DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Discotek Media continues to acquire new licenses and re-release classics::

Another new license: URUSEI YATSURA: BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, dir. by Mamoru Oshii. Includes dub recaptured from master!

ARCADIA OF MY YOUTH coming to Blu-ray! Classic dub included (from best available src)!

Gun Frontier complete series on DVD. December 20th. In Japanese with English subitles and the English dub.

That lost classic of anime, CHARGEMAN KEN!!, soon to be subtitled and coming to streaming and DVD in 2017!

I just discovered Toriko.  What a wonderfully insane show.  It's like someone combined Fist of the North Star with Shokugeki no Soma.  I know Toriko came first, but the show is just so mind-bogglingly insane with all of it's Gourmet Age world building.  Just for example, the Milk Cave with Lactic Stalagmites.  Two words I thought would never go together, but Toriko actually does this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the point is to finish up the series including the final manga arc. I just wish they hadn't skipped several arcs (from what I understand) to get to it though I've been loving the big stuff from the last two seasons.

Watched Empire of Corpses last night,  Think I would have really liked it if it was a series and got at least 10-13 episodes.  Really dug the plot and the world buiding.  As it was, there was just way too much plot for a two hour movie.  The last 40 minutes had me just throwing up my hands and saying "whatever."  Too many "shock" reveals and poorly built character turns.  I had trouble feeling too good about the happy ending since the main character was (by his own admission) responsible for an awful lot of death and destruction on a global scale.   Could have overlooked that if the writing and characterization were better.  Honestly, I'd probably be down for a two season, 50-60 ep. reboot along the lines of Fullmetal Alchemist.  There were some fascinating ideas and characters in there that didn't get the time they needed to properly develop

Grumble grumble budget constraints grumble grumble.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the major problem with Delta is that the music is just...there.  From the vocal collections, there's only around 4 or 5 songs I really like and only 2 of them are strongly tied to an episode.  Throw that in with a mediocre second half of the series and it becomes a series that I didn't find that good overall.