DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Nope, that's pretty much it.  Got delayed because Anno was working on Shin Godzilla but is now starting production.

It'll probably be released around the same time as the Gundam SEED movie, GaoGaiGar Project Z, Nadesico 2, Stellvia 2...

• Like 1

Started working my way through a huge anime backlog.  Bought quite a bit past few years, found time to watch only a little.  Planning to watch quite a few series over the summer.

Finished Assassination Classroom over the weekend.  Wacky.  Not quite my thing, but mostly very entertaining.  Think  I would have really liked it if it had been more plot-driven and tried to address some of the questions it raised about training a bunch of kids to be assassins and what to do with kids who show a real talent for assassination (the blue-haired kid). I nearly spit my drink up when Nagisa's horribly abusive mom got back together with his absentee dad like nothing had happened.  

Just finished Death Parade.  Eh, never got into it.  The one-off stories seemed a little too nasty and the cast never got fleshed out enough for me to get invested in the larger story of what was going on, or the ending.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 10:24 AM, Eivion said:

Akashic Records would have been better off doing a double feature for the first two episodes. So many were hating it just based on the first episode. I'm finding it a good deal of fun so far.

To me the third episode is where the plot really settles in and gets going and I really started enjoying it.  But yeah, the first episode doesn't end on the best note to really hook you into the series.  Because the whole point is that Glen Radars (Raiders, whatever) while appearing to be this talentless, careless ne'er-do-well bastard is actually this secretly elite badass who became jaded after his life as an assassin for the imperial government.  Once you realize that and Selica, who is basically his mother, made him a teacher to help him, the story gets a lot better.

If I have one major issue with Akashi Records, it's probably because it's one of those light novel stories with major-OP protagonist syndrome.  Sort of like Irregular at Magic High School.  Whoops, this so-called useless magician actually does have a magic trump card, and it's a super-OP magic trump card.  And he's also unbeatable in hand-to-hand and conventional combat.

Finished Assassination Classroom over the weekend.  Wacky.  Not quite my thing, but mostly very entertaining.  Think  I would have really liked it if it had been more plot-driven and tried to address some of the questions it raised about training a bunch of kids to be assassins and what to do with kids who show a real talent for assassination (the blue-haired kid). I nearly spit my drink up when Nagisa's horribly abusive mom got back together with his absentee dad like nothing had happened.  

Not sure how child custody laws work in Japan, but why couldn't Nagisa at least go to live with his dad?  His dad didn't seem that bad of a person.  He couldn't take care of his son at all?  But yeah, that was sort of an odd turn of events.  I guess the author wanted to redeem Nagisa's mother to a degree and make her somewhat sympathetic.  Because remember, the conclusion was that Korosensei and Nagisa were able to break through to her and convince her to do what's best for her son.  Also this is still my favorite moment in the show:

Triangle choke and then look how pitifully little Nagisa is held back from the scuffle:

Just finished Snow White and the Red Hair season 2 on Blu-ray.  What a good little show, and I'm disappointed there doesn't seem like there will be anymore.  It's a shame since it seems there's plenty of manga material for them to adapt.  

Just FYI, this is a solid anime show you can watch with your girlfriend or spouse and not get worried about them being repulsed like maybe say...Prison High School.

Also yeah, My Hero Academia is really cool.  Everyone should watch it.  Naruto with superheroes, but it totally works.  Similar world building to One Punch Man but less satire and more about embracing the whole superhero concept.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let's see how this turns out...

Sunrise to Co-Produce Live-Action Cowboy Bebop TV Series

Entertainment news magazine Variety and entertainment news website Deadline reported on Tuesday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action television series adaptation of the 1998 television anime Cowboy Bebop. Chris Yost (Thor: The Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok) will write the adaptation.

The studio Sunrise, which animated the original series, will executive produce the live-action series. Other executive producers will include Adelstein, Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Aquarius), Midnight Radio, and Matthew Weinberg. Midnight Radio is composed of Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, and Scott Rosenberg.

Adelstein said, "We are excited to work with Sunrise in bringing this beloved anime to the U.S. and global marketplace as a live-action series." The producer also said, "The animated version has long resonated with audiences worldwide, and with the continued, ever growing, popularity of anime, we believe a live action version will have an incredible impact today.”

They abandoned making the theatrical movie out of Bebop citing that it would be way to expensive to make for a theater. There is no way they can do a LA tv series of it and even come close

James

• Like 1

No, let's don't see how it turns out. Let's find other things for all these would be adapters to do with their lives.

How about another Thor film? Max Steel 2? Selling used cars? 

Teen Wolf got a few seasons on MTV. How about Doc Hollywood the series? Bet it would play well on Hallmark.

I feel like it will probably be better written than movie would have been with Yost writing and possibly less interference. Still have little faith in it turning out well. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

I wasn't really that caught up in Attack on Titan, season 1.  But, hell, I'm all in for season 2.  Really looking forward to the titan throwdown tonight (on Adult Swim).  Developing the rest of the cast and thus leaving less time to animate Eren's emo whining and Armin's whining whining is paying off with me.

On the other hand, the characters seem glacially slow to figure out that if titans are getting in and there's no hole in the wall....

A weekend stuck alone in hotels in the morning and at night has ended up with me finally getting into My Hero Academia.  Iida is an early favorite, which shouldn't surprise me since I tend to gravitate toward speedster types and Cyclops-esque stuffed shirts. 

• Like 1

Finished .hack//sign this morning.  I loved the series when it was first released back in 2002, but I haven't seen it since so I was curious how it would hold up.  15 years later, I can see flaws but it's still a fascinating experiment.  A lot of people gripe about the pacing, but it works for me.  A lot of the appeal for me in 2002 was that it was a talky, deliberately paced show short on fighting.  Still like that aspect, but it's maybe a little too talky.  Or maybe the conversations just aren't interesting.  For all the talking and character building, the show never does very well articulating the relationships between characters or what keeps them together.  Maybe it's more clear if you play the games.  Same thing with the villain.  Morganna is a vague, elusive presence who is never interesting in and of herself.  And even when her plan is finally explained near the end, it's still not clear.

Also wish they has made character designs more interesting.  The monsters look ridiculous (think something you'd see in Teen Titans Go) and the designs for human characters were generally simple.

All that said, I wish they'd make more shows like this.

Gonna finally watch Rurouni Kenshin next.  I've seem most of the Kyoto arc (via Toonami) and the OVAs.  Never been able to power through the TV series.

Legend of Galactic Heroes is finally streaming with English subs on hidive.com; I hadn't even realized that Sentai had licensed it since it'd been  like 2 years since they announced it with no release.  It looks  like a lot of the Section23 stuff that had been on Hulu but isn't anymore is up there now.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the New Kyoto Arc movies last night (Rurouni Kenshin).  It... looked nice, I guess.  Animation quality was much better than the tv series, but otherwise I thought it was a mess.  I'm not generally a fan of movies that condense a 26-episode season or more into a 2 hr. movie, so I didn't have high expectations, but even so...  They didn't even bother to properly introduce characters, just dropped the viewer into the middle of the story.  If you haven't seen the original Kyoto arc, you probably have no idea who these characters are or what the back story is. There just seemed to be no context for new viewers and it's an inferior retelling of the Kyoto arc, so I'm not sure how it stands on its own merits.  Really lacking in characterization or a sensible plot.

Just awful.  Probably not the worst $20 I've ever spent on anime, but definitely down there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up with My Hero Academia. Loved the Stain arc so much more than the sports festival one, which felt way too cliche and dragged toward the end with the 1-on-1 tourney. The kids having to work as a team instead of taking on every threat by themselves remains one of my favorite things about the series.

I like the Sports Festival arc a lot, but yeah, the Stain arc was better.

Looking at new from ANN today it looks like netlfix is putting out quite a few show next spring.

There is also a Soul hunter remake coming. I enjoyed the original so I'm actually looking forward to that.