DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

OK, while I was definitely annoyed with Black Clover starting a mini-filler arc so quickly, it did at least offer some character building for Yuno and his teammates. So the transition for his snobby CO I guess is a bit more developed.  But again, I wasn't really feeling any of the complaints for the show until about the episode 12-13 mark.  

Also Yuno's priest is a cheapskate. Buy your orphans some real freaking food other than potatoes. Don't tell me they don't have a market in town or something.  Get them some fruit and vegetables.  Your Magic Knight kids are sending you money for this very reason. Ye gods. 

Watching a little Lupin III Part 4 on VRV tonight; I had it dubbed because I'm moving around the apartment a lot and can't really watch something subbed.  I'm honestly surprised that Funimation were willing to shell out for the Pioneer/Adult Swim cast; I remember hating Tony Oliver as Lupin in the first several episodes but feeling like he grew into the role pretty well by the end.  And Richard Epcar and Michelle Ruff were pretty great as Jigen and Fujiko from even earlier on.

• Like 2

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere eventually lost me for its generally incoherent plot and overall weirdness.  On season 2 of Medaka Box, and it's getting really close to the same.  The people who think Rey in Star Wars is a Mary Sue would probably have their minds blown by their show.  Not that I think either girl is a Mary Sue.  I will say I generally find Medaka pulling some new ability out of her rear every episode to be rather humorous. 

For whoever is looking for an oldschool show, the original Fist of the North TV series is worth checking out.  

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

For whoever is looking for an oldschool show, the original Fist of the North TV series is worth checking out.  

and all of Hokuto No Ken is on Hulu. That includes HnK and HnK 2 (though HnK 2... well isn't very good)

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Amazon shut down Anime Strike after a year, and they've moved all of their anime offerings to regular Prime Video.

Yeah having a separate anime subscription that wasn't part of Amazon Prime was flipping stupid.  It'd be sort of like Netflix having a separate anime tier for its exclusive anime content, of which it has quite a bit.

I was wondering if Strike was dead. I'm kind of happy to hear that. It was always a moronic move even if they had the money to burn. It does explains now why Sentai announced everything they had this season for HIDive.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's no easy way to search for that sort of thing on Prime. What do they have on there worth seeing?

Yeah, the easiest way would be to look for the TV Genres section and choose Animation on the main Prime Video screen.

Stuff from this past year: Made In Abyss, Inuyashiki, Re:Creators, Girls' Last Tour, Altair: A Record of Battles

Well the Winter Season has started and I'm being selective about what I watch (I don't have te time to try and watch everything) this being said, I want to like Gran Crest Senki but its a case of I like the story but the animation s kinda meh. I keep at it for at least 3 more episodesthough

Jamesi

Yeah, there was a certain lack of gravitas given how the show opened. I'm willing to give anything by Mizuno a shot though. Bt he characer designs and animatio nshould be better, it just looks... generic?

James

See I liked Toji No Miko better than Gran Crest mainly because I want to see where it goes (decent character designs for the shw it is, I think Gran Crest disappointed me because I was expecting at least high production value BUT not everything by Mizuno gets a Lodoss level budget and this isn't the 90s OVA market). But, these are first episodes and I'm willing ot see both unfold

I'm about to watch Slow Start now, I'm hoping it has the same vibe as Hyakko, which I felt was really underrated because to many people crapped on it as a Azumanga Daioh clone (which, I get but the characters were very different).

James

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Always thought Hyakko was fun. Never really thought of it as an Azumanga Daioh clone, but I also haven't seen either in years.

See neither did I but when it first came out that's what most sites were calling it. To bad the manga has been hiatus for 5 years, the odds of more anime are pretty much zero if the creator isn't putting anything out.

James