DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Realized something interesting today: Subscribing to the WWE Network has got me re-interested in wrestling while killing my interest in the current product and the Network itself.

Basically, I've been watching WWF 1989-2994 and early 90's WCW, as well as the little bit of territory footage available.  This has gotten me re-interested in the 80's territories as well as early 90's WCW and WWF.  On the other hand, though, I've lost all interest in the current product (or, really, anything after 1996 except maybe the last year of USWA).  Quit watching RAW, watched the last couple PPV but didn't really care if I caught them or not.  Not much interest in TNA or the indys.

I've also found that I'm watching even footage available on the Network on VHS or DVD.  Too many gaps when it comes to WCW, WCCW, etc.  Even some gaps in 80's/90's WWF (like the Saturday Night Main Event specials just now becoming available).  I'm a completest.  I enjoy watching the angles develop.  The Network is more useful to me if I just wanted to watch PPV and old episodes of RAW.

Anyway, the Network has so much, it's a great value, but I'm sure I'll drop it once my six month commitment is up.  And RAW isn't even on my radar right now.  Kinda doubt this is the reaction Vince was going for.

What I wouldn't give to be able to watch Portland on the Network.

This also basically sums up why I haven't even started on the Network; aside from falling into the smark "Vince is the Anti-christ and I don't want to give him a dime" mindset, after a while it becomes glaringly obvious where the old-time footage outshines a lot of today's work; if not in the actual matches, then in the fact that much of the roster is booked with reasons for the fan to care about them, which is more than I can say about WWE nowadays where anyone not in the main event is made to look like a jobber.

I can come up with a whole bunch of critiques but as a whole I absolutely love the network. I'm not the walking talking wrestling encyclopedia some of the members of this board are. There is still so much stuff I haven't seen. There is nothing better than coming home from a long day of work flipping on the network and entering the random wcw clash or ppv vortex. 

I understand why people are disappointed with some of the gaps in footage, and I definitely agree that some of the flaws of current WWE are reflected when watching something like WCW's 1992-1994 shows where everything is way, way better booked. I also know that people here probably have seen much of the footage that I have not seen and are bored with it - those MSG and Toronto shows in Old School are new to me most of the time, but some people here were talking about how they had long since seen them.

For me, there still is just a sheer amount of stuff that I don't even know how I'll get to, and they keep adding more each month. I'm still working through the Clashes/WCW PPVs and they put up SNME too. I have to get back to ECW and World Class, both of which I started and then broke off from. I also broke off from following the weekly RAWs from the beginning, too, and I have to get back to that.

On top of that, NXT is my favorite weekly show right now by a very wide margin, and I get to stream those without having to deal with Hulu.

I see getting access to the current PPVs as a nice way to loosely keep up with what's going on now. I really don't watch RAW or Smackdown at this point unless this board makes a big deal out of a segment or match; then, I track it down to watch it. However, one PPV a month on a Sunday is easy to make time for, and if the shows seem to be getting stronger, then I make time to catch the weekly shows as well. If Ambrose gets a rocket strapped to him at Battleground, then I'll know to start watching RAW and Smackdown more closely. If not, I can just ignore the shows until I see how Summerslam goes.

I'm of the mind that I am being pretty damn undercharged for what the Network is giving me. They could ask for twenty bucks a month and I would pay it without hesitating. I'd still probably stick around at thirty bucks just because of the sheer amount of value that I get just because I do a ton of writing and grading at home, and I have a show going on in the background at the same time to help me work. 

Samoa Joe Dallas will be the shit

Come on Joe, you can get down to 230 if only you Bo-Leeeeeve!

Goddam, if anyone in history has dragged out signing with WWE its Sting, I remember being a teenager waiting for Raven to be announced as signing with WWE but this is taking the goddam biscuit.

Huh, so I read that Masked Man article with Sting. Two things about that:

#1: Is it me, or has Sting always seemed like he was above the business and better than it, despite the fact that he has relied on it for so long?

#2: So SummerSlam really is 

Cena vs Brock for the title

No because he would not have been so giving and selfless. 

How about Instead of doing Undertaker vs. Sting 1 on 1 at Wrestlemania, they do a tag match with The Undertaker & Sting against the Ascension?

Then at the end of the match the Undertaker could turn on Sting and officially pass the torch to the younger wrestlers.

Because no one wants to see that.

I agree that The Ascension are not the guys to put in the match, but I do think this gentleman is on the right track. I think a Sting/Taker tag pairing would probably protect their shortcomings a lot more than versus each other in a one on one match. HHH/Brock would be a pretty complimentary team for them to lock up with. Cena and someone else would be another good pick. They could even put Hogan in as a special referee if the timing is right to pimp Nitro and/or the Monday Night War show on the Network. Flair would be another good choice for a special ref or corner man role given his storied history with Sting.

I'm trying to get hyped stay hyped about Sting's involvement, but I can't help but wonder what might have been if he bit the bullet and came in a few years earlier. Sting heading the Invasion, Sting vs. the NWO in early 2002, Sting vs. Austin, Sting vs. Rock, Sting vs. Shawn, Sting vs. Angle, Sting ending HHH/Evolution's reign of terror on Raw in 2002-2005. It can still be something special if they play their cards right, but WWE's track record in this type of scenario isn't exactly stellar.

• Like 1

Among guys on the full-time WWE roster who you think haven't hit their WWE peak in terms of placement on the card yet, who is the most prominent guy who you would be okay with watching him job cleanly to Sting on a PPV?

Mojo Rawley.

• Like 1

OK, this is... odd.  (Source: PWInsider.com)

Members of Ring of Honor management were in New York City today, meeting with Marvel Comics regarding ways the companies can work together on future potential projects

It's an obvious connection

ROH wrestlers have the selling abilities of a Marvel superhero.

• Like 6

OK, this is... odd. (Source: PWInsider.com)

Members of Ring of Honor management were in New York City today, meeting with Marvel Comics regarding ways the companies can work together on future potential projects

Not true. Superman is a DC property.

Among guys on the full-time WWE roster who you think haven't hit their WWE peak in terms of placement on the card yet, who is the most prominent guy who you would be okay with watching him job cleanly to Sting on a PPV?

Cesaro, if it meant a Heyman turn and Brock beating him down for losing.

Cesaro, if it meant a Heyman turn and Brock beating him down for losing.

Brock/Sting would be a good flashback to Vader/Sting.

Now I want to see Brock vs. Sting.

Brock v Sting (at Rumble?) would actually work. You need a guy who could use Sting as a wrestling buddy and be on offense 90% of the match. That's your best chance of not exposing Sting. Tie it in to takers return and the rest writes itself.

haven't Daniels & Kazarian done stuff for Marvel before when they were in TNA?

They die and come back two years later?

I didn't feel like dredging up the old poll thread on all the releases from WWE a few weeks ago, but it looks like Brodus Clay is going to be at the Monster Mania convention in Cherry Hill, NJ in August.  Of course, also there on the wrestling side of things are going to be Jim Duggan and Roddy Piper (as part of a "They Live" reunion).

I just realized not long ago there are a lot of Philly peeps on the DVDVR; is anyone planning on going to that?  I go regularly since I'm in the Rocky Horror cast that does the show Saturday night, so if we met up that'd be pretty cool.

OK, this is... odd. (Source: PWInsider.com)

Not true. Superman is a DC property.

I was gonna say it could be worse they could sell like DC suoerhero's