DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

• 2 weeks later...

Info on the Netflix Saint Seiya project has been slowly leaking out. Here is everything I know:

- It will NOT be doing the full CGI approach that the anniversary movie had.since Terumi Nishii is involved as character designer and since she handled the characters for Jojo's Diamond is Unbreakable arc except it to loo ka lot like Jojo (which I'm cool with). 

- If you're a fan of the manga this is the show for you as it does away with the Docrates arc after the Galaxian Wars and will go straight from the Seiya/Ikki Death Queen Island fight right into the Seiya/Misty fight which dovetails right into the Silver Saint Arc. This means no Crystal Saint, Gigas, Steel Saints or Geist Saints.Basically its from Seiya gettign his Bronze Cloth to probably Saori getting shot at Sanctuary.

The more info that comes out the more excited I'm getting and my inital sense fof apprehension mlts away!

James

My god that Wing Zero is amazing, and sad we didn't get THAT in the anime at all.

It's actually a shame Gundam Wing didn't age well, even though the suit designs, especially the Endless Waltz designs, were on point.

Been watching a ton of Gintama lately, god this show just remains consistently great. Add to that I watched the Be Forever movie which was just perfect in ho to balanced the humor, action and emotion. I'm really going ot miss everything when Gintama is finally gone

James

• Like 2

Cross pollinated from the Blade Runner thread.

Blade Runner 2022: Black Out.  One of the Blade Runner 2049 short film prequels directed by Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo's Shinichiro Watanabe.

Spoiler

• Like 1

So it got real dusty while I was watching the last episode of Made In Abyss.  I knew what was going to happen after spoiling myself doing research after the end of last week's episode, but watching and hearing it in animated form made it about a 100 times worse than just reading the manga.

All in all I would say MiA was the best show from this past cour that I saw and I would recommend it to most people.  I sure hope, based on them not using an anime original ending, that they're already planning on an eventual season 2 as soon as the creator puts out some more material.

• Like 1

I'm still amazed how much I enjoy Dragon Ball Super.  So silly.  The past couple episodes on CN have been a blast.  When the Universe 6 vs. Universe 7 arc started, I just kinda wanted to speed through it to get to Future Trunks.  But it's been a blast.  Gpku vs. the fat bear thing was lots of fun, the Frost/Freiza deal was amusing, as was Vegeta blasting Frost off the map in about 30 secs.  

Is Dragon Ball GT any good?  I've never seen it, mostly 'cause I generally loathe the franchise, lol.  I find DBZ barely watchable and mostly interminable to sit through.  

Well, Dragon Ball Super has pretty much wiped GT out of existance, so what does that tell you?

That said, the Goku/Super 17 fight is probably one of the best finishes ever for  DB fight.

So the 15 year old wants to watch something with me (he's forcing Rwby on his mother. I refuse). 

I set up ground rules.

1.) Has to be no more than 39 episodes (or clear seasons of 26ish I suppose so long as there are cut off points).
2.) Has to be professionally made from a Japanese company.
3.) Has to be something which neither of us has seen and moreover that neither of us knows what happens in. Broad concept is fine. Spoilers are not. 

Number 3 is a huge turnoff to him because he only wants to show us things he's seen so he can "see how we react" and he only wants to watch things he watched other people watch on youtube or whatever. But those are my terms. Very fair. He can suggest anything from any time or any genre. I suggested to him that he take a look at the fall 2016 Japan anime list and see if anything interests him, then we'd look for reviews to make sure it's actually good. 

I'm open to suggestions though.

Fall 2016?  Really, there's only 2 series from that cour that most people would recommend: Yuri!!! on Ice and 3-gatsu no Lion.

There were other shows I watched and enjoyed, but they were either sequels or average shows like Long Riders!, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku or Shuumatsu no Izetta.

A good listing of what came out that season is at http://randomc.net/2016/09/23/fall-2016-preview/

I went with that because 
1) It'd be new enough to be relevant 
2) It would be out there long enough to know if it's a satisfactory package
3) It'd be out there long enough to be more or less reviewed
4) To show him the breadth of shows that are out there from just one season, and that no, we don't just have to watch Death Note because he knows people on youtube that talk about it (he's seen that anyway). 

But obviously suggestions would be better. I could have picked any random season in the last couple of years and hit that criteria. Fall 2016 was more to make a point than anything else. He hasn't started to look yet anyway.

Never seen Kingdom, but you can't go wrong with Mob Psycho 100 or Made in Abyss. That said, with my having no idea of what your kid's taste is outside of RWBY I would lean towards Made in Abyss since Mob Psycho 100 is kind of insane.