DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I was just watching a Mickie James/Gail Kim match as part of a "botches" video and the ref counted the pinfall standing outside the ring.  It was the most interesting thing about the entire video, as I assumed the ref always had to be IN the ring (unless in a falls count anywhere match) to count.

It's kind-of messing with my head.

I recall Tommy Young having to stand on the floor to count a few times. Guys would be close to the ropes so he would stand on the outside to get a better vantage point of their shoulders to see if they were down and if they were, he'd just start counting there.

• Like 1

Yeah - Tommy Young did it a bunch because he would always slide to get into position and if the pinfall was close to the ropes he ended up sliding out of the ring.

Yeah - Tommy Young did it a bunch because he would always slide to get into position and if the pinfall was close to the ropes he ended up sliding out of the ring.

There was a discussion about best ring sliders a while back. Tommy Young has to be up there.

I just watched him do the standing pinfall count in a match but I am blanking on what the match was.

Possibly one of the Flair/Funk matches

I remember because the cameraman was in the way and Tommy yelled at him which made me chuckle more than it should

Was Inoki treated like a heel outside Japan? Not really familiar with that.

WCW always treated him as a babyface the few times they brought him in.  Put him over as a legend, etc.  On that note, I'm a little surprised that the Collision in Korea show isn't on the Network.

Bad News Allan turning on Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6mMfTrOWU

Bad News was a face in Stampede for a little bit as well, in addition to his Florida face run.

See, that's the clip I'm talking about.  Bad News is about to beat the living shit out of Stomper's son, and then boom, it's over and Allen is gloating over it.  Is that how it was broadcast because it was too over the top or does the actual beating aside from the first twenty seconds exist?

The actual beating never aired. Bad News piledrove the kid on the floor, full stretcher job, apparently tons of chaos at the Pavillion. Whelan legit quit the show due to the incident. Would love to see the footage of what happened though.

• Like 1

I'm curious how he was treated in WWWF and Europe and anywhere else.

He was always treated as a babyface in WWWF. They did the whole "martial arts expert, international superstar" bit for him.

He was a face in the territories too, although he was often given a silly name like "Tokyo Tom" or "Kazimoto."

Realized something interesting today: Subscribing to the WWE Network has got me re-interested in wrestling while killing my interest in the current product and the Network itself.

Basically, I've been watching WWF 1989-2994 and early 90's WCW, as well as the little bit of territory footage available.  This has gotten me re-interested in the 80's territories as well as early 90's WCW and WWF.  On the other hand, though, I've lost all interest in the current product (or, really, anything after 1996 except maybe the last year of USWA).  Quit watching RAW, watched the last couple PPV but didn't really care if I caught them or not.  Not much interest in TNA or the indys.

I've also found that I'm watching even footage available on the Network on VHS or DVD.  Too many gaps when it comes to WCW, WCCW, etc.  Even some gaps in 80's/90's WWF (like the Saturday Night Main Event specials just now becoming available).  I'm a completest.  I enjoy watching the angles develop.  The Network is more useful to me if I just wanted to watch PPV and old episodes of RAW.

Anyway, the Network has so much, it's a great value, but I'm sure I'll drop it once my six month commitment is up.  And RAW isn't even on my radar right now.  Kinda doubt this is the reaction Vince was going for.

I was hoping Sting would do a few more matches. I'd like to see him against Cena, Lesnar, Taker, HHH and (if it can be arranged) Rock. None of them would be 5 star affairs, but they're as close to a "Dream Match" as you'd get these days.

Bo needs to get people to start following him around as his disciples, feud with the Wyatts, etc.

Titus becomes Bro Dallas

Behold the giant Show Dallas

Eva Marie can even become Ho Dallas

Samoa Joe Dallas will be the shit

• Like 10

How about Instead of doing Undertaker vs. Sting 1 on 1 at Wrestlemania, they do a tag match with The Undertaker & Sting against the Ascension?

Then at the end of the match the Undertaker could turn on Sting and officially pass the torch to the younger wrestlers.

Bo needs to get people to start following him around as his disciples, feud with the Wyatts, etc.

Titus becomes Bro Dallas

Behold the giant Show Dallas

Eva Marie can even become Ho Dallas

Samoa Joe Dallas will be the shit

So...the Dudleys?

How about Instead of doing Undertaker vs. Sting 1 on 1 at Wrestlemania, they do a tag match with The Undertaker & Sting against the Ascension?

Then at the end of the match the Undertaker could turn on Sting and officially pass the torch to the younger wrestlers.

Because no one wants to see that.

• Like 2

Huh, so I read that Masked Man article with Sting. Two things about that:

#1: Is it me, or has Sting always seemed like he was above the business and better than it, despite the fact that he has relied on it for so long?

#2: So SummerSlam really is 

Cena vs Brock for the title