DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:57 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

I finally finished the Neon Genesis Evangelion Rebuild movies. Now I know I'm getting old because they were confusing as hell. 

They weren't good. Anno was constantly rewriting them and he treated his staff like absolute shit. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's no longer up, but I downloaded a YouTube upload of an unsubtitled rip of the 1996 direct-to-video Baba anime movie, APO APO World Giant Baba 90 Minute Match. It's essentially a fantasy about Baba needing to step up and defeat an evil masked wrestler. Baba's voiced by Kōichi Yamadera (Spike Spiegel/Ryōji Kaji/Shun Akiyama from Yakuza himself), and he does a good impression in the clips I watched, but Shigeru Chiba (Pilaf/Raditz/Garlic Jr. in Dragon Ball and Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) doesn't even try to imitate Rusher's voice. Among other things, we get a flashback sequence in which Baba his pitching arm destroyed by the shower door accident, attempts to jump off a bridge onto the path of a train, but is stopped by a pack of stray dogs bite-pulling on his trenchcoat.

Edited by KinchStalker

For Macross fans, they announced that all Macross music will be on streaming services starting tomorrow, Nov. 21.  They also announced a special "worldwide blue" VF-25 from Frontier and a Hi-Metal-R VF-0 from Zero as the first worldwide available figures.

It's going to be weird being able to access Macross stuff without having to worry about importation, etc.

(And oy, my wallet's going to take a beating if I get the figures they announced this weekend...Metal Build Hi-Nu, Metal Build Sirbine, Metal Build Guren, Hi-Metal L-Gaim MkII...)

32 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

For Macross fans, they announced that all Macross music will be on streaming services starting tomorrow, Nov. 21.  ...

It's going to be weird being able to access Macross stuff without having to worry about importation, etc.

OMG that is a TON of amazing music! All the old anthems? Mai Yamane's voice? I am SO there.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a deep dive on Evangelion.  Watched the original dub of NGE back in the spring for the first time since.... the mid 90's, maybe?  Watched the Netflix dub of the original series over the past two weeks.  This week I'm watching the Rebuild movies.  Halfway through.  

It turns out I didn't remember much of NGE.   Almost nothing past episode 18.  I find the "Angel of the week" eps sort of tedious, but the show turns really interesting when things start to fall apart and the adult characters start acting like grown-ups.  I can see why people dislike eps. 26 & 26, but they work for me well enough.

Mixed feelings about the movie (End of Evangelion).  Feel like some of it is brilliant, some of it is failed art student randomly tossing paint splatters on the wall and calling it a masterpiece.  Not really sure which parts are which.  Generally feel the first half is too depressing and nihilistic and the back half is too flaky.  Hate to be a curmugeon, but if finding the secret to life and evolving to a higher plane of existence involves my body exploding into a pool of goo when you touch me while my mind gets absorbed into some sort of group consciousness, you can stay the f*** away from me, thx.  I'm going to the batting cages after work.  I still need my body.

Watched the first two parts of Rebuild over the weekend.  May try to barrel through 3.0 and 3.0 + 1.0 tonight and early tomorrow AM since I may not get back to them till next week.  Eh, the last part looks an awful lot like Anno just throwing up his hands and rocketing off the deep end.  Also, I've seen the scene where Shinji and his dad apparently stop their giant robo battle to discuss how grandpa didn't love the dad enough either,  so my expectations are sort of tempered.  

Expecting the back half of Rebuild to be an interesting mess.  We'll see.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched S4 Pt. 1 of Attack on Titan and was really impressed.  I don't love the change in art and animation, but the story really hooked me.  I assume they are just following the plot laid out by the manga, but it still risky changing course and reimagining your monster hunter show as a talky political thriller.  AoT always had some weight to it, but it's still an ambitious pivot.  I have no problem thinking of Eren as the bad guy here, though that might be because it's been awhile since I watched s3.  Curious to see what I make of the show after s4 wraps up and I rewatch the whole thing.

S4 starts on two weeks (1-9, I think).  Wikipedia says the back half of the season is 12 episodes, though I'm not sure where they got that.  Really looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, TheVileOne said:
  Hide contents

Have you ever heard the tragedy of Jet Black the black male? 

Spoiler

Okay my dudes.  Is this supposed to be a Beauty & The Beast / Ready Player One mash up or something?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:42 PM, J.T. said:

Did you guys know that Netflix is reviving Spriggan?

I actually quite enjoyed the original anime movie, so I'm glad something else is finally being done with it. 

I'd really like some sort of Guyver revival, but I think that would require the creator to actually finish the manga storyline, lol.

That reminds me, I finally saw the Guyver live action movie with Mark Hamill and Michael Berryman. My friend's girl and her brother were both out of town so we got together to spin some records and watch movies; I picked that. Bad choice haha. The effects were great of course, but the film...

That movie is a total miss, and honestly I have no idea how they decided to get the rights to this property, and make a 1991 American version of it. Power Rangers hadn’t hit the states yet, and I don’t remember anything about people getting into Japanese mangas like this in the first place.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:37 AM, TheVileOne said:

I actually quite enjoyed the original anime movie, so I'm glad something else is finally being done with it. 

I also enjoyed the movie.  The villains being an evil deep state branch of the Department of Defense might be more believable now than it was back then.

I also remember the animation being pretty awesome and it probably holds up to this very day.  The car and foot chase through Istanbul was particularly memorable.

• Like 1

So will we finally get an ending to Shenmue, but not in the format we hoped.  Let's wait ten years and find out.

The first episode was actually pretty good.  The locations, the people, the dialogue.  You will be sixteen years old again and it will be awesome.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

So will we finally get an ending to Shenmue, but not in the format we hoped.  Let's wait ten years and find out.

The first episode was actually pretty good.  The locations, the people, the dialogue.  You will be sixteen years old again and it will be awesome.

So was Shenmue III some sort of cliffhanger?

It's not really a cliffhanger, but it's a pretty ambiguous ending.  There is definitely more story to tell and that was over twenty years ago.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1