DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 12:04 AM, J.H. said:

At this point I think I've watched and re-watched Bebop more han any other anime, even Gatchaman!

Yeah, my most rewatched anime are Gatchaman, Cowboy Bebop, Last Exile, and GitS SAC.

Last Exile.. .there's a show I totally forgot about!
I've rewatched Bebop, Gatchaman, GaoGaiGar (including FINAL) and Hokuto No Ken more than anything... after that is probably Slayers and GitS

James

I'm highly amused that Brian Drummond, the original English dub actor for Vegeta who also continued dubbing for the show outside the US, voiced the fake clone Vegeta on DB Super.  

Less amused by Gotenks even at SSJ Level 3 being a total chump.  Would Vegeta at least consider buckling down on his son and train him like hell?  I though Trunks and Goten going Super Saiyan as pre-teens was supposed to mean they are hellish strong and could easily overtake their dads later on.  They both became Super Saiyans with basically next to no effort. 

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Less amused by Gotenks even at SSJ Level 3 being a total chump.  Would Vegeta at least consider buckling down on his son and train him like hell?  I though Trunks and Goten going Super Saiyan as pre-teens was supposed to mean they are hellish strong and could easily overtake their dads later on.  They both became Super Saiyans with basically next to no effort. 

To go along with this thought, I figured they would've played more a part in fighting with Frieza, I mean they were being trained to fight Buu, but were told to stay away from Frieza? Didn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

Recurring theme of DBZ is that the half-Sayian kids gain strength and power faster, but plateau since they don't have the same drive to train that the full bloods do, so unless the kids keep the work up (which they don't), Goku and Vegeta will blow past them since they get stronger in a straight line, as opposed to the big jumps then flat's/drops the kids do.  That's why Gohan, when he went Mystic, was equal to Skinny Buu, but was barely keeping up with Piccolo right before the first 6 vs 7 fight for the Super Balls.  Vegeta and Goku are way more focused on getting themselves powered up to ride the kids hard enough so that Goten and Trunks aren't chumps (hell, this goes back to Z when Piccolo started training them for Buu and Trunks wasn't used to being pushed like that.  Vegeta's just not pushing him)

Yeah, I anaylized Dragon Ball Super wayyyyy too much there.

• Haha 2

Since we're all going over our most-rewatched shows, mine is probably either OG Macross or BGC2040 for stuff I actually put on.  I've seen Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, and Stand-Alone Complex more just because they were all on endless repeat on Adult Swim for at least a year each when I was staying up late playing MMOs in college and grad school, but I didn't seek them out (aside from Bebop, which I still remember pre-ordering the last 2 DVDs at Gamestop) or devote my full attention every time they were on.  

The watching of the Winter season continues...

Junji Ito Collection Episode 1 was exactly what expected it to be. Sadly  don't think they are animating any of the Tomie stories for this.

Kokkoku's first episode has me hooked more than anything else right now though!

I'm skipping Citrus and and Mitsubishi Colors

Also, the less I say about Devilman ~crybaby~ the better. I mean I'd rater they animated Devilman Grimoire

James

I'm pretty sure Slayers Next is my most rewatched series.  The humor and intrigue holds up to repeated viewings and Xellos is one of my favorite characters in all of anime, the physical representation of the GM's plot sledgehammer.

The first three seasons & OVAs of Ranma 1/2 would be up there, if I'm allowed to cheat like that.  :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Recurring theme of DBZ is that the half-Sayian kids gain strength and power faster, but plateau since they don't have the same drive to train that the full bloods do, so unless the kids keep the work up (which they don't), Goku and Vegeta will blow past them since they get stronger in a straight line, as opposed to the big jumps then flat's/drops the kids do.  That's why Gohan, when he went Mystic, was equal to Skinny Buu, but was barely keeping up with Piccolo right before the first 6 vs 7 fight for the Super Balls.  Vegeta and Goku are way more focused on getting themselves powered up to ride the kids hard enough so that Goten and Trunks aren't chumps (hell, this goes back to Z when Piccolo started training them for Buu and Trunks wasn't used to being pushed like that.  Vegeta's just not pushing him)

Yeah, I anaylized Dragon Ball Super wayyyyy too much there.

Is Vegeta too focused on his own training that he doesn't care that his own son is a disgrace to Saiyan warrior pride?

Think part of Vegeta's problem is that knowing Future Trunks gains motivation, that he's not worried.  He doesn't realize that current Trunks won't grow up the same as Future Trunks since Future Trunks is now from a different timeline.

If you will remember, Vegeta knocked out Trunks and Goten to keep them away from Buu. It was Goku and Piccolo who trained them to fuse.  He also forbid them from entering either tourney. 

I don't think he cares what Trunks does in regards to fighting. He seems like a good normal dad for an alien warlord. 

Vegeta has gone soft as a Dad.  And not just soft, but s-a-w-f-t. 

It totally flew under my radar last month but the awesome Arifureta is getting an anime adaptation and White Fox is doing the production.  The same studio as Re:Zero and The Devil is a Part-Timer.  So at the very least, the animation should look awesome.  Debuts in April. 

I completly forgot about Machinma's Transformers webseries running on go90 until I saw at Tweet that Samoa Joe's cast in Season 3 as Prediking..  Season 1 was quick and season 2 was 10, 10 minute episodes.  It's in the IDW continuity and Prime is badass and Megatron is such a glorious prick, the series is fun.  Plus they got a ton of big voice actors to do season 2, and they're making Season 3.

11 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I completly forgot about Machinma's Transformers webseries running on go90 until I saw at Tweet that Samoa Joe's cast in Season 3 as Prediking..  Season 1 was quick and season 2 was 10, 10 minute episodes.  It's in the IDW continuity and Prime is badass and Megatron is such a glorious prick, the series is fun.  Plus they got a ton of big voice actors to do season 2, and they're making Season 3.

Yeah I saw Ron Perlman and Mark Hamill will be in season 3 too.  It's OK as a digital series.  The show is a little too slow moving for my tastes.  It seems they at least had a quicker turnaround for the final season, considering that Combiner Wars debuted when the Hasbro toys had already transitioned to Titans Return.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, Victator said:

If you will remember, Vegeta knocked out Trunks and Goten to keep them away from Buu. It was Goku and Piccolo who trained them to fuse.  He also forbid them from entering either tourney. 

I don't think he cares what Trunks does in regards to fighting. He seems like a good normal dad for an alien warlord. 

Ironically, Vegeta's probably a better dad than airhead absentee dad Goku.

Watching Ajin.  Only about 9 episodes in, but so far it's got me hooked.  I had low expectations, but I'm fairly enjoying it.  It does seem a little too derivative of Tokyo Ghoul and a host of other shows.  I'm wondering if my ultimate opinion won't be "Blander version of Tokyo Ghoul."  Actually, I'll probably rewatch Tokyo Ghoul after this.  I marathoned TG over a couple days when I was down with a bad case of the flu, and I don't remember it well enough to have a reliable opinion.

9 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Ironically, Vegeta's probably a better dad than airhead absentee dad Goku.

Well, Goku did realize that he wouldn't be able to train Gohan properly so he got Piccolo to do it, but there's no excuse for Goten.  I'm pretty sure the only way Goten gets any training is from hanging with Trunks. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff with Vegeta training Trunks, but he realizes Trunks' human side lacks motivation and adjusts accordingly.  He's a whole different person to Future Trunks, who has the motivation because of his timeline so Vegeta goes full speed at him.

Hakyu Hoshin Engi's first episode is nice I liked the original Hoshin Engi series just fine but parts of the manga were glossed over (and parts changed). Well they did the same thing with episode 1 of the first series (skipping Taikobo's fight with Dakki's sister). Still nice animation and a pretty energetic opening song made for a pleasant episode.

Have to rewatch Hakata Tonkatsu No Ramen episode 1 again because I fell asleep while watching (I was tired as fuck after 4 nights of not sleeping well).

Toji no Miko Episode 2 wa slower paced than episode 1 as they try to establish characer motivation. That's fine, interested to see where the it goes.

James

Finished Ajin thanks to the crappy weather.  Fairly enjoyed it, but it's overly violent.  KInda reminds me of Gantz in that respect.  Still, they do the "reluctant teenage hero" thing with the lead character better than most animes and the villain is rather interesting. And the violence is reasonably done in that it revolves around military tactics and conventional weapons.  Until the very end, the "black ghosts" are used more sparingly than you'd expect.  

I've heard a lot of complaints about the cgi animation but it didn't bother me any.

• Like 1

I feel like Vegeta's attachment to Cabba is based on Cabba reminding him of Tarble. But I feel like they are never going to reference the 08 movie. Beyond Bulma mentioning Tarble in Battle Of Gods.

Loved the last two episodes. I suppose Gohan is going down next, but I hope he at least goes out in a big way.