DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:32 PM, Blue Dragon said:

Trailer 2

Some blood in the movie.

I like that the movie acknowledges that Gohan has gotten soft and relies on Goku and Vegeta to do everything. There's one scene with Piccolo checking on Gohan and he's disappointed with how he soft around the edges he's gotten. Piccolo and Pan also have a cute relationship. 

Also, Piccolo having a cute plushie collection and like a cute cat mascot phone case is adorable.

I like that the recent Dragon Ball anime revival has given the characters a bit more development and made everyone more well-rounded and relatable as characters. Piccolo actually has a home and it actually looks rather quaint and cozy.

• Like 2

The Evangelion rebuilds were mentioned a few pages back and 2.0 and 3.0+1.0 were the standouts. At the time, I think I still had EOE over all of them, even though EOE starts with a truly reprehensible scene that I took as the biggest middle finger to fan service ever. Didn’t know about how Anno treated his staff; the tortured genius narrative around him is earned but also, don’t do that shit to others. 

Such a weird series: He knew how to get 3/4 the way through the story but went through a half dozen ways to end it and none of them really took. The ambition alone is noteworthy, I guess, but I don’t know if I came out of the Rebuilds necessarily thinking better of the series as a whole. 

Edited by TimLivingston
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, TimLivingston said:

The Evangelion rebuilds were mentioned a few pages back and 2.0 and 3.0+1.0 were the standouts. At the time, I think I still had EOE over all of them, even though EOE starts with a truly reprehensible scene that I took as the biggest middle finger to fan service ever. Didn’t know about how Anno treated his staff; the tortured genius narrative around him is earned but also, don’t do that shit to others. 

Such a weird series: He knew how to get 3/4 the way through the story but went through a half dozen ways to end it and none of them really took. The ambition alone is noteworthy, I guess, but I don’t know if I came out of the Rebuilds necessarily thinking better of the series as a whole. 

I definitely subscribe to the notion of the artistry within Evangelion. But for me, it will always be a series where the parts are greater than the sums. It's clearly iconic, groundbreaking, trendsetting, and revolutionary work. The franchise has withstood the test of time. It's undeniably influential. It also has a level of crossover popularity and notoriety that few shows and properties ever get, even in a post-streaming era.

I think the way the show writes feelings and emotions are very good, but it's general storytelling and writing are not. Rebuild 3.0 kind of ruined the whole Rebuild saga for me. 4.0 kind of course corrected it a little bit and fixed some things for me.

Spoiler

But I can't really accept Shinji and Mari as a pairing when the two barely even interacted with one another. Even in 3.0, all the emotional interaction scenes were either between Shinji and Asuka or Shinji and nu-Rei. Not to mention, I'm sick of reading all these high and mighty think pieces about how the show is so anti-fan service, moe, etc, and then you have a character like Mari who I find to be more stereotypical and genre conventional than similar characters in "lesser" shows. 

This is just me working my own feelings through EVA, as I'm sure many do. It's a franchise I respect and recognize for a lot of things it does, but there are still many things I don't like about it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Curt McGirt said:

For me it was Camelot Music haha. I've probably said this before but in high school I bought Urotsukidoji for thirty five dollars when I could barely afford gas and weed. 

I saw Urotsukidoji at the Angelika film center in NYC in... 93?

It was a harrowing experience which led to my best friend saying afterward "thanks for inviting me, I'm going to stick my head in an oven"

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

I saw Urotsukidoji at the Angelikailm center in NYC in... 93?

It was a harriwing experience which led to my best friend saying afterward "thanks for invitingme, I'm going to stick my head in an oven"

James

I saw it when it came out on VHS during a midnight viewing event at Atomic Comics in Newport News.  I knew the guy that ran the shop and it was playing on the projection screen during our weekend Unreal Tournament LAN party.  We all needed a hot shower afterwards because we felt completely filthy.  I even got up early on Sunday to go to church and pray for my own soul.

It said Nazi Death Rape Machine right there on the tin.  Why did I not heed my angel voice that shouted "DO NOT WANT~!"?

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

I love the fact that there is even a moment in the film where a character says exactly what we're thinking: "Oh, this is so bad!"

When I purchased it that was off rep alone. I was prepared prior by your Wicked Citys and Fist of the North Stars, Vampire Hunter D, and... shit, I don't think anything else aside from Akira? I didn't have Blockbuster around which was ironically the only chain that carried anime. I read in a Cinefantastique (remember that one?) that it was the hardest core stuff and it certainly looked to be, so I took the plunge. Boy, it was... it was...

• Like 2

There was a guy on our floor in college  who was an anime guy even in late 80s. I don’t think he had stuff like overfiend or iron man, but did had some out of the ordinary stuff. I do think he got me my first whole toon catalog, which had some of that stuff in there. 

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't have Blockbuster around which was ironically the only chain that carried anime. I read in a Cinefantastique (remember that one?) that it was the hardest core stuff and it certainly looked to be, so I took the plunge. Boy, it was... it was...

Suncoast Motion Picture Company was your home for all of the ecchi and Japanese hentai squick you could buy free from judgment.  You might even get recommendations if you asked the right person.  It was good to know that the sales associates had dirtier souls than you did.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, yes, the Suncoast at the mall in Paducah, Kentucky was a home away from home, but Anchor Bay was up and running by then so I was scooping up all the foreign horror they had instead.

I would go out drinking with the Manager and Assistant Manager from Suncoast and the Lost Prevention Manager at Tower Video who was a gigantic Shaw Brothers fan and we'd all swap our Best Of picks.   It was a better time to be alive.  My wushu collection grew by leaps and bounds around that time when I started getting into the Korean wuxia epics like Legend of Evil Lake and The Relentless thanks to my guy at Tower.

Unfortunately, my adult anime collection also started to gain steam.  Little did I realize that the depth of perversion did not end at Wicked City and Ninja Scroll.  That was just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Other moment from seeing Urotsukidoji on the big screen...

My best friend Eric nd I went with my buddy Andrew and his girl at the time, Rita. After the initial shock of the first... what? 30 minutes? The scene where dude has to chop his own member off and replace with a black demon dick led to every guy to groan out in a way you expect guys to do. Rita wasn't having it! She stoodd up in her seat and screamed "IT'S ONE FUCKING PENIS! HOW MANY GIRLS HAVE BEN RAPED IN THIS FUCKIN MOVIE?"

The rest of the screening was quiet, Rita put every single dude in his place.
Toshio Maeda was in  NYC a few years ago and posted publicaly he wanted people to hang out with and lo and behold, my buddy Mark answered and they had a totally cool time talking about artistic influences

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2