DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

IGN gave it an 8.9.

I don't think it's too bad, but I did find Coran insufferable.  It's basically Voltron done in the style of the Avatar cartoons.

The wise cracker was too much like Sokka for me. 

Surprised the crew is not more diverse, gender/eethnicity wise. 

Well they gender-bended one character.  Plus Haggar is still there on the villain side.  Hunk fell in love with a rock alien.  

They changed Sven back into Shiro from the original Japanese version.  So I would say you are a little off there.  

FYI, Norman Reedus played the alien mercenary in episode six.

I only watched the pilot (first 3 eps). Oh. Just reading the cast list and didnt realize Pidge was a girl. Guess i wasnt paying that close attention while watching. 

Disclaimer: never really watched the original show the i did with battle of the planets and star blazers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2016 at 8:57 PM, odessasteps said:

I only watched the pilot (first 3 eps). Oh. Just reading the cast list and didnt realize Pidge was a girl. Guess i wasnt paying that close attention while watching. 

Disclaimer: never really watched the original show the i did with battle of the planets and star blazers. 

Pidge was pretending to be a boy until halfway through the season.

6 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Well that's assuming that someone finally found the Megaroad-01...plus Delta's 55 years after the original...

Knowing Kawamori, it's a red herring or it'll be Minami Minegishi the 5th.

Watch, Lady M is an older Myung, though I really doubt any military organization would let the headcase that's partially responsible for The Sharon apple incident be in any sort of position of power

James

I'm not actually bothered by that one. In general it never made sense how the disease got to Earth if no Terraformers were there to transmit it. It also explains how they infiltrated the ship on the way to Mars in the first place. I also want to say that they implied back in the first season that the nation who betrayed the mission gave the Terraformers some sort of support to attack. They have also been implying that the Terraformers were clearly engineered to fight humanity by someone/something so it makes sense that whoever that is would eventually send them directly to the planet. Its not quite a jump the shark moment so I wouldn't mind another season though I don't think it will be back anyways.

Well Macross DELTA's halfway point has the Windemere technically winning but NUNS scoring a major trophy kill. 

As for Dragon Ball Super... we better be getting an origin for Goku Black in the next few episodes because going right to Goku v. Goku Black from the get go is going to get old fast.

In "Thank god for the Summer Anime Season": Berserk starts on friday

James

I liked the first episode, but there's A LOT of people who detested it because of the CGI and that it looks like they're skipping chapters, etc.  I won't be surprised if it turns out to be one of the most divisive shows of the year.

I was actually about to ask how much was skipped? I never read the manga so I'm not sure where its starting from. What are the big things I'm missing? As for the actual show I liked the first episode a good deal though I'm not fond of the CGI at all. I already knew I wouldn't be going in though. Its not terrible, it just not a style I'm fond of.

It's a bit hard to explain what they skipped, but I will try. The first three volumes of Manga (The Black Swordsman Arc) takes place after the Golden Age Arc (3-13) which is what the anime has covered previously, both the 1997 series and the movie trilogy. This Manga opens like the Black swordsman Arc, but skips around a bunch and sort of crams characters in. It's clear they want to get to a major story called the Conviction Arc, so I'm going to reserve judgement until they slow down and tell that story, but I didn't love the first episode. The animation style is interesting, but looks wonky and cheap some times. The sound effects for the sword fight were almost laughable. 

Again, I totally understand the idea that they need to introduce characters and cram a lot in there, because the trilogy and the 1997 anime both left out a ton of stuff that is important later in the series. I can forgive less than stellar animation as long as they slow down and tell a really compelling story once they get to a point where they are all caught up. 

I did think the first episode was a great introduction to the tone of the world, I thought things looked appropriately horrific, and I though the characterization of Puck was pretty good. I give it an incomplete. 

My summer viewing list i small:

Berserk, DAYS, Macross DELTA (hold over from Spring) , Food Wars: Shougeki No Soma The 2nd Plate , Dragon Ball SUPER (will keep running until Toriyama decides to pack it in again)

DAYS looks to fill the void of Haikyuu until that show's third season starts. Had a really pleasant first episode. My toku watching schedule has opened up with the current season of GARO ending and Kamen Rider AMAZONZ S1 having wrapped so I might add another anime to fill that void.

James

The changes with the new season of D. Gray-man feel jarring, especially after having spent the last 6 months rewatching the original series. The art style is a bit too bright and pretty, taking a lot away from the darker atmosphere. I still have no idea why they felt the need to change the entire damn cast as I think most if not all of the originals are still alive and active. That one is particularly off putting as I think the new cast just can't quite capture what the old ones did though Allen sounds decent. Lena Lee actually sounds close to the original actress, just a bit younger which again throws you off. Still it good to finally be able to continue the story as anime viewer.

Forget everything else this season. The show to watch is Thunderbolt Fantasy!

Just watch the first 5 minutes.

You will either fall in love with it like I did or hate and thus admit you have no soul and can feel no joy!

James

So glad Shokugeki no Soma is back.  Season 2 will only be 13 episodes.  Not sure what other plans they have beyond this since I heard season 1 didn't do great ratings.  Hopefully they will get to keep making more of the show.