DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

What's the hate about Kenny Omega about? I totally loved his match against the girl and Yoshihiko is awesome! Are you crazy?

Seriously, some people just can't wait to get offended by something.

I'm sure that little girl had the time of her life.

1) if you have the time of your life at age 9, BUMMER.

2) I think I'm entitled to hate on a dude who cost me good, close friendships with his bullshit. I think I'm in the clear to do that. Like, you know how people say "did he kick your dog or something?" He didn't but because of that video I lost the respect of a good man I confided in while my dad was dying, so fuck Kenny Omega.

Don't act like "grown man attacks a child" is an easy thing to understand for anyone outside the wrestling bubble.

What's the hate about Kenny Omega about? I totally loved his match against the girl and Yoshihiko is awesome! Are you crazy?

2) I think I'm entitled to hate on a dude who cost me good, close friendships with his bullshit. I think I'm in the clear to do that. Like, you know how people say "did he kick your dog or something?" He didn't but because of that video I lost the respect of a good man I confided in while my dad was dying, so fuck Kenny Omega.

Don't act like "grown man attacks a child" is an easy thing to understand for anyone outside the wrestling bubble.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to take Lamp's side here. I know that if someone who didn't "get" wrestling saw something like that or the Yoshihiko stuff and knew I like puro, they'd either run away from me screaming or use that to try and get me fired. Same as if someone knew I was a wrestling fan when fans were popping at women getting tabled by the Dudleys way back when.

If your friends are abandoning you over a Kenny Omega match, you may need to get a better class of friends, because that is some seriously weak shit. It sucks that you got treated like that, but I think it says more about your friends than it does you, wrestling, or Omega.

• Like 20

If your friends are abandoning you over a Kenny Omega match, you may need to get a better class of friends, because that is some seriously weak shit. It sucks that you got treated like that, but I think it says more about your friends than it does you, wrestling, or Omega.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with those people?

• Like 6

See, if the video wasn't a grown man attacking a child for entertainment it would be easier for me to say "yeah fuck them," instead of "fair enough." I would rather have friends that don't like that shit. What he said to me was "I'm never going to be able to look at you or wrestling the same way now," and our then shared circle agreed. What sucks is this is a totally rational response! It's a fucking creepy video, and I don't know if I'd ever be able to disassociate those things either were our positions switched. Shit, I've thought the same thing about people who are way into anime. I know it's not all that, but the first image I free assocate to anime is fucked up shit.

Wrestling does some shit that's shameful to behold, and I just wonder about the compulsion to defend it.

EDIT: Also, holy shit, wasn't the prompt "what did wrestling do that embarrassed you?" That rates regardless.

• Like 1

I was looking for a used copy of FIFA at my local game shop when I found a copy of AAA Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring for the Xbox 360. It plays really, really differently from most wrestling games. I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's kinda fun! I'm about three matches in and still getting used to timing counters. Any tips on being better at this game from anyone who has it?

It has me wanting to watch some AAA, actually.

Counters are all you need, really.

I need to check the leaderboards on that game because Tromataker and I were in good standing for a while. I think we were the only people playing it.

Yeah for a long time it was just me in the states, you in Canada, and like five Mexican dudes. We were basically a straight version of the Can Am Connection
  • Like 2

It's a comedy match (I assume? I honestly don't know the context.), the girl obviously wasn't hurt, wrestling is a work--it's not nearly enough to abandon a friend over. A couple of friends of mine who aren't fans have seen it and don't think I'm some freak who should be mocked and shunned. I get that some people might not be amused by it, but it's not worth ditching a friend over. Seriously, those guys are just assholes.

• Like 1

Wasn't Paige supposed to be the Anti-Diva?

Well if we are to believe Kevin Dunn is actively sabotaging any and all NXT call up's just to make Triple H look bad, it makes sense the first thing to go would be her Anti-Diva gimmick. It would be amusing though if she beat's AJ and then is like AJ is everything I don't want to be and then goes full on Diva.

I've never been too embarrassed to be a wrestling fan. There are certain segments that I will change the channel because it's some unfunny bullshit but to me trashy television is trashy television. How many people watch the Kardashians or crap on MTV, etc. Their trashy TV is no better than mine.

• Like 1

Your friends sound terrible and you don't need them anyways. That would be like someone watching Evil Dead and then losing respect for you because you watch movies and that movie had a tree rape.

It shouldn't be that hard to say "A grown man wrestling a kid isn't the type of thing that I am into."

• Like 6

Kick-Ass was exactly what I thought of to.

I mean, that scene is more than a little uncomfortable, but it's not something I can see ending a friendship over.  And it certainly wouldn't be "you watch comic book movies?  But that one had the little girl get the shit beat out of her."  "I didn't like that movie."  "It was creepy, we can't be friends anymore."

• Like 1

but i dont know why i'm explaining this to y'all anymore like you get what not knowing nerds is like

Careful. You're on the verge of going from "sympathetic guy whose former friends turned out to be twats" to "twat who used to hang out with other twats."

• Like 6

but i dont know why i'm explaining this to y'all anymore like you get what not knowing nerds is like

Careful. You're on the verge of going from "sympathetic guy whose former friends turned out to be twats" to "twat who used to hang out with other twats."

Fair enough, and I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated and out of ways to explain it when it's all pretty obvious to me. Dropping it.

I think the problem might be a false equivalence with wrestling as being an acceptably broad medium like film. Most people understand that film is capable of expressing and showing a lot of varied, horrifying things. People's ideas of wrestling is not broad like that, which is a function of how wrestling portrays itself 99% of the time. Not that I'm wishing wrestling would express that, because that's Chikara, and I have already pissed off enough people today without bringing up my feelings on Chikara.

So for someone's exposure of wrestling to go from "wrestling is the thing with hulk hogan, right" to a grown man roundhouse kicking a child is thoroughly jarring. I don't blame him for being taken aback or for having the worst first impression of it. In a similar situation I would probably feel the same way, to the point where I don't know for sure if I could be cool with knowing someone who might be into that. It's unfortunate, but it happened years ago. People come and go. It's best to accept it.

okay now that my last note on the subject is more rational, NOW i'm dropping it

inspired by someone noting how the SNMEs put the strong stuff first (which was obvious, based on time slot)... most shows put the strong stuff last. How many other promotions/shows went either with SNME "strong stuff first" or with an approach where the most important matches could be anywhere during the show?

I never got Hardcore TV when it was on, but I heard the format varied enough that they wouldn't have the same general layout every week.

Mid-South was the only fed to explicitly say "we have stand-by matches if the main event goes short", right? i've mentioned enjoying what i've seen (decades later) of Mid-South TV, I think.

Wrestling isn't the only thing where the uninitiated will get needlessly offended by things that really are perfectly fine.  Depending on your line of work, or friends, you have to be careful about lots of things.

Don't tell people you like "How did this get made" because if one of your coworkers listens and hears Jason Mantzoukas make an outrageous sex joke you're suddenly Jack the Ripper.

Don't tell people you like horror movies beyond say PARANORMAL ACTIVITY because if one of your in-laws sees a slasher movie you're suddenly a stone cold psychopath.

There's just a lot of people who can't handle a lot of stuff and who don't have the imagination to know when they're in the presence of something they are not quite getting.   Some people can't think in layers.  They see what they think they see on the surface and pass judgement based on that.  Reality for them is a flat line...no depth.  Everything is literal and art is merely a simple avatar of morality.  It is either uplifting or it is immoral.

Unfortunately making your way through the world means taking careful measure of who can deal with what. 

That Omega match was hilarious.  But getting that means you have to be able to at least have an experienced enough eye to  see how well she is performing and how well they are working together.  You have to already be in the habit of enjoying wrestling as an exhibition of acrobatics and psychology.  And that's just too advanced for most people.

And the only troubling thing about that kid was how good she is.  She's clearly spending waaaaaaay too much of her time working in wrestling gyms and not on, like, spelling and shit.  By the time she's an adult she's going to be a hardened ring thug.

• Like 3