DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

The current arc of Black Clover feels.....weird. Its a filler arc, but instead of the typical shonen you expect they have been focused on societal issues and extremism all building off of the general story and world that has been built so far. It might actually be the best arc in the show, but its also is decently beyond what they normally are going for. Its good, but it just feels so odd to see in this show because its very much a typical shonen.

I think it's interesting, but it's also moving very slowly. I find it hard to find suspension of disbelief that you had all the top knights in the kingdom ready to pounce on the Magic Parliament traitors and the cultists, but they all still got away. Seemed like a waste to bust out all those big guns. They really had no way to counter them about to conduct a public execution on innocent civilians?

And now we've gone in the complete opposite direction with the couple wanting revenge on Clover and wanting to do so by defecting to Spade in the hope of getting Devil Powers. And then you have the other cultists who worship Asta, but don't bend to the fact when he's telling them this is all wrong.

Edited by TheVileOne

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I find it hard to find suspension of disbelief that you had all the top knights in the kingdom ready to pounce on the Magic Parliament traitors and the cultists, but they all still got away. Seemed like a waste to bust out all those big guns. They really had no way to counter them about to conduct a public execution on innocent civilians?

It wasn't all the top knights, just a decent bit of them. They also couldn't pounce because the the cultists used the angry mob as hostages. 

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

And now we've gone in the complete opposite direction with the lesbian couple wanting revenge on Clover and wanting to do so by defecting to Spade in the hope of getting Devil Powers. And then you have the other cultists who worship Asta, but don't bend to the fact when he's telling them this is all wrong.

I liked this. While they have a great respect for Asta, they are way too angry to have his outlook.

I think the pace has generally worked well. Its not the usually hyper action arc so things are taking their time to build. its also why the arc feels weird. Its not at all what had been standard in the show beforehand.

Edited by Eivion

48 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Do these Rebuilds suck as much as the Original?

The third Rebuild movie sucked even worse than the original.  ?

(I think I wrote a review of it when it came out on the prior version of the DVDVR board.  It's a real confusing hot mess.)

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its hard to be excited as I have already forgotten what happened in those films.

The studio already said it was bullshit.

Thank god.  It seemed unlikely, but who knows.  Of course, the last part may well feel like it's six hours long.  The last episode of Evangelion certainly did.

I liked the third Rebuild film quite a bit, although, yeah, I'm going to have to go back and watch parts 1-3 before I watch 4.  IIRC, 3 diverged from NGE more than the first two films and was hard to follow.

FWIW, I recommend Evangelion Rebuild highly.

• Like 1

Part 2 is great. It has one of those crowd pleasing twists that you don’t expect from the series. I don’t mind the dark outcome at the beginning of Part 3. My issue comes from them not subverting the bleakness like they did in the 2nd film. So it leaves you with a “That’s it?”.

• 1 month later...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-09/sony-funimation-global-group-to-acquire-crunchyroll-for-usd1.175-billion-in-cash/.167254

The anime streaming service Crunchyroll announced on Wednesday that Sony's Funimation Global Group will acquire Crunchyroll. Funimation's website also confirmed the acquisition. Sony reports that the purchase price is US$1.175 billion, to be paid in cash at closing. None of the companies have provided any further details about the acquisition, and the deal is still awaiting regulatory approvals and other conditions.

The Dracula movie was a riot. It was based off of Marvel's Tomb of Dracula (paging@The Natural) and I guess sticks fairly close to the main story and characters, except it's Japanese so it has to be completely insane. There's a Satanic cult, a big naked Satan himself, an army of vampire zombies, Dracula being turned mortal and having to roll somebody for money to eat a hamburger(!!!), Dracula's son "Janus" ends up being the probable reincarnation of Jesus only he's got a superhero costume, etc. Watch it with the subtitles; at one point they translate to Count Chocula haha. 

Unfortunately there isn't any Blade, and it isn't as violent as I remembered... except for the silhouette of a field of impaled corpses. 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Dracula movie was a riot. It was based off of Marvel's Tomb of Dracula and I guess sticks fairly close to the main story and characters,

Most, if not all, the plot elements come from the Marvel series.  For whatever reason, Toei tried to adapt the entire Tomb of Dracula run into a 90-minute film, so plot threads that happened years apart in the comics get crammed into the same period of time in the movie.

Truly terrible movie, though it is worth some giggles in a MST3K sorta way.  The animation is bad and cheaply done, the English dub is worse, and some of the Engrish is hilarious.  There's a shot of Janus' tombstone where the the text clearly reads "Janus Rest in Peaee"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...