DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Naga was a fun character, but her role is best suited to the movies and OVAs i.e. as Linna's self-professed rival. Unless they wanted to make a movie the delved deeper to the Naga/Amelia connection (which would be AWESOME!). Part of me wants another TV series. I thoguht R/Revolution was ok but not upto the heights of the previous shows (with NEXT being the best of the original 3). Now if for some reason they wanted to do a Luna Inverse story... well I'm all for it!

James

I actually got to see Sacred Star of Milos in a theater out here in LA so that was pretty cool.  The animation wasn't quite as good first FMA movie, but as a one-off filler adventure to the Brotherhood series it was fine.  

So while I wasn't looking, Viz announced that they're going to release Ranma 1/2 on blu-ray in 2014.  Shut up and take my money!

I watched FMA: Sacred Star of Milos, and it was pretty good as a stand-alone movie.  I don't know how well it did in Japan, but it seems like that would be an easy way to write more stories for franchises that people love and have finished their series (see also: Trigun Badlands Rumble, which I also enjoyed tremendously).

Also along those lines, I've also been rewatching the Slayers and Ranma OVAs.  I'm kind of surprised that they didn't make more stories with Lina and Naga.  Their characters play off each other really well and the humor is right along the lines of Slayers Next.

I would have liked to have seen more Naga if only to see her interact with the rest of the Slayers crew. I both love and hate Revolution for their teasing of that.

Naga was a fun character, but her role is best suited to the movies and OVAs i.e. as Linna's self-professed rival. Unless they wanted to make a movie the delved deeper to the Naga/Amelia connection (which would be AWESOME!). Part of me wants another TV series. I thoguht R/Revolution was ok but not upto the heights of the previous shows (with NEXT being the best of the original 3). Now if for some reason they wanted to do a Luna Inverse story... well I'm all for it!

James

The original series will always be my favorite, but I loved Next and Try as well. It was always disappointing how R/Revolution never managed to rise to the same level. I concur about wanting an actual Luna Inverse story. It could a five minute short for all I care, I just want something. I would still like to see another tv series regardless of the last one's quality.

I don't know who MVD entertainment are but it takes some serious balls ot announce you are releasing all of Saint Seiya in season boxsets for $100 a pop. I mean I'm going ot buy it because its Saint seiya, one of my all time favorites. Still It would be more economical to release the Galaxian Wars/Black Sints arc first. Oh well, there is a perfect Xmas gift for myself!

James

Really surprised no mention of this yet. 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-01/hayao-miyazaki-to-retire-from-making-feature-films

Really sad to see him go even though I think he lost his golden touch a while ago and I haven't been blown away by anything he or Ghibli in general has done (except Arrietty) since Spirited Away and that was released over a decade ago....

Still, 8 of the 10 movies he's produced that i've seen (obv haven't seen Wind Rises yet) are classics to me and that's a track record that's hard to beat. 

• Like 1

Really surprised no mention of this yet. 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-01/hayao-miyazaki-to-retire-from-making-feature-films

Really sad to see him go even though I think he lost his golden touch a while ago and I haven't been blown away by anything he or Ghibli in general has done (except Arrietty) since Spirited Away and that was released over a decade ago....

Still, 8 of the 10 movies he's produced that i've seen (obv haven't seen Wind Rises yet) are classics to me and that's a track record that's hard to beat. 

Same here.  I don't love his early work as much as some, and the releases from the past decade don't match his peak, but, even Princess Monoke/Spirited Away represent a career high that's pretty hard to match (or his earlier work, I like Porco Rosso quite a it too).

The Eva talk has inspired me to sit down and re-watch it for the first time in... years?  A decade?  More? I've watched the show a couple of times, but not in quite a while.  Since the last time I've watched it, I've seen a lot of shows that changed my conception of what I want out of an anime (the Ghost in the Shell tv series, Monster, Millennium Actress, FMA, etc.).  Not very far in, but EVa's seeming sort of dated looking at it now.  Very much a product of it's time.  Not sure how it's going to hold up.  Be interesting to see.

Interesting that the vast vast majority of the reaction i've read to the Miyazaki news seems to be denail that it's even true to begin with.

Most people responding are taking the stance that "he's talked about retiring a bunch in the past & he always comes back, this will be no diffrent" 

James

Like Eivion said, a story with Naga meeting the rest of the characters is high on my Anime wish list

I'm not particularly holding out hope but on the other hand, I wasn't exspecting Revolution 7 years after they last made any sort of Slayers anime so anythings possible.

Re Revolution, the first part was pretty disapointing but once they got to the 2nd half with R I thought it clicked really well and i'd put that part alongside the best stuff the franchise has produced

So we're almost through Slayers Next which may be the most I've ever seen my kid love anything. I intend to move on to Zeta Gundam before we hit Slayers Try though.

I'm with JH, that is a bit too harsh of a change in styles/themes.

Not sure how, but I totally missed Miyazaki retiring on ANN. I'm not too bothered by it as I never cared much for him outside of Spirited Away. Glancing through the article it does seem like he is only retiring from films so he may not be entirely gone from making anime.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, if you can get past some of the fanservice, maybe the original Gunbuster might be a good thing for you and the boy. I say MIGHT because I still feel guilty about not warning you about the upgrade in fanservice from GaoGaiGar to GaoGaiGar FINAL...

James

Interesting that the vast vast majority of the reaction i've read to the Miyazaki news seems to be denail that it's even true to begin with.

Most people responding are taking the stance that "he's talked about retiring a bunch in the past & he always comes back, this will be no diffrent" 

Well I mean, that's accurate isn't it?  Isn't this like his third "retirement?"

Well I mean, that's accurate isn't it?  Isn't this like his third "retirement?"

Yes, shouldn't automatically mean he doesn't mean it this time however. 

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/people/AJ201309060087

It has been five years between my last work and "Kaze Tachinu" (The Wind Rises). The next work could come in six or seven years, but Studio Ghibli would not last if I kept that up and I would use up all of my 70s, or in other words, I would use up all the time I had left.

Q: What is the largest difference between now when you are serious about retirement and your past suggestions that you might quit?

A: It took five years between "Ponyo" and "Kaze Tachinu." If I were to start thinking about the next feature-length movie, it will likely take more than five years, considering my age now.

I will turn 73 in a few months, but if my next movie should take six or seven years to complete, I would be 80 by the time it was done.

I feel that my age of making feature-length animation movies has ended.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/09/06/national/miyazaki-vows-he-wont-be-idle-in-retirement/

“I know I made headlines by signaling my intention to retire numerous times before, but this time I’m serious,” Miyazaki told reporters in Tokyo’s Kichijoji district, where he appeared on stage with producer Toshio Suzuki, his long-time colleague, and Studio Ghibli head Koji Hoshino.

In a written statement, Miyazaki described himself as “becoming slower and slower,” saying his age, 72, has left him more prone to fatigue and less able to endure all-day sessions at his work desk.

“My days as a director of feature animation are over,” he said.

:)

So I'm watching the earlier episodes of Attack on Titan again, and every time they show the armored Titan who appears and destroys the inner wall, I hear the opening bit from Brock Lesnar's theme in my head.

The human race is super brave to fight a ninety foot tall Brock Lesnar.

• Like 1

You do know they have had that for a long while now, right? You also could have used their actual website or hulu.

I've had the boxed set for a long time, but I now have a place to go when I'm pulling shit duty overnight.

The creator of Attack On Titan has gone on record saying he based the Armored Titan on Brock Lesnar

James

When and where id he say this? Awesome regardless

He posted on his livedoor blog back in May. Of course when you find out who the Armored Titan is... well let's just say it is kinda obvious if you paid attention during the Battle of Trost, it makes perfect sense

James

Well the new season for Anime has started. I'm going to go with KILL LA KILL and Coppelion

I've watched the first episode of Coppelion and it is interesting enough that I'm going to at least watch episode 2, so that's something. I have high hopes for KILL LA KILL since it is by the same team that made Gurren Lagann. So what are the rest of you gonna watch this season?