DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Taking the "science ninjas" v. Global Terrorist  element away is like taking the martial arts aspect out of Hokuto No Ken and using that name to tell the story of a boy who owns a dress shop trying to save it from his brother that wants to make the store into a giant chain of dress shops. 

Do you have any idea just how much money that would make?

• Like 1

Braiger is...good for a very formulaic Criminal of the Week show (J9 gets hired, J9 investigates, J9 brings out Braiger, etc.), although in the last few episodes a singular main villain emerges.  It's a very 70's Super Robot show, too, so unless you're used to that genre with the typical old animation and complete preposterous plots and/or a Super Robot fan, I'd probably avoid it.  There's also two follow up shows (Baxingar and Sasuraiger), although I don't think either of them have been fansubbed yet.

I still have 8 episodes of Braiger left so I have no idea how well it ends yet.  And then once I do finish it I'll probably finally get around to watching L-Gaim.

Most mech shows I watch tend to lean more towards Gundam/Macross style. I do enjoy Super Robot shows and am used to preposterous plots in anime in general. Its just the older animation that can be a bit bothering at times. Maybe I will check an episode or two out at some point to see if it interests me. I have to admit to liking the OP music.

Braiger is...good for a very formulaic Criminal of the Week show (J9 gets hired, J9 investigates, J9 brings out Braiger, etc.), although in the last few episodes a singular main villain emerges.  It's a very 70's Super Robot show, too, so unless you're used to that genre with the typical old animation and complete preposterous plots and/or a Super Robot fan, I'd probably avoid it.  There's also two follow up shows (Baxingar and Sasuraiger), although I don't think either of them have been fansubbed yet.

I still have 8 episodes of Braiger left so I have no idea how well it ends yet.  And then once I do finish it I'll probably finally get around to watching L-Gaim.

Is it like Gaogaigar?

Is it like Gaogaigar?

It's nowhere close to being Gaogaigar.  Actually, to be honest, it's not really even a true Super Robot show now that I think more about it.  Braiger is really only there as a plot device for the good guys to win.  They probably could have had the same story layout, etc., without the robot.  I guess one could say it's more of a criminal/gang fighting show?  It gets thrown in the Super Robot genre mostly because ( a ) it has a non-real (in SRW terms) robot and ( b ) it's been in SRW games.

Braiger, Trider and one other, whose name I forget, have their own subseries name but I can't remember thename of it. Like how GaoGaiGar is a Brave Robot, Raijin-Oh is Eldoran and most of Sunrise and Toei shows are Super Robots.

James

Braiger and its sequels are part of the J9 series.  SRW GC has a combination attack with all three of them.

Trider G7 is pseduo-linked in the SRW Z series with Zambot 3 and to a lesser extent Daitarn 3 (mostly because Zambot and Daitarn show up as toys in Trider IIRC).  They have two combination attacks in Z2.2.

There's also the Nagahama/Romance Trilogy (Combattler, Voltes and Daimos) with a combination attack in @3.

I'm primarily a fan of atmospheric/dark anime like Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Another, and Monster.  Aside from that, I like comedy in the vein of Cromartie High School, FLCL and Welcome to the NHK!...favorite of all time is probably Fist of the North Star, however.  Anyone have any recommendations along those lines that might be a little more obscure, yet possible to track down?

So yeah, Gatchaman Crowds...I guess they needed to renew the trademark or something.

(Side note since J.H. mentioned Raideen...did you see the 2007 remake J.H.?  Just curious what you thought of it if you did.)

And I never knew much about a chicken laying eggs until I watched Silver Spoon <shudder>

Ha, I totally forgot about Rahxephon.  Yeah, 2007 REIDEEN was nowhere as good as Rahxephon (side note: Banpresto really screwed up Rahxephon IMO in SRW MX...) but it was still a pretty good remake.  Never did see the Super Sentai Reideen though.

I'm primarily a fan of atmospheric/dark anime like Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Another, and Monster.  Aside from that, I like comedy in the vein of Cromartie High School, FLCL and Welcome to the NHK!...favorite of all time is probably Fist of the North Star, however.  Anyone have any recommendations along those lines that might be a little more obscure, yet possible to track down?

Hmmm, On the obscure comedy front i'd recomend Sexy Comando & Ping Pong Club not sure how obscure it's considered these days but watch Excel Saga if you've never seen it. Detroit Metal City too

On the serious/dark front and also don't know how obscure these are now but Texhnolyze, Vampire Princess Miyu TV, They Were 11 (movie), Requiem From The Darkness & Rumic World OAV. Mermaid Forrest too, i've never seen it but it fits in as a remake of some of the stories from Rumic World. 

Not really in either catagory but you might like Rumic Theatre too. 

What are some of the best stand alone (not part of any tv series or franchise) movies to come out in the past 3-4 years ??? Besides Ghibli films....

No one? :(

• Like 1

What are some of the best stand alone (not part of any tv series or franchise) movies to come out in the past 3-4 years ??? Besides Ghibli films....

You already mentioned the best one in Summer Wars (which you disliked). I have seen other films, but none of them made near as much of an impact on me as that one to the point where I honestly can't recall their names offhand.

Downloading some random things in an effort to answer my own question. Started on the Garden of Sinners series of short films, didn't know what to make of it after the 1st but the 2nd one was awesome I thought and really sold me on it. Reminds me a good bit of Boogie Pop so far so it's something you might wanna look into Zheroen

Speaking of which, anyone besides me really like the Boogie Pop live action movie? I was surprised at how much I liked it. 

• Like 1

I want to say its the fifth and seventh films of Kara no Kyokai that really deliver. They are also full length films if I recall correctly.

Finished the 3rd movie. Really admire the ambitiousness of the project if nothing else.

Don't think it would have worked as well but I get the sense that they could have done this as a half or even full season tv show. Instead they just said fuck it and decided to not be bothered with the constraints having to wrap everything into x amount of weekly 24 minute packages would have put on them so instead we got a 7 part series of movies ranging from 48 mins to 2 hours. 

Wish more artist got the opportunity for that type of creative freedom, to tell their stories however they wished in as little or as much time is needed.  

Finished watching Shin Getter Robo the other day and thought that it was tremendous. I marathoned through the entire thing with a friend, which made the whole experience even better, but I still thing that I would have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it even if he hasn't have come over. Go Nagai is a great human being. 

• Like 1

You may like Hi no Tori. 

Finished watching Shin Getter Robo the other day and thought that it was tremendous. I marathoned through the entire thing with a friend, which made the whole experience even better, but I still thing that I would have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it even if he hasn't have come over. Go Nagai is a great human being. 

I think Nagai is really part of a Holy Manga Quintet that includes Tezuka, Matsumoto, Yokoyama, Ishinomori and Nagai himself

James

Finally watched the 3rd Berserk movie. Its pretty much what you expect if you've seen the first 2. The animation is questionable in places and they naturally cut a lot out to get it all into a 100min film but its a good watch and there is finally an animated Skull Knight.

I hope they continue on with the movies since these 3 only take us to where the TV series ended and there is plenty of manga to catch up on now. Maybe some stand alone stuff before another trilogy. A short OVA to fill in what happened after the ending but before the post credit scene and to introduce the characters they left out, then one of The Black Swordsman stuff from book 1 perhaps? How were they received in japan? anyone know if they did well enough to continue on with the series?