DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

but i dont know why i'm explaining this to y'all anymore like you get what not knowing nerds is like

Careful. You're on the verge of going from "sympathetic guy whose former friends turned out to be twats" to "twat who used to hang out with other twats."

Fair enough, and I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated and out of ways to explain it when it's all pretty obvious to me. Dropping it.

I think the problem might be a false equivalence with wrestling as being an acceptably broad medium like film. Most people understand that film is capable of expressing and showing a lot of varied, horrifying things. People's ideas of wrestling is not broad like that, which is a function of how wrestling portrays itself 99% of the time. Not that I'm wishing wrestling would express that, because that's Chikara, and I have already pissed off enough people today without bringing up my feelings on Chikara.

So for someone's exposure of wrestling to go from "wrestling is the thing with hulk hogan, right" to a grown man roundhouse kicking a child is thoroughly jarring. I don't blame him for being taken aback or for having the worst first impression of it. In a similar situation I would probably feel the same way, to the point where I don't know for sure if I could be cool with knowing someone who might be into that. It's unfortunate, but it happened years ago. People come and go. It's best to accept it.

okay now that my last note on the subject is more rational, NOW i'm dropping it

inspired by someone noting how the SNMEs put the strong stuff first (which was obvious, based on time slot)... most shows put the strong stuff last. How many other promotions/shows went either with SNME "strong stuff first" or with an approach where the most important matches could be anywhere during the show?

I never got Hardcore TV when it was on, but I heard the format varied enough that they wouldn't have the same general layout every week.

Mid-South was the only fed to explicitly say "we have stand-by matches if the main event goes short", right? i've mentioned enjoying what i've seen (decades later) of Mid-South TV, I think.

Wrestling isn't the only thing where the uninitiated will get needlessly offended by things that really are perfectly fine.  Depending on your line of work, or friends, you have to be careful about lots of things.

Don't tell people you like "How did this get made" because if one of your coworkers listens and hears Jason Mantzoukas make an outrageous sex joke you're suddenly Jack the Ripper.

Don't tell people you like horror movies beyond say PARANORMAL ACTIVITY because if one of your in-laws sees a slasher movie you're suddenly a stone cold psychopath.

There's just a lot of people who can't handle a lot of stuff and who don't have the imagination to know when they're in the presence of something they are not quite getting.   Some people can't think in layers.  They see what they think they see on the surface and pass judgement based on that.  Reality for them is a flat line...no depth.  Everything is literal and art is merely a simple avatar of morality.  It is either uplifting or it is immoral.

Unfortunately making your way through the world means taking careful measure of who can deal with what. 

That Omega match was hilarious.  But getting that means you have to be able to at least have an experienced enough eye to  see how well she is performing and how well they are working together.  You have to already be in the habit of enjoying wrestling as an exhibition of acrobatics and psychology.  And that's just too advanced for most people.

And the only troubling thing about that kid was how good she is.  She's clearly spending waaaaaaay too much of her time working in wrestling gyms and not on, like, spelling and shit.  By the time she's an adult she's going to be a hardened ring thug.

• Like 3

inspired by someone noting how the SNMEs put the strong stuff first (which was obvious, based on time slot)... most shows put the strong stuff last. How many other promotions/shows went either with SNME "strong stuff first" or with an approach where the most important matches could be anywhere during the show?

I never got Hardcore TV when it was on, but I heard the format varied enough that they wouldn't have the same general layout every week.

Mid-South was the only fed to explicitly say "we have stand-by matches if the main event goes short", right? i've mentioned enjoying what i've seen (decades later) of Mid-South TV, I think.

The early Raws were like this.  I'm going through 1994, and I find it hard to keep interest past the halfway point, because it's 1. Awesome main event match, 2. PPV control center 3. Squashes 4. Possible lesser main event or Kings Court.  I love squashes but not AFTER the main.

The difference between violence against kids/women in movies and wrestling is that (unless you're John Landis, etc) a movie set is a very controlled environment, monitored by EMTs, child welfare, etc. and a wrestling ring is not.  There's also the simulated/real violence argument.

For the record, I was not OK with Hit Girl AT ALL, but especially when she was getting the crap beat out of her.

My one wanted to watch a bloody brawl so I loaded up the Foley/Edge vs Dreamer/Funk match and he loved the fuck out of out....until Edge simulated raping Beulah, he turned it right off and didn't even watch the finish.I tried explaining these guys villains, and he'll watch any nasty torture horror movie but he couldn't deal with it in wrestling

I know for myself, a huge reason why I could never get into the divas division is because my brain just doesn't want to watch women getting hurt. This kind of worked violence isn't offensive, its just something id rather not have to witness.

• Like 1

Yet another wrestling confession...

I am having an awful time trying to convince myself to watch Battleground. The WWE had a month to sell me on it and they didn't. Am I a bad fan or did they drop the ball?

Weird that anyone would ask themselves that, to be honest... But, I'm passing on tonight's PPV too. The first one since the launch of the Network that I won't be watching live.

I am having an awful time trying to convince myself to watch Battleground. The WWE had a month to sell me on it and they didn't. Am I a bad fan or did they drop the ball?

It'll be worth it for Cena being laid out by Brock at the end and Ambrose/Rollins has all the potential in the world to be one of the matches of the year, it feels the most important match on the show.

I didn't know so many people were so uptight about watching wrestling, jeez.

It'll be worth it for Cena being laid out by Brock at the end and Ambrose/Rollins has all the potential in the world to be one of the matches of the year, it feels the most important match on the show.

I didn't know so many people were so uptight about watching wrestling, jeez.

Seriously. A bunch of care lords out there.

I'm going to a homeowner's association meeting.

• Like 2

Stand-by matches were a staple of territory wrestling TV shows. I think it was the territories' way to put it into our heads that the matches could end at any time.

• Like 1