfest of Grave of the Fireflies but then made something as joyous as Princess Kaguya.

Such a brilliant director, I will miss his creativeness greatly

James

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, turk128 said:

Yeah, OverLord season 2 was glorious. Overall, I'm really loving all the great adaptations of various isekai stories (yes, even Death March, the source material on that was flawed as fuck).

Skeleton Knight in Another World seems really not that deep so far (from reading the manga). It's fun for sure thou (besides the slow updates).

There are some wonderful isekai out there that deserves an adapt:

• So I'm a Spider, So What? I'm still amazed it hasn't gotten picked up, it has all the makings of a great anime and is a different approach to isekai.  It's also incredibly cute.
  • With the success of Isekai Shokudou, I'm just waiting for them to pick up Alternate World Bar ‘Nobu’.

Isekais that should never ever get picked up: Re:Monster and 99% of all the isekai manhua out there (unless you want the majority of the time spent 'cultivating'  and blatant Gary Stu with cringey attiudes). Seriously, they are straight up trash. GOSU is a manhwa that does martial arts better than all those manhua combined.

Overall thou, I would rather watch anime  isekai, at the very least they are fairly diverse.

There's literally an isekai where some teen gets reincarnated as a hot spring in a fantasy world. If you think isekai never gets weird or bizarre enough. That's how deep and weird this genre goes. 

We've come a long way from light novels about child soldiers having fun high school high jinx and harem rom coms. 

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Isao Takahata has passed away. He gave us the sobfest of Grave of the Fireflies but then made something as joyous as Princess Kaguya.

NPR gave him a twenty minute retrospective / obituary piece on the news. 

RIP.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Takahata made one of my favourite movies I've ever seen: Omohide poro poro. Such a beautiful story of childhood and adolescence. 

Such a great movie.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I cannot watch Grave of the Fireflies without crying.  I don't think anyone can.

I've watched it twice in my life, and it just wrecked me both times.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I cannot watch Grave of the Fireflies without crying.  I don't think anyone can.

As a Chinese American, I refuse to watch it because I don't feel any kind of sympathy towards what happened to the Japanese during WW2.