DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Ape - have you tried looking at different promotions? like a pwg or njpw?

Or is it burnout of wrestling in total?

Not quite a burnout, but I'm kind of over watching individual matches in a vacuum, y'know? And I don't have the money to buy NJPW streams or PWG DVDs.

I didn't watch any WWE at all for over four years between 2006 and 2010. The last show I watched was the Royal Rumble 2006. I hated the WWE for quite a long time before that, but at that point I just asked myself: "Why am I doing this to myself? I hate all of this."

I didn't return to WWE until February of 2010. What was it that finally brought me back to WWE? The very first episode of NXT starring Daniel Bryan. Somehow that managed to reinvigorate my love for WWE.

So yeah, just stop watching for a while. Maybe you'll come back at some later point and find something you can enjoy.

It's funny, the Bray Wyatt promo from Monday night made me have the same thoughts posted here about how hard it is to get over talent on a week to week basis. Bray is the best promo in years, has been in a bunch of interesting storylines, gets a HUGE pop for his entrance, is put over hard by the announcers.........and people still have started chanting "What" and "boring" during his live promos. I agree with everyone that creative is weak right now, but it's a pretty slippery slope. They invest a huge amount of time and effort getting a really unique character over, a character that is ostensibly exactly what the audience says they are clamoring for, and after two or three months, the audience has decided to move on. Why bother writing vignettes and good promos for a good performer, when the same cycle can be accomplished with a quarter of the effort? 

We are fickle. 

I think getting trounced by Cena really hurt Bray's credibility. Before that he'd been made to look invincible, even going over Bryan, but since then both him and his followers have been jobbed out and made to look weak.

Honestly, I'm just glad they're pushing someone else up the card. I don't mind Reigns, I like him. I think he just needs to tweak his look a bit, and cut back on the Superman punch before it gets over-exposed. I agree these start-stop pushes are really hurting the roster, and it's going to be really interesting to see what happens when Cena and Orton hang it up or at least switch to a part-time schedule.

Completely agree about the overuse of the punch.  The guy has two finishers, there's no reason he has to bust out both in every match.  It would be a much bigger deal if it came out maybe once or twice a month.  But that's how WWE is.  You do something they like, you have to do it in EVERY MATCH.

Reigns is really reliant on his signature moves and his finisher. There's not much there in-ring for him between all those things. I know WWE style is very much predicated on hitting signature spots (or having them reversed so you can hit them later), but Reigns's reliance on those things is overkill even for the style. 

He needs to get an upper-midcard feud with a guy that can help him grow in the ring and learn to space his spots out better (and what to do in between going for those spots). 

The Wyatts have lost their mystique at this point, plus Bray Wyatt was protected a bit in those trios matches or being matched up against Bryan. Bray's best match was that Rumble match. He badly needs a feud with a D-Bryan type to help him along in the ring. 

I personally do not enjoy Punk at all and I think he's a mediocre guy in the ring overall, but he had a very good sense of how to pace a match the way WWE likes it. They could really very badly use him as a heel against Reigns or as a face against Bray Wyatt in an extended feud to really get those guys working closer to a main event level in the ring. 

Missing Bryan and Punk at the same time has turned out to be really bad for the development of some of the guys they want to push because both those guys could have been great partners to help those younger dudes gain experience. 

I'm just hoping that at this point, Luke Harper can get away from the sinking ship that is the Wyatt Family and get a big push of his own as a singles guy. He's going to be the guy that I get the most frustrated for over his stop-start pushing, even more than Cesaro, when he eventually breaks away. 

• Like 1

PWInsider

Now that WWE has officially announced KENTA has been signed, we've been asked a lot about Fergal "Prince" Devitt coming in. We are told he is signed and an official announcement is indeed forthcoming, but there's been no real timetable as to when that may be.

I guess this Tweet yesterday was Devitt's way of celebrating it:

2v8i9g0.jpg

YAY!

I've been saying the same thing as Super Ape for almost 2 years.  The work is generally good, but I mentioned sometime back, that WWE doesn't work in a vacuum.  Someone will put over a match that everyone went crazy about, I'll watch it and say "that was fine", because I have no attachment to anyone on the roster, or the stories going in. 

That's generally how I find myself feeling about '90's All-Japan (and the later ROH that everyone loved) and I lived through watching that back when it was current.  I recognize a lot of it as excellent matches, but I just don't care in a sense.  I'm curious (and not in a sarcastic way): does ANY wrestling match work only in a vacuum?  Some random lucha?  NJPW juniors from the '90's?  Bizarre WAR six-mans?  Battlarts?  Lebell's Monster?  I mean, there has to be SOME connection for it to work, even beyond the greatest match ever between Wrestler A and Wrestler B, doesn't there?  If someone loves Flair/Steamboat, it's because they know Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat and feel some sort of association with them, isn't it?

The Wyatts were super over until they got jobbed out for three months straight.  They'd still be over huge if they could be looked at as a credible threat.  Bray Wyatt losing the Cena fued killed him dead.  There is just no way to have a three man stable lose to one person and still be taken seriously.  Honestly, what would Cena have lost if he couldn't overcome the odds of the Wyatt Family?  There are three of them, they are collectively about a half ton of man, and they have some sort of connection to the supernatural.  If Cena loses, he loses nothing and gains an opportunity for future revenge.  If Cena overcomes the odds on his own, the Wyatts lose all credibility. 

With that said, The Shield and the Wyatts just had two of the best debut years of all time.  With them also trying to revamp the tag team division, why don't they bring all their talent up as a team?  That way they could introduce new talent without having them have to get over as individuals.  They can have them on TV every week and eventually have a ready made fued when the teams break up and the workers go solo.  I also think that they should keep the Usos and Dust Brothers as permanent teams. Those two teams should be treated as the perennial teams to beat, the Usos are essentially useless as individuals and the Dust Brothers are much better together than apart. 

I think their biggest problem as a promotion is that they don't use their roster constructively.  They're paying guys like Otunga, R-Truth, Gabriel, Kidd, Slater, and Ryder to do nothing.  Why not team those guys up and use the tag division to get young guys over.  Let the division be basically be the next level of NXT and let fans get to know their new guys and let the new guys grow in front of the fans eyes.

• Like 3

The Wyatts were super over until they got jobbed out for three months straight. They'd still be over huge if they could be looked at as a credible threat. Bray Wyatt losing the Cena fued killed him dead. There is just no way to have a three man stable lose to one person and still be taken seriously. Honestly, what would Cena have lost if he couldn't overcome the odds of the Wyatt Family? There are three of them, they are collectively about a half ton of man, and they have some sort of connection to the supernatural. If Cena loses, he loses nothing and gains an opportunity for future revenge. If Cena overcomes the odds on his own, the Wyatts lose all credibility.

With that said, The Shield and the Wyatts just had two of the best debut years of all time. With them also trying to revamp the tag team division, why don't they bring all their talent up as a team? That way they could introduce new talent without having them have to get over as individuals. They can have them on TV every week and eventually have a ready made fued when the teams break up and the workers go solo. I also think that they should keep the Usos and Dust Brothers as permanent teams. Those two teams should be treated as the perennial teams to beat, the Usos are essentially useless as individuals and the Dust Brothers are much better together than apart.

I think their biggest problem as a promotion is that they don't use their roster constructively. They're paying guys like Otunga, R-Truth, Gabriel, Kidd, Slater, and Ryder to do nothing. Why not team those guys up and use the tag division to get young guys over. Let the division be basically be the next level of NXT and let fans get to know their new guys and let the new guys grow in front of the fans eyes.

Stop making sense!!!

• Like 1

OK, I think they should bring in Devitt as Hornswaggles illegitimate son and make him dress as a leprechaun.

I would enjoy that.

Seriously though, pair him up with Becky Lynch and have Finlay be their on-screen manager, then have all three of them beat the piss out of people. I'm just assuming Devit'll get the "he's Irish" treatment in this idea. 

• Like 1

OK, I think they should bring in Devitt as Hornswaggles illegitimate son and make him dress as a leprechaun.

I would enjoy that.

Seriously though, pair him up with Becky Lynch and have Finlay be their on-screen manager, then have all three of them beat the piss out of people. I'm just assuming Devit'll get the "he's Irish" treatment in this idea. 

I think they should team him with Kenta and have them be the guys who have kicked ass all around the world.  Then they break up and put on really good, stiff matches, against each other that make everyone want to see them work with everyone else on the roster, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

In his interview with Renee, she asked KENTA what his style was and he responded "My style is kick. So I want to kick your ass."

I'm pretty sure "My Style is Kick" would go over huge.

• Like 7

I know he's older and a bit broken down, but I am really excited about KENTA coming to WWE, NXT in particular. 

I still have hope that WWE will go further beyond just signing Devitt and KENTA and look to Japan to bring in guys who have primarily worked there more often. I've mentioned before how much I would love to see a WWE/NJPW working agreement, something like they send guys here to work primarily in NXT and get better at what is now basically the mainstream U.S. style of wrestling. They could also work on their English and promo cutting if they would like down there, and it would be a friendly place for them. WWE could send guys back to NJPW to get some flavor in their style. We were just talking about Roman Reigns, who I think could learn a lot working with Ishii or whoever for a little while. 

Damien Sandow has to be one of the most idiotic guys in wrestling.  This guy keeps dressing up like a tool, hoping to gain respect or something, only to get the shit kicked out of him.  Then, instead of giving up and figuring it's not worth it, he continues to do it and he keeps getting shut down.  Does he just figure "today's the day it might work?"  What does he have to gain by dressing up like an idiot?  I thought he was supposed to be an intellectual but he seems more like a dumb idiot.  The average wrestling fan would've given up a long time ago.  He has less intelligence than a wrestling fan.

Hearing it, I prefer the theory just told to me recently:

During "Occupy Raw", the fans and Daniel Bryan rush the ring in protest to get their way. This directly leads to The Authority being forced to fight Bryan, leading to Bryan beating HHH, winning the title, and giving The Authority their ultimate comeuppance. 

However, the first way HHH and Stephanie tried to stop the act was by starting a new match- sending Damien Sandow out to the ring, Sandow, however, was scared off by the mob and refused to fight them, staying away from the ring.

Shortly after Wrestlemania, Sandow began dressing up as random people and doing this.

You are now aware: The "Sandow dresses up as an idiot" storyline/gimmick is Damien Sandow being kayfabe-punished by The Authority for refusing to fight at Occupy Raw- but since Sandow is a coward, he won't come right out and finger The Authority for making him do it.

• Like 2

Damien Sandow has to be one of the most idiotic guys in wrestling.  This guy keeps dressing up like a tool, hoping to gain respect or something, only to get the shit kicked out of him.  Then, instead of giving up and figuring it's not worth it, he continues to do it and he keeps getting shut down.  Does he just figure "today's the day it might work?"  What does he have to gain by dressing up like an idiot?  I thought he was supposed to be an intellectual but he seems more like a dumb idiot.  The average wrestling fan would've given up a long time ago.  He has less intelligence than a wrestling fan.

Hearing it, I prefer the theory just told to me recently:

During "Occupy Raw", the fans and Daniel Bryan rush the ring in protest to get their way. This directly leads to The Authority being forced to fight Bryan, leading to Bryan beating HHH, winning the title, and giving The Authority their ultimate comeuppance. 

However, the first way HHH and Stephanie tried to stop the act was by starting a new match- sending Damien Sandow out to the ring, Sandow, however, was scared off by the mob and refused to fight them, staying away from the ring.

Shortly after Wrestlemania, Sandow began dressing up as random people and doing this.

You are now aware: The "Sandow dresses up as an idiot" storyline/gimmick is Damien Sandow being kayfabe-punished by The Authority for refusing to fight at Occupy Raw- but since Sandow is a coward, he won't come right out and finger The Authority for making him do it.

That actually fits in with the "handcuffed" thing he was doing for a couple weeks.

In his interview with Renee, she asked KENTA what his style was and he responded "My style is kick. So I want to kick your ass."

I want my style to be kick too, but I don't think I can pull it off.  Maybe I'll just admit my style is slap?

I'm pretty sure Inoki has "My style is slap" on lockdown.

• Like 1

I would wear a "My Style is Kick" t-shirt every day.

• Like 3

Yeah, judging by the response I've gotten here, I'll probably be taking a break from all things wrestling after this show on Saturday (or others from them after if they hook me in for more... monthly indy thing, you know) other than the e-fed I'm in.  I'm honestly DREADING Kenta in NXT, but my dumbass made a bet with my friend that I'd be forced to watch NXT on his account if Brock beats Cena at SS.  What kind of idiot gambles on wrestling, and why is it me!?