DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

They aren't Arabs, so nobody is going to give a shit. Russians have been heels in wrestling forever and are an accepted part of the landscape. 

You could easily have Lana come out and say she is a pretend Russian and used to be an FSU cowgirl and did the Russian gimmick to get on TV. And she convinced Rusev to pretend to be Russian when he is Bulgarian. 

TNA has never booked an idea that bad and would ruin Lana and Rusev's career. 

Vince?  Vince Russo?  Is that you?

A Vince Russo idea would be to have Darren Young (if he wasn't injured) call out Rusev for working his way through all the black wrestlers on the roster, only to turn and join Lana and Rusev in a pro-Russian stable.

What would happen if WWE wanted Lana/Rusev to do something but Lana/Rusev were uncomfortable with it & said no? As professionals, they still have that option, no? So if something aired that was distasteful, several people would be to blame.

Vince?  Vince Russo?  Is that you?

A Vince Russo idea would be to have Darren Young (if he wasn't injured) call out Rusev for working his way through all the black wrestlers on the roster, only to turn and join Lana and Rusev in a pro-Russian stable.

And dub himself the Krew Chef.

I'd think if anything, they'll just drop the explicit Putin references and play up the generic anti-American sentiment for a bit.

I wouldn't put it past Vince to give Rusev a running Splash as a finisher and call it the Malaysian Crash or something along those lines.

It's too late now, but I would have loved to see 'bare-knuckles fighter' Wade Barrett introduce Rusev as his partner and build him up by saying that Barrett met him in the Bulgarian underground fighting scene. He could spin a gruesome tale about how he witnessed the monster Rusev in action and how they got acquainted. And then have them kill everyone in the tag scene like a modern Miracle Violence Connection.

If I didn't want to see The Wyatt's as tag champions, I would love to see this happen. Jimmy and Jey getting pinballed by Russev's thrust kick and Barrett's Bull Hammah would be fun television.

If they really wanted to get Lana over and get her nuclear heat, they should redo the entire Russian flag angle. Do it in the right down with Zeb being buried under the Russian flag. The heat would be insane.

• Like 1

... So, hey.

After a few years not watching WWF/E, I got back into it when the ECW/WCW invasion came about. I have some memories of a Rhyno/Chris Jericho feud. Back then Rhyno made quite an impression on me. He seemed like a new kind of monster. Not tall, but built like a beast. I haven't seen any of his ECW stuff (apart from some compilations), nor have I seen any of his post-WWE stuff. Was he any good, and could he have made it to a higher level than he was?

He was a good brawler and the GORE GORE GORE was over as a finisher. I think his promos were always going to keep him out of a top spot.

If you can, check out Rhyno/Raven from Backlash 2001.

Rhyno reached his ceiling in WWF/E at the low mid-card. His biggest problems were he is not the best seller, not all that technically sound, and he couldn't promo on his own for anything, so he couldn't step up the card like Edge & Cena did at roughly the same time. Frankly, I think the only reason he became ECW Champion was because there was literally no one left.

But if you needed a lady horrifically hurt, then Rhyno was your guy:

Rhyno was absolutely perfect for ECW: a guy who wasn't all that big but looked big in comparison, not terribly interested in selling, willing to put his body through an obscene amount of punishment, and the swearing that was allowed on ECW was a perfect cover for him having really nothing to say.  You'd see a Rhyno promo in ECW which was just "BLEEP you, I'm gonna gore your BLEEPING BLEEP off." and you'd be like "I think I'd watch that."  Then when he moved up to the big league, he couldn't cover for his lack of promos with cussin' and couldn't cover for his lack of selling with ECW fighting spirit.

That Rhyno piledriver reminded me of watching the last ECW PPV at my parents' house which featured a Missy Hyatt promo where she told Francine will you "fuck him already" about Justin Credible that also feature an innuendo about a submarine sandwich and the characterization of Francine as someone who would only sleep with a guy with a belt (Classy woman as gold-digger motif) that I remember thinking "You know, THIS might be enough embarrassing enough to make me give up wrestling for good" and I really thought about and was curious if there ever was a moment, Benoit incident aside, that made you seriously consider giving up the pro graps as a hobby.  For me it was this promo, as well as JR referring to Pat Patterson as "Poop Stain Patterson" that made me think "Do I really still need this in my life?"

• Like 5

Rhyno was absolutely perfect for ECW: a guy who wasn't all that big but looked big in comparison, not terribly interested in selling, willing to put his body through an obscene amount of punishment, and the swearing that was allowed on ECW was a perfect cover for him having really nothing to say.

so if ECW made it a few more years, Abyss would have made a run in ECW?

......I really thought about and was curious if there ever was a moment, Benoit incident aside, that made you seriously consider giving up the pro graps as a hobby.  For me it was this promo, as well as JR referring to Pat Patterson as "Poop Stain Patterson" that made me think "Do I really still need this in my life?"

I think I can speak for most on the board that we have suffered through so much horrible wrestling and still maintained a love for the sport that it is too late to leave now.

That was difficult to watch. And the guy in the first rowing taking an upskirt photograph and then geekily grinning and nodding to his friend was creepy.

I would only find it disturbing if this were in the confines of real life and not fake pro wrestling. She agreed to take the move in a safe planned spot.  I have no excuses for the guy taking the upskirt picture, some guys have no life.

If I were going to do a list of the guys with the coolest body language and mannerisms, Sid would be way up there, maybe at the top. Even under that mask, he just physically emotes like this fired-up dude who's going to start dishing out powerbombs any moment. 

To answer caley's question, the guest host era was gruesome for me. It was a weekly reminder of how culturally irrelevant wrestling is, and it made the WWE look so desperate for even the hint of a reach-around from Hollywood. At that point, I'd have sooner swallowed a gun than admit to being a wrestling fan. Which is normally the case. But especially then. 

• Like 1