DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Well Miura isn't gettign any younger and his hiatuses are more frequent so the Berserk manga moves at a snails pace these days

James

Haha there was a funny post on one of the Berserk boards about the true antagonist of Berserk being the ocean, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the pace moving forward. I think once we meet Hanafubuku and they address the Casca issue, the direction for everybody will be much clearer moving forward.

Well Miura isn't gettign any younger and his hiatuses are more frequent so the Berserk manga moves at a snails pace these days

Gyndam THUNDERBOLT  Episode 1 is out and it is gorgeous. If this, The Origin and Iron Blooded Orphans don't turn things around for the franchise Bandai has said we're getting more stuff like Build Fighters. That is the lat thing any of us want. If the 2 current projects can reignite the fanbase then there is hope. I've loved IBO and Thunderbolt and The Orifin. I just hope enough people watch all of them.

James

I mean that's the problem with Miura.  The pacing of the story has been terrible.  It's like, how he can he finish the story at this point?  It's dragged so much.  

I didn't care for Build Fighters. Just not my cup of tea. The Origin has been amazing so far and the first episode of Thunderbolt gets us back to the meat and potatoes of Gundam conflicts Zeon v. Federation Ace Pilots.  Sunrise is always going to revisit UC/One Year timeline because it is the franchise that creators like most and generates most interest from the diehard Gundam fans.

I mean of the non-UC timelines, not counting IBO I've only liked G Gundam (because, honestly how could I not? Its like Imagawa making a Gundam so he could finance Giant Robo and it paid off) and 00 (well save for the movie, which was... not very good).

I think we can all agree G Reconguista was Tomino's worst work right?

James

The Tartaros finale was a nice Christmas present indeed. I nearly thought they were gonna hold off on the big spoiler of

Natsu being E.N.D.

. It looks like they're gonna use the prequel manga Fairy Tail Zero as a filler arc before going ahead with the current story. 

Hmmmm, for me Tomino's best would be either Z Gundam, Aura Battler Dunbine or Heavy Metal L-Gaim (with a strong leaning to L-Gaim).

I think he has a few underrated gems as well like Brain Powerd (it is actually good despite all the hype that sabotaged it) and Overman King Gainer

James

The Tartaros finale was a nice Christmas present indeed. I nearly thought they were gonna hold off on the big spoiler of

Natsu being E.N.D.

. It looks like they're gonna use the prequel manga Fairy Tail Zero as a filler arc before going ahead with the current story. 

Yeah I totally didn't see that one coming. It did make some sense of things.

No talk of how shitty Wing was?

Although that's in retrospect, I loves it at the time. Teenage me had way different tastes than mid 30's me.

And, besides, Wing is nowhere close to being the worst Gundam series of all time.

(And, hey, I bet there'd be a variety of diverse opinions on what Tomino's best work is...)

Wing is pretty terrible, but several years ago when I was watching all the Gundam series I couldn't help but still enjoy it even if it at times it was because of things being laughably bad.

Hmmmm, for me Tomino's best would be either Z Gundam, Aura Battler Dunbine or Heavy Metal L-Gaim (with a strong leaning to L-Gaim).

I think he has a few underrated gems as well like Brain Powerd (it is actually good despite all the hype that sabotaged it) and Overman King Gainer

James

I should probably watch more of Tomino's non-Gundam series at some point. So far Ive only seen seen Overman King Gainer which I remember enjoying already enough alone for the opening song.

Hey if it happened to Ushio to Tora, anythign is possible!

The only thing I can see stopping it is how detailed Nangano's illsutrations are and beautiful his character designs. Plus there is so much material for FSS the problem might be where to begin. Then again if they cna animate a TV series for Jojo after all this time then anything is possible (though Jojo isn't nearly as detailed, artwise, as FSS)

James

Soooooo, the ATTACK ON TITAN: JUNIOR HIGH is actually pretty funny. Totally subverts the first season of the original anime and has all the people voicing the same characters as chibu junior high schoolers. They take all the super-serious scenes from the original and have them in the weirdest of circumstances. Not bad.

Attack on Titan junior high is a lot of fun and it's fun to watch the series make fun of itself and how really grave and serious it could be. All the characters are dialed up to 11. Armin being so freakish about the cold and his blanket is great.

• Like 1

Yeah I enjoyed Macross DELTA way more than I thought I would. With the 2 warring groups of pilots I'm getting a very Chouja Reideen vibe from it and I love Chouja Reideen (which was batshit insane and made no sense).  Givent hat the last Macross series (FRONTIER) was the 3rd best in the franchise (not counting DYRL) I've got high hopes.

Just wish we had Yoko Kanno doing the music

James

and the Winter Season has begun!

Phantom World - First episode was interesting enough to bring me back for at least 3 more. The animation of of the female brests is like if Studio Ghibli had decided to dedicate 4 years of animation detail to drawing boobs

Im' about to check out first episode of Active Raid

James

The latest Gintama arc has been fantastic.

It's like 10 years and 300 episodes of pure inanity is finally paying off Venture Bros. style.

EDIT:

So I watched the first episode of Active Raid.  I definitely see the Tiger & Bunny comparisons.  However, the premise is basically a rip-off of an anime series you can probably find on Crackle right now called Viper's Creed.  Now obviously you can trace this back to other shows like Patlabor and Tank Police, but a lot of the concepts and other beats here are identical.  Viper's Creed even had this weird post-apocalyptic thing going on, where in the future a great deal of the world has been flooded.  Here there was an implication of some sort of quicksand cataclysm or something.

I think the obvious improvement here is that the characters are much livelier and less dull and stiff like in Viper's Creed.  There's a fun sort of goofy factor to this division. 

Everything seemed to go well for the team this episode.  They were a little edgy, but they didn't come off like incompetent misfits.  They generally seemed to follow all the rules of conduct, outside of the section chief mildly blackmailing the ward mayor.

I think the most interesting concept is that basically every move the officers made had to be painstakingly regulated and then approved by the command center based off of government law.  They had to wait for criminal escalation and approval from the operators in the command center before they could initiate force.  

Tomorrow is "anime day" with Terra, the woman I've been seeing since Thanksgiving.  She really wants to watch the first 3-4 eps of Hellsing Ultimate because she loves the manga and the first anime.  I am planning to subject her to classic mech opera or space opera, but can't decide between DYRL, the first couple eps of Zeta, or Arcadia Of My Youth (her only experience with The Captain is the CGI movie, and I feel I have a moral obligation to show her "proper" Harlock).