DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I definitely would recommend it. I loved the series. If you plan to watch it you might want to wait until the summer as they are re-airing it in Japan as one hour specials with new footage to build up the second season in the fall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of Blue Exorcist?  I'm looking for something new to watch and a few people have mentioned BE.  I've watched the first several eps on Adult Swim, and while i'm not completely turned off, I'm not sure I want to invest more time in it unless it picks up.  Setup/characters/writing seem cribbed from everything from Bleach to Kekkaishi and so far it seems rather oddly paced.  The series only went 25 eps and not much has happened after the premise was established in the first two eps.  Episode 6 mostly involved cooking.

I'm not a big fan of out and out shounen series, though I did enjoy Bleach and Kekkaishi (and find InuYasha kinda addictive despite not really feeling it's very good).

• 2 weeks later...

Yamato Resurection (recent movie. I have this but haven't watched it yet. I should prob do that this weekend actually :) )

Ok, so almost a year later I finally got around to watching this. 

Overall it wasn't horrible or anything but by the end I was a little disapointed. Most of the new characters started out as really lame, stereo typical geeks and by the end were just bland & uninteresting as they "grew". The ending is what really took things down for me though to the point I was actively screaming BOOOOO.

Whole entire movie is building up that the Earth is going to be destroyed by being sucked up into a black hole. At the last moment, even though there were plenty of ships & time for them to evacuate, a new home was waiting and their enemy was defeated,  Dr Sado & Sanada both decide they'd rather commit suicide and stay behind becase Sado just doesn't want to live anymore apparently & Sanada thinks it'll be super cool to witness the planets doom up close.........WTF!!!!

Then we get a long sceen of animals across the world, Lions & Tigers & Zebras & Giraffs all chilling together, whales & baby bears and shit, all sensing their coming death, looking up to the sky and screaming.....which again made me go WTF? Couldn't NOAH away these guys? Just going to leave every other creature on the planet who's not a pet puppy or kitten to die huh? Few scattered old ppl in the country side & monks on a mountain mixed in too who either stayed or were left behind. 

Then with like 5 mins left in the movie, SWERVE, evil space alien pops up like "HAHA, it's not a black hole suckas, it's a dimension gateway, we're jacking your planent to mine it for resources MWAHAHHAHAHA" . And even though it was established early on in the movie that they'd known about the hole's existence for years and had all the top scientist in the world working on it they couldn't figure this out but in a matter of minutes the Yamato's science officer girl is able to confirm "oh yeah, it really isn't a black hole afterall" and they're able to just blast it away with their giant gun, the end, except for a few crew members who died during the blast who I don't even recognize the Earth is saved, yay. BOOOOOOO

......course, if they ever do end up making the rumored sequal to this i'm totally still going to watch :)

So, started watching Flowers of Evil on Hulu Plus, and I've been completely blown away.  Nearly every review I'd read before hand had slated it for being boring and having unlikeable characters, but having watched eight episodes in a row, now I'm wondering if it's disliked because it ISN'T victim to typical generic anime bullshit.  It has a very dark and uncomfortable vibe, which I suppose turns off those who want ridiculous moe/fan-service wankery.  Sort of reminds me of something that Michael Haneke would turn out, were he an anime creator.

Part of me feels like I really ought to watch JoJo now that it's on a legal streaming service. Part of me feels like the inevitable result is watching 4 episodes and stopping even if I like it because I no longer seem to have the attention span for subbed anime about sixty percent of the time. (I don't object to "having to read a movie", I just recognize that at this point I'm so used to watching a show while doing something else that giving the TV 100% of my brain is an unreasonable goal for me.)

So, started watching Flowers of Evil on Hulu Plus, and I've been completely blown away.  Nearly every review I'd read before hand had slated it for being boring and having unlikeable characters, but having watched eight episodes in a row, now I'm wondering if it's disliked because it ISN'T victim to typical generic anime bullshit.  It has a very dark and uncomfortable vibe, which I suppose turns off those who want ridiculous moe/fan-service wankery.  Sort of reminds me of something that Michael Haneke would turn out, were he an anime creator.

Don't know anything about Flowers of Evil but I had this exact same reaction when I was watching Rainbow a cpl years ago. Most ppl seemed to really dislike it but I thought it was one of the best shows i've seen from the modern era of anime or really ever. 

What is this Rainbow show you speak of?

Never made it past the first episode of Flowers of Evil. I just found it terribly boring and figured it wasn't something for me. I recall others liking it a decent bit though so I'm surprised to hear someone talking about it being so disliked.

Take into acount, the current story of Jojo has been animated before... that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it though because Stardust Crusaders is pretty much the definitive Jojo arc.

James

Awful?

I mean it was made between 93-96 and for its time it was very state of the art. Also take int oaccount  that Jojo itself is completely insane and over he top and ridiculous. I nearly spit out my beer when the closing credits for episode 3 of the new series came on and they revealed that this time out we are getting "Walk Like An Egyptian" to sing along to as oppsed somethign else by Yes (though "walk Like An Egyptian" makes total sense)

James

Fandom has changed somewhat. I mean in the 90s mainstream US fandom reviled Hokuto No Ken but they were basing their opinions on th Streamline dub, which was basically comparing Gatchaman to BotP. The Jojo OVA were one of those things that got shown at monthly anime club meetings and local small cons (along with Elemenlors and Combustible Campus Guardress) and just kept gettign shown over and over again. No one counted on the manga ever getting released i nthe US.

James

Fandom has changed somewhat. I mean in the 90s mainstream US fandom reviled Hokuto No Ken but they were basing their opinions on th Streamline dub, which was basically comparing Gatchaman to BotP. The Jojo OVA were one of those things that got shown at monthly anime club meetings and local small cons (along with Elemenlors and Combustible Campus Guardress) and just kept gettign shown over and over again. No one counted on the manga ever getting released i nthe US.

James

I don't think 90s fandom was basing the hatred of HnK on the Streamline dub (bad though it is) so much as the fact that all we had any access to was the movie. Even subtitled, that movie is shit on toast if you want anything at all beyond a bloodbath. 

On a similar "distracted by the bloodspray" note, part of me really wants to go back and watch the Guyver OVAs (and Out of Control to a lesser extent). I remember being weirdly fascinated by them when I was in high school but not liking them much, and being surprised at how solid the story was when I saw the 21st century TV series (which changed some things for the better, like keeping Lisker around through the whole first half, but didn't change THAT much) and would be happy to revisit the first adaptation were it available. (fun fact: the Zoanoid who dies in the first ep was Steve Blum's first-ever voiceover job.)

And Attack On Titan is coming to Toonami in May....YES!

Attack on Titan starts this weekend, actually @ 11:30.  It's a double win for me.  I haven't seen the show yet because I no longer have the patience to watch subtitled anime (become too used to using the laptop while I watch tv) and I really hated Space Dandy.

The weekend Toonami/Adult Swim block has been shockingly good lately, after years (?) of disinterest from CN.   

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the new Captain Harlock movie, hugely disapointed by this one as well. Awesome graphics horrible plot sums it up in a nutshell.

Didn't know this going in but I found out afterwards that Matsumoto wasn't involved in this movie and it really showed as it's missing all the charm that make his works so great.

No grand theme about what it means to be human or a man or to fight for what you believe in, just a generic sci fi action movie with a lot of vauge, non sensical at times plot points and character twist.