DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

23 hours ago, Victator said:

You know it says something for how stubborn Freeza is. That he keeps trying to get revived, since it only leads to him getting the ever loving shit beat out of him. I think I might welcome a comfy cocoon and flower garden. 

I guess that makes Frieza insane :) 

Overlord II is so damn good so far, I mean hear I thought I'd be all about Aims preparing for war to conquer and instead I get this amazing story about the survival of the the Lizard Men. This is some really good storytelling

James

On 1/28/2018 at 11:49 PM, TheVileOne said:

I guess that makes Frieza insane :) 

The thing is he keeps trying something different. First he goes to Earth with his dad thinking Namek was a fluke. Not unreasonable considering it took a lot to beat him. Resurrection F he decides to train for the first time ever and goes all out, only to have his stamina give out. This time he has tried using strategy and did well, until he pissed off a God Destruction candidate. 

It looks like there is a very good chance my favorite light novel and manga series is about to get an anime produced announced soon. They already did a drama CD. This is the next step. Whatever happens, please just give it to a good studio who isn't going to half-ass it. It could be like Dark Souls in anime form.

goblin_slayer_by_jazzjack_kht-dbdtkfh.jp

a5ZYZVO_700b.jpg

Diving into anime much more than I have at any time over the past 15 years.  Ordered quite a few series, went through my piles to see what i own but have never watched (quite a bit, as it turns out), and have been digging through review sites adding new-ish shows that look interesting.

Finished up Gantz last night.  It was.... interesting.  I picked it up in 2004-ish when it was first released in the US but never watched it.  It was pretty controversial back then, but seems less so now after shows like Elfen Lied have come along.  I didn't mind the over-the-top violence and gore as it relates to the main story but there a large amount of nastiness that just adds nothing to the story.  The throwaway gag with the dog who would always greet a female character by running up to her and burying his face in her crotch was offensive (she just happened to not be wearing pants every time she saw the dog).  The main character is self-absorbed nearly to the point of being sociopathic.  The few good characters tended to do things that undercut their good intentions (ex: Kato is opposed to shooting the aliens with guns, but not to whomping them senseless with his fists and bear-hugging them to death.  That's a kinda inconsistent moral code there).  Gantz looked good and was good at establishing characters, but the pace is sluggish (more time to rip guts out!) and is just nasty and unpleasant.

I will be watching the CGI Netflix film, though.  The animation looks great.

Anyone want to recommend any newish (past few years) shows?  Generally, I like mech shows and action-dramas like Ghost in the Shell, Monster, 91 Days, etc.  Tend to dislike fighting shows like Inuyasha, Bleach. Yu Yu Hakushou, and avoid any time of anime comedy like the plague.  Generally not going to make it through most shows that rely to heavily on comedy, googly faces, or harem/fan service, stuff.  Shows I've liked include Rahxephon, Future Diaries, 91 Days, Witchhunter Robin, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Baccano, Duradura, Gurren Lagann, Garden of Words, etc. 

Also need to figure out where to watch some of the new-ish shows I've recently added to my list, shows that aren't available on DVD.  I've heard of Crunchyroll but never used the site.  Subscription site?  What else is there?  I'm familiar with fansubbing, but it's been so long I'm not sure where to even look and really would prefer to order DVDs as much as possible.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Hat tip to @dogwelder for pointing out that the new Mazinger movie is getting a Fathom Events screening on Feb 11 (and in some venues the 12th).  Unfortunately, the theatre near me that runs most Fathom shit isn't running this one, only a theatre that is 2 hours and 15 minutes by Metro on Sunday schedule.  But it's cool that it's happening.

Bumping Cliff's post since this event is going down this weekend.

I might have to see if we can merge the Toku thread with the main anime thread because I really want to talk about Kamen Rider BUILD without having dredge up the main thread for toku. That being said, if 'you all aren't watching BUILD, now is the perfect time to catch up becauethis is shaping up to be a GOAT Rider series!

James

7 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Ugh...

Recovery of an MMO Junkie Director Causes Controversy With Anti-Semitic Tweets

And I really liked the series too.  Well, guess I'll be avoiding anything the guy works on in the future.

That is incredibly disappointing. Hopefully it has another director if it ever gets another season though somehow I doubt it since this doesn't seem like the type of thing that would anger Japanese fans.

7 hours ago, Black Angel said:

Super 127 is pretty damn good. I won't spoil everything that happens but:

Reveal hidden contents

Jiren is Toguro.

You know if U7 was less honorable 

Spoiler

You would try to make it look like Jiren killed 17. 

Also seeing Freeza flip out on the Pride Troopers. He is dropping the gentlemanly facade finally. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

You know if U7 was less honorable 

Reveal hidden contents

You would try to make it look like Jiren killed 17. 

Also seeing Freeza flip out on the Pride Troopers. He is dropping the gentlemanly facade finally. 

I had that thought too. I knew that once Freeza started getting his face kicked in that he'd drop the friendly shit. It's about time too.

• Thanks 1

I made it to the Mazingar / Fathom Events dealie on Sunday at the Egyptian in Hanover, MD. 

Perfect shit weather for an afternoon at the cinema and it helped that the movie itself was fucking great and the 100 minute runtime will not try your patience.