DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Until we know for certain that the old DVDAR thread will be restored, I figured this would do just fine in the interim. So let me start with this: I've been emjoying the hell out of Yamato 2199, I mean sure I know the story backwards and forwards but its such a damn love letter to Matsumoto and Nishizaki. Hopefully it ends here because the last thing we need is a remake of Yamato 2.

James

Watched Redline. That was crazy as shit and a lot of fun. The ending was hilarious.

We started watching Baka and Test on Netflix Instant last night. The whole family thinks it's funny, and the one pervy dude's massive nosebleeds will never get old with me. 

Mostly been watching the ne season of anime which I'll make a few comments on later, but other than that I also re-watched Tower of Druaga over the past week and half. Its not an amazing show, but its much better than I recall with some strong moments and really fun scenes poking fun at what was likely the original Druaga game and rpgs in general.

What are some of the best stand alone (not part of any tv series or franchise) movies to come out in the past 3-4 years ??? Besides Ghibli films....

I finally watched Summer Wars a couple of days ago and was really disapointed after all of the hype. Mostly because I found a good portion of the cast to be highly annoying. Did love The Girl Who Lept Through Time however when I watched that a few years back so Hosoda's 1 & 1 with me now.

I do have Wolf Children downloaded so i'll watch that soon to see which way the tie gets broken. 

Since coming home from Pacific Rim, i went down the wormhole on youtube of watching 60s/70s anime theme songs.

Marine Boy still creeps me out.

astro boy was set in 2000.

My favorite anime youtube clip is still the Mach Go Go credits with fake translation.

Probably fits better in here, but if you have a PS3 and a big Macross fan, you MUST find a copy of Macross 30.  Other than the random freezes (stupid Artdink coding), it's tremendous fun having, say, Hikaru and Alto as your wingmen while listening to Sheryl as you fly around and shoot random stuff.

As for the new summer anime season, I'd say my favorite so far is a tie between Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu and Danganropa, although I still haven't seen Silver Spoon or Gatachaman Crowds yet.

New shows of Summer SeasonDog & Scissors - The comedy isn't a %100 for me, but I'm enjoying the show.Kamisama no Inai Nichiyōbi - Somewhat weird show and kind of dark so far, but still has some nice bits of comedy. I see potential in this one though it could still go either way by the end.Brothers Conflict - Kind of boring reverse harem. Whats worse is that lead character comes across a similar to my least favorite lead character from another 2013 show in Amnesia. Same damn voice actress too. Might give it another episode or two before I drop it.Rozen Maiden - Only a clip show of the first season so far. Its been forever since I watched, but I'm pretty sure there was a bit too much missing here to keep people properly caught up.Free - Sports anime with a bit too much pretty boys with moe elements for my tastes. The show is actually fine, but I'm not sure I will watch it.Senki Zesshō Symphogear G - I'm not sure how the hell this got another season. First episode back wasn't bad though.Dangan Ronpa the Animation - Murder Mystery/Thriller of the season. First episode was a pretty solid intro. The show has definite potential and so far its easily the best & most interesting show of the new season for me.

Blood Lad - Pretty decent comedy so far.il sole penetra le illusioni - Similar to Madoka in going for Magical school girl with darker vibes. Looks like it will be a little lighter though. I don't hate it or like it yet.The Eccentric Family - Ok so far. Dug the first episode though the words to describe it escape me right now.Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist - general action/comedy, decent so farFantasista Doll - Card game falling into the general action/comedy. Not sure what to think of it yet though the first episode wasn't bad. The OP does make me want to hurt someone though.Hakkenden S2  - Ok so far.Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3 - School Girls playing survival games. It has an odd charm to it. Seeing that I liked Girls und Panzer I probably will enjoy this as it seems similar.Watamote - Not sure about this one. Its kind of funny, but really needs an actual cast outside of lead girl and her younger brother.Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu and Keiji - I'm still not quite sure what I was watchingSunday Without God - The Setting is interesting, but I don't expect much. Still I enjoyed the first episode well enough and will likely stick with it.Silver Spoon - Comedy following a guy at a Farming and agriculture university. Its by Full Metal Alchemist's writer. Pretty damn fun so far thought I suspect it will tell me far more about farming than I wish to know.Servant x Service - It reminds me of Working, but its not quite as fun and little more bland.Monogatari S2 - Absolutely loving it so far. its great seeing things from another perspective aside from Araragi. You also can't go wrong focusing an arc on the relationship between Senjogahara and Hanekawa.

Monogatari is by far my favorite show of the season, but that was kind of expected. I'm sure The World only God Knows will also be up there when I finally get to it. Otherwise I'm probably digging Silver Spoon and Danganropa the most out of the actual new shows of the season. Still need to catch Gatchman Crowds which will likely happen tonight

It's all about PRINCE OF TENNIS.

The best part of that show was when the one kid got laughed out of the store because he asked for a book on how to play doubles, which of course would probably happen in real life but for very different reasons.I'm probably late to the party, but I have been watching Attack on Titan, which is pretty awesome through the first ten episodes or so.

Bebop had a pretty strong following in Japan doing well with the Animage crowd but wasn't what what you'd call a mainstream hit. It really was the defining work for Yoko Kanno though.

James

Where the heck do people find the time. I started that show about the Hero and the Demon King and liked it a lot but after about six episodes I got distracted by life.

I tend to watch 3 or so shows/episodes a night usually before I go to sleep.

Where the heck do people find the time. I started that show about the Hero and the Demon King and liked it a lot but after about six episodes I got distracted by life.

I have a hour and a half commute to and from work so I try to watch a couple of episodes each day.

Although I don't watch every new show these days; I'm tired of pure moe shows.  It's allowed me to catch up on my backlog, though.  Like, right now I've also been watching Galactic Cyclone Braiger.

• Like 1

Braiger OP

BRHQjqtojwI

Its one of those early Super Robot/Sc-ifi shows with a team of mercenary/super spies being given a Super Robot to bust intergalactic crime syndicates. At least that's the concept. How well its executed... well ask dogwelder. :) 

James 

I'm about to sit down and watch Gatchaman CROWDS actually... I'm already boiling over with rage from having seen the character designs and opening!

I'm already seeing this as like Yuusha Reideen v. Chouja Reideen (right down to the armored suits)

James

The problem is, if they had called it anything BU Gatchaman it would be ok with me but they slapped on the name of one of the greatest of all time. I mean it takes the concept of "Alien technology aiding humanity" from the original series but the designs are just so awful. If they had maybe done a direct sequel to Gatchaman Fighter, with the original team returning to Earth decades after their death, then maybe I'd be on board but Gatchaman isn't teenagers in powered armor. Taking the "science ninjas" v. Global Terrorist  element away is like taking the martial arts aspect out of Hokuto No Ken and using that name to tell the story of a boy who owns a dress shop trying to save it from his brother that wants to make the store into a giant chain of dress shops. 

My earlier comparison of Gatchaman CROWDS is to Kagaku Ninja Tai Gatchaman as Chouja Reideen is to Yuusha Reideen is spot on the money so far.

James