DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

I like the Sports Festival arc a lot, but yeah, the Stain arc was better.

I would've liked the sports festival arc a lot more if the final tourney was a team one. You could still have Deku's team lose, but showcasing some more on-the-spot tactics and teamwork would've fit more of the vibe of the series instead of the Michael Bay-fest we actually got between the three main guys.

That wouldn't have worked remotely since it was specifically about the problems two of those guys have on an individual level. The series isn't about team work, its about learning to be a hero. Team work is just one aspect and was literally the focus of the round right before the tournament.

Netflix is remaking Saint Seiya... as long as they aren't using those awful redesigns from the CGI movie I'm for this, especially since they are doing away with the anime only story with Docrates and going from Galaxian Wars straight t to the Silver Saint  story, just like the manga

James

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

That wouldn't have worked remotely since it was specifically about the problems two of those guys have on an individual level. The series isn't about team work, its about learning to be a hero. Team work is just one aspect and was literally the focus of the round right before the tournament.

Meh, Shoto's parental issues honestly bore me and you don't even need the tourney to have All Might want to send Midoriya to Gran Torino. Never said the series was about teamwork. Either way, I just wasn't a fan of the tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching Classroom of the Elite?  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  Imagine Baka and Test, but all the humorous and romcom/harem elements have been removed, and that's sort of the gist of it.  There's this odd undercurrent of suspense to it, sort of like Danganronpa.  It seems all the students are harboring some sort of dark secrets.  The show is interesting, but it's a bit weird that it takes everything so seriously and all the characters sort of have stereotypical anime designs.  Like Erased had fairly serious subject matter, but it wasn't designed quite like this show.  The designs seemed more subdued.  

Honestly, I'm enjoying the character growth in My Hero Academia. Shoto might have parental issues, but he doesn't seem quite the same as a Gaara or Sasuke.  He seems to appreciate his friends and is generally a good person.  He has a bit of a cold demeanor, but he doesn't treat people like garbage. 

Anyway, if you don't like that show, just wait for Black Clover in October to sate your Shonen Jump hunger.  Black Clover is like Naruto done right :) . Or just think Naruto, but they are magic knights instead of ninjas. 

Netflix is remaking Saint Seiya... as long as they aren't using those awful redesigns from the CGI movie I'm for this, especially since they are doing away with the anime only story with Docrates and going from Galaxian Wars straight t to the Silver Saint  story, just like the manga

I just hope it's 2D animation and not CG like the new Cyborg 009 and the King of Fighters series. 

Speaking of Naruto, I'm... actually enjoying it right now on Adult Swim.  I don't make much of an effort to catch it - I've seen relatively little of the first series and practically nothing on Shippuden pre-ep 130.  But I've enjoyed it lately.  The Pain arc has been rather watchable and the stuff preceding that with Sasake putting together his own group was entertaining.  Though the character designs for everyone else in Sasaki's group are bland and simplistic.

I'm also enjoying Dragon Ball Super just for how ridiculous it is.  Which is unusual, because I generally don't like shonen and hate the original DBZ.  I'll probably end up watching Kai just to see it it's at least better paced.   Anyway, Super seems to have taken all of DBZ's issues and amped them up to 11 and somehow it works.  I enjoy the Goku-Vegeta relationship being reduced to "Vegeta's a grump and Goku is an airhead who likes to train all the time,".  I dig Goku being a silly, laughing idiot who is the world's worst dad because he flies off at moment's notice to live on other planets so he can train all the time.

I even dig how easily they resort to deus ex machina to finish storylines.  They resurrected Frieza just to kill him off again after less than 20 eps with the most blatant literal deus ex machina plot device I've ever seen.

Spoiler

Frieza destroyed the Earth before Vegeta could kill him, so one of the characters rewound time three minutes and told Goku not to mess it up this time.  So Goku blasted him before Frieza before Vegeta could.

Granted, pretty much any babyface character who dies gets brought back via Dragon Balls so it's not really that much of a stretch.

I dunno.  I still hate DBZ and Kai doesn't really interest me, but Super is becoming weekly viewing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Anyone watching Classroom of the Elite?  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  Imagine Baka and Test, but all the humorous and romcom/harem elements have been removed, and that's sort of the gist of it.  There's this odd undercurrent of suspense to it, sort of like Danganronpa.  It seems all the students are harboring some sort of dark secrets.  The show is interesting, but it's a bit weird that it takes everything so seriously and all the characters sort of have stereotypical anime designs.  Like Erased had fairly serious subject matter, but it wasn't designed quite like this show.  The designs seemed more subdued.  

I'm enjoying it though it is a little weird to see a serious dramatic take on Baka and Test's premise.

• Like 1

I feel like I should be waiting for some insane reveal like the school is like some insane, elaborate death trap to torture and manipulate students into cracking psychologically and attempting to kill each other for some type of entertainment for psychotic adults like Hunger Games or Battle Royale.  The big reveal of "we won't give you points unless you get good grades, nyah!" didn't seem like much of a twist.  

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I feel like I should be waiting for some insane reveal like the school is like some insane, elaborate death trap to torture and manipulate students into cracking psychologically and attempting to kill each other for some type of entertainment for psychotic adults like Hunger Games or Battle Royale.  The big reveal of "we won't give you points unless you get good grades, nyah!" didn't seem like much of a twist.  

Just finished today's episode. We don't get an insane reveal or anything, but there is a glimpse of Ayanokoji's past which definitely isn't normal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Just finished today's episode. We don't get an insane reveal or anything, but there is a glimpse of Ayanokoji's past which definitely isn't normal.

I really hope it's something like he was part of some elite child soldier commando unit and he managed to escape, so he's trying to intentionally lower his grades to keep a low profile.  

EDIT

LOL, well I just watched episode six and I don't think I was far off from the child soldier thing.  It seems like we are getting into Fruit of Grisaia territory now.  I mean they had to be soldiers of a kind since Ayanokoji clearly has martial arts and combat training.  They wouldn't be training those kids martial arts and fighting techniques unless they wanted them to fight and possibly kill people.

So I guess the twist is that all the classes in the school are separating into cliques and gangs in order to get control of the school like some sort of martial arts or fighting school manga.  But I still think the adults are manipulating them into it for their own entertainment.  

These kids are so mental.  I'm going to control the school for the next 2-3 years!  It's a fucking school, not the Iron Throne of Westeros!

• 2 weeks later...

Took the kids to see Laputa: Castle in the Sky yesterday on the big screen. I've got a 5 year old so it was the dub. I haven't seen a Miyazaki movie on the big screen since Spirited Away first came out so it was a blast, even if this one isn't my favorite. It was also a blast to hear Hamill's joker laugh. The 15 year old has seen the movie probably a dozen times, so he was irritated at the differences in the dubs but otherwise, it was a near religious experience for him. We've already gotten the tickets for Nausicaa for next month. 

Counterpoint:

The 15 year old has decided that RWBY is his thing. He's made his Steam icon something based on it. He forces it upon his mother with the volume turned up to 33. He watches, on youtube, videos of OTHER PEOPLE WATCHING IT. 

It's basically the Davey Richards of animation but at least Davey Richards has better production values. 

To be fair, RWBY is done by the same guys that do the non-Machima portions of Red vs. Blue, and was started as a side passion project.  If Monty hadn't died, he might've upped the production values as he got better at animating, but things are what they are, and no one involved wants to change it from how it's always been.

29 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

To be fair, RWBY is done by the same guys that do the non-Machima portions of Red vs. Blue, and was started as a side passion project.  If Monty hadn't died, he might've upped the production values as he got better at animating, but things are what they are, and no one involved wants to change it from how it's always been.

I wouldn't even mind the production values if there was anything of substance to it. It's pretty much the most derivative thing I've ever seen in my life. There's nothing of substance but weapon design. I get that he had been close to my age, but it comes off as a 15 year old's doodles of what he thinks would be cool.

Which is naturally why my 15 year old loves it enough to watch people watch it on youtube. It just frustrates me that he has access to virtually everything ever made (and that we've had the luxury to curate a lot of what he's consumed up until now) and this is what he watches over and over again. It's about the social aspects of it more than anything else, which I can understand and appreciate but it's still a headache.

Wow, Classroom of the Elite has gradually turned into something quite interesting.  The show was so ultra-serious and humorless at first.  The first episode plot twist sort of had the impact of a whiffle bat, like "that's it?"  Then it basically started to look like Baka and Test without any comedy or humor.  Now that the character pieces are all set, the show's finally starting to have fun with itself and the setting.  Like they turned a whole episode of the Class D students trying to set up spy equipment to peep on girl into something interesting and hilarious between the Class D students learning sign language morse code and LSO flag signing.  I won't say the humor's subtle.  The episode's A-plot was entirely focused on minor characters of Class D setting up setting up cameras to see girls naked.  That's hardly an original anime subplot either.  But the execution at least felt unique and was hilarious, especially with the codenames. 

After his exoneration, Sudo's starting to come into his own as a character.  Now he's part of the group and acts friendly with everyone. If Ayakanoji and Horikita don't get paired up at some point, this show will be dead to me though :) . Horikita's line about one of the minor characters seeming to blend in with each other was very clever.  At this point, the writers definitely seem to be on to something.

It feels like they are just doing something different with the typical high school anime comedy setting between the offbeat main characters who all seem to be hiding some dark twisted secret: Kushida's some type of closet yandere like from When They Cry, Ayakanoji was a child experiment or soldier, and Horikita is still a bit of an enigma.